Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
How about some concert shots? Here are a few from a recent DJ show I photographed. Most of these shots were at iso 1600 - 3200 so there will be some grain. I needed it this high to move my shutter up and stop his movements.

Much noise because of high ISO ?

09-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotorix Quote
Please take some indoor shots and share .. want to see the sharpness...

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 06:56 AM ----------

Please share indoor shots

I know this is not indoor but I have this one I'm most proud of (outdoors).

https://flic.kr/p/yitiy3
09-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
I know this is not indoor but I have this one I'm most proud of (outdoors).

https://flic.kr/p/yitiy3
Awesome pixel perfection but i want to see indoor shot because right now my main purpose of buying lens is indoor particular wedding shots andcloseups
09-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome pixel perfection but i want to see indoor shot because right now my main purpose of buying lens is indoor particular wedding shots andcloseups
Ahhhh.... welp, you won't do much better than this lens. Unless you want to swing for the 18-35 1.8. That is a real gem of a lens.

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 09:56 AM ----------

Much noise because of high ISO ?
There really wasn't that much noise at 3200. The k-5ii does really well with this. It just decreases sharpness as apposed to 800 and below which in my opinion is where the k-5, k-5ii, and k-5iis shine.

If you are indoors in a modestly lit room for weddings and such, you can expect the following settings GENERALLY.

ISO: 800-1600
Shutter: 80-120
f2.8 - f4

I think the 17-50 2.8 will supply the quality and sharpness you need for wedding work. Obviously these base settings are subjective as every venu and situation is different. Even if you have to push your gear like I did in the concert photos, I think you will come out with some wonderful shots. If you want to drop the ISO even more, I would highly suggest you take some cash and buy a flash or a few flashes and put them on light stands with wireless tirggers. This will probably get you better results than spending extra money on other more expensive lenses.

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 10:03 AM ----------

Ahhhh.... welp, you won't do much better than this lens. Unless you want to swing for the 18-35 1.8. That is a real gem of a lens.

There really wasn't that much noise at 3200. The k-5ii does really well with this. It just decreases sharpness as apposed to 800 and below which in my opinion is where the k-5, k-5ii, and k-5iis shine.

If you are indoors in a modestly lit room for weddings and such, you can expect the following settings GENERALLY.

f2.8 - f4

I think the 17-50 2.8 will supply the quality and sharpness you need for wedding work. Obviously these base settings are subjective as every venu and situation is different. Even if you have to push your gear like I did in the concert photos, I think you will come out with some wonderful shots. If you want to drop the ISO even more, I would highly suggest you take some cash and buy a flash or a few flashes and put them on light stands with wireless tirggers. This will probably get you better results than spending extra money on other more expensive lenses.
I personally want to buy this trigger and 3 flashes from Cactus. You can set flash groups and flash power remotely from your trigger and fire them independently or together. You place these around your dance floor or around the reception hall and get to work.

NOTE: If you already have some flash gear, you can just buy additional transceivers and they will act as a remote control on your current flash gear. Pretty cool!

Wireless Tranceiver
Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 DICFLAWFTV6 B&H Photo Video
Flash that will operate with the tranceiver
Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash DICFLACACRF60 B&H Photo Video

09-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Please take some indoor shots and share .. want to see the sharpness...

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 06:56 AM ----------

Please share indoor shots
You can find a zillion shots if you go to Flickr and do a quick search on each of the lenses.
09-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Thanks
What if you have one option to counter these 6 (Sharpness, Wedding, Portrait, Indoor, Fast Focus * Telle wide) some partially some very closely ? which one lens you choose ?
Well it would need a weighting of your parameters. If you would like to shoot people indoor 50mm reach at F2.8 is a must in my oppinion. That leaves you with the Tamron. The Pentax is a better all rounder but lacks indoor. The sigma is not really my lens I must say, but that may have to do with the version I own.

