09-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
scary high ISO
51,200 or go home!

09-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #17
Forum Member

the da 50 over the m 50 or at least an a 50 will make life so much easier if shooting action shots for not that much more. the da 50-200 wr is always shat on as a bad lens but i got mine for 90$ and it is awesome. i just got the 55-300hd and it is only 260$ in the states now which is well worth the cost. is it that much more wherever you are?
09-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My advice is to be patient if you're buying secondhand. ALL of my lenses were purchased used and most were bargains that I won on eBay for much less than the going rate. (eg: DA 35 f/2.4 for $65, and one time a kit with A 18-135 f/3.5, A 50 f/1.7, Super Program film body+winder, filters, and accessories all for less than $90) Once you decide what lens you think you want, read reviews on this forum. Then check current prices on eBay and also recent sold listings to see what kind of bargains you can expect. Do your research and pick a price a little over the low end and only bid up to that. If you lose an auction, just bid on the next one. There are many times I've seen people get into a bidding war in the last few minutes and spend more than current 'Buy it Now' prices on the same lens, so don't let your excitement get the best of you.
09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Do your research and pick a price a little over the low end and only bid up to that. If you lose an auction, just bid on the next one.
Yep. I've used going prices on the marketplace here as a guide and taken a percentage off as my ceiling. If you want it cheap and it's already attracting attention it probably doesn't matter when you put the bids in, but if it's zero bids and going for a song, wait till the last minute if you can to be as sure as you can that nobody has time to get the jump on you.

09-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax F 70-210 might be worth a look also. Noisy AF, but fast, and pretty accurate. between that and your kit 18-55 you have a wide focal range covered, and you can then figure out what your kit lacks, and where you need to upgrade.

For me, i found that the majority of the shots i was unhappy with were in the short tele range, so the 70-210 got replaced with the DA* 50-135. But without first shooting the 70-210 i would have had no idea where my most common range was.
03-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Dear friends

Its me again. Looked back and saw how valuable your advices were. I have used the camera quite a lot since and its still running well. Just wanted to show you all some of the pics I took with Pentax K3. Please feel free to comment and I appreciate any criticisms as it would only help me do better in the coming days and years. I am just building up my kit.
I would like to invest in a good lens useful for landscape photography. Im in the UK and its going to be summer here soon and hence would travel a bit looking to capture some wonderful landscapes.

I currently have the following lenses,
1. Pentax 18-55m WR (Kit lens)
2. Pentax smc DA 50mm 1.8
3. Tamron 90 mm 2.8

While I use the tamron only for macro and potraits sometimes, I use the kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 for landscapes. Could anyone please suggest a good one.

Many thanks for taking time to look into this and your suggestions.

Tikku

---------- Post added 03-08-16 at 07:38 AM ----------

Sorry, forgot to add the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136077409@N05/with/22201002891/
03-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #22

What's your budget?

03-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
So.... yeah. Those picks look really really good for a total beginner. You've got an eye for composition. I think you'll be fine. Enjoy shooting what you have until you realize there's something you want to do but can't without another lens then, go get that lens. Keeps the lens addiction down. Grats on the new camera. Keep those great picks coming.
03-09-2016, 01:53 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by allexinwonderland Quote
What's your budget?
Hi allexin, my budget would be around to a maximum of £80. and I am starting to use a lot of manual focus and not very particular about auto focus. Also, I have knowledge only about the flagship limited and popular lenses but as you know they are quite expensive. I don't know much about takumar lenses or any old pentax lenses with different mounts that have great optics. I am happy to buy adapters to fit them.

The other thing I wanted to ask is, I have lately developed some dust in the sensor. I did a dust alert on the camera and it showed quite a few. The reason, I reckon is that I change lenses between shots (not very often though). So, the other option I had was to buy another pentax camera (like the K20D, K200) as they are available in ebay for around £100 and carry around two cameras. So, please also advice me on some entry - intermediate level pentax DSLRs. Thanks very much for your time in this.

---------- Post added 03-09-16 at 02:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
So.... yeah. Those picks look really really good for a total beginner. You've got an eye for composition. I think you'll be fine. Enjoy shooting what you have until you realize there's something you want to do but can't without another lens then, go get that lens. Keeps the lens addiction down. Grats on the new camera. Keep those great picks coming.
Hi Navmaxlp, thanks very much for your feedback. Yes, I am really enjoying and I think I already suffer from lens addiction There is already a list of lens I am dreaming about (DA* 300mm, DA* 200mm, 50-135mm etc). But don't think I can afford that anytime soon. Hard to resist though. But like you said, I am still learning and a lot to learn and I need to push myself keeping the addiction low.