Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax k3 sensor Toshiba or Sony

When I bought my K3 I thought that it had a Sony sensor, but recently someone informed me that it had a Toshiba sensor and pointed me to this page SenScore need to scroll down to the Pentax k3.

No matter if the sensor is Toshiba or Sony I´m still very happy with my K3 but I just want to have the facts straight.

09-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a Sony designed sensor, modified by Pentax/Ricoh engineers and manufactured by Toshiba
09-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
It is a Sony designed sensor, modified by Pentax/Ricoh engineers and manufactured by Toshiba
Sounds like "all of the above"

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply Imp !!!

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 03:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like "all of the above"
LOL..LOL...Good one Adam..lol

09-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I dunno

The assumption was made early on (before the actual camera release) that the K-3 shares sensors with the Nikon D7100 and that camera is reputed to use a Toshiba product. Conventional wisdom in Pentaxland (here) has been that it is a Sony sensor. The truth is out there somewhere...

Steve
09-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We've been through this before a long time ago, I believe. It's a Sony made sensor - most likely IMX096. SenScore have just copied and pasted the Nikon D7100 sensor stuff, by the look of it.

They seem a bit lazy at SenScore. They haven't provided manufacturer details for the Nikon D5300 sensor, for example, even though Chipworks have torndown a D5300 and revealed that it uses a Sony IMX193 sensor.
09-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
We've been through this before a long time ago, I believe.
Yes, I just got through reviewing that sordid and infamous thread. In the end, it was confirmed by Ricoh/Pentax in Japan that the sensor is Sony.

Steve

09-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They seem a bit lazy at SenScore.
I would say...they also rate the K-3 far below the D7100

Steve
09-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I dunno

The assumption was made early on (before the actual camera release) that the K-3 shares sensors with the Nikon D7100 and that camera is reputed to use a Toshiba product. Conventional wisdom in Pentaxland (here) has been that it is a Sony sensor. The truth is out there somewhere...

Steve
In all seriousness, didn't Pentax reps end up saying it was made by Sony shortly after the K-3 came out?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
We've been through this before a long time ago, I believe. It's a Sony made sensor - most likely IMX096. SenScore have just copied and pasted the Nikon D7100 sensor stuff, by the look of it.

They seem a bit lazy at SenScore. They haven't provided manufacturer details for the Nikon D5300 sensor, for example, even though Chipworks have torndown a D5300 and revealed that it uses a Sony IMX193 sensor.
Before I posted this thread I read all the pages of the " sordid and infamous thread " ..and in the end, I was right back where I started from since there was no straight answer to the famous question " Who made the !@#& sensor ?"

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 04:57 PM ----------

Yes, I just got through reviewing that sordid and infamous thread. In the end, it was confirmed by Ricoh/Pentax in Japan that the sensor is Sony.

Steve
Hummm I better go back a read the last few pages of the thread again, kinda missed that one..thanks for the heads up !!!

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 05:01 PM ----------

I would say...they also rate the K-3 far below the D7100

Steve
Actually I have the D7100 to thanks for changing over to Pentax and the K3 and all I can say is that I love my camera, heck I like it so much that I'm thinking of buying a used or refurb K5 iiS !!!!

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 05:02 PM ----------

In all seriousness, didn't Pentax reps end up saying it was made by Sony shortly after the K-3 came out?
Man I love a good mystery, kinda makes me feel young again..

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 05:06 PM ----------

By the way, you got some really nice pics in your gallery !!!!

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 05:22 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for their input, really appreciate it !!
09-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
By the way, you got some really nice pics in your gallery !!!!
Thanks!!
09-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think that is what you ended up saying towards the end of the sordid and infamous thread.

Steve
09-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a Sony Exmor IMX193 sensor. 24 MP, up to 8.7 fps full-sensor readout.

A list of Sony Exmor sensors is available here.

—DragonLord
09-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
It's a Sony Exmor IMX193 sensor. 24 MP, up to 8.7 fps full-sensor readout.

A list of Sony Exmor sensors is available here.

—DragonLord
Excellent information Dragon Lord, thank you!!!!
09-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It's a Sony designed and manufactured product out and out. Why? First hand knowledge of Sony FABs.