Attached 2 images from the Tamron.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
09-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Awesome pixel perfection but i want to see indoor shot ...
Why? Whether a shot was taken indoors or outdoors tells you nothing about a lens, just about a camera's ISO performance. You can tell the suitability of a lens simply by looking at its parameters - a slow aperture will mean higher necessary ISOs and more noise, thus a faster aperture is preferable. And for taking in whole scenes

The HD DA 16-85 DC WR is not a wedding lens, and it's not a portrait lens - its aperture is simply too slow. The Sigma/Tamron/Pentax normal f/2.8 zooms mentioned are way more suited to your tasks in all respects. Do you really want to take indoor portraits at f/4.5 or f/5.6?

09-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Why? Whether a shot was taken indoors or outdoors tells you nothing about a lens, just about a camera's ISO performance. You can tell the suitability of a lens simply by looking at its parameters - a slow aperture will mean higher necessary ISOs and more noise, thus a faster aperture is preferable. And for taking in whole scenes

The HD DA 16-85 DC WR is not a wedding lens, and it's not a portrait lens - its aperture is simply too slow. The Sigma/Tamron/Pentax normal f/2.8 zooms mentioned are way more suited to your tasks in all respects. Do you really want to take indoor portraits at f/4.5 or f/5.6?
I mostly agree with you. It would be a little tough to use at a wedding with available light and a max aperature of 3.5 - 5.6. If you had a flash or a few off camera flashes, you could get away with a lower aperature lens. I personally shot a wedding with a 18-135 WR and 35mm 2.4 along with the Metz 44. I will admit, I left the 35mm on most of the time, but found with the flash I still got plenty of keepers using the 18-135 WR.

All that beeing said.... I bought the 17-50 2.8 right after this experience so that I would have more flexibility and be able to lower a ISO.

So.... I am in the camp, get some fast glass, add a flash when you can, and watch your photos POP!
09-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Do you really want to take indoor portraits at f/4.5 or f/5.6?

I'm inexperienced with portrait photography so I'm going to ask.
What if you have a tripod and take portraits with around f4?
Do you just not get the bokeh that a wider aperture gives?
09-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
GREAT! What an awesome deal! I got mine used and wow, what a keeper. This lens is almost perfect in my opinion. Its similar to haveing a small bag of primes. I knew from the review Fotorix mentioned above that it would be great, but actually owning it and using it proves this point. I will try to upload a recent shot soon.
OK, so here are some images. Cheers!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/303159-sigm...ml#post3379080
09-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm inexperienced with portrait photography so I'm going to ask. What if you have a tripod and take portraits with around f4? Do you just not get the bokeh that a wider aperture gives?
That depends. First of all, bokeh refers to the subjective quality of background blur, not the actual amount of it. So you can get great bokeh at f/2.8 and horrible one at f/1.4, depending on the lens

I assume you are actually referring to the amount of out-of-focus blur. That depends both on aperture and focal length. So, for example with f/8 at 18 mm pretty much everything from close to the camera to infinity will be in focus, while with f/8 at 300 mm you have a significantly smaller depth of field.

At the same focal length there is a noticeable, albeit not great difference in 'blur' between f/2.8 and f/4. So the f/2.8 has an advantage. On top of that, working with a tripod for portraits can be quite cumbersome, especially at weddings or when you start to get creative, seek exciting angles etc.
09-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm inexperienced with portrait photography so I'm going to ask.
What if you have a tripod and take portraits with around f4?
Do you just not get the bokeh that a wider aperture gives?
Its a challenge to do portrait photography and I highly suggest you give it a shot!

As far as a tirpod is concerned, this would eleminate camera shake but wouldn't stop your subject form moving around causing blur. You still need to move your shutter up enough to stop their motion. Slower moving around 1/50th faster 150-200th and sports in direct sun I amy even go to 1/1000 or more. Just depends on what you need to capture.

Background blur is another subject all together. Typically, the lower the f-stop the more blury the out of focus bits will be. If you shoot from 17mm-50mm this lower f-stop like f2.8 is a must to blur the background, you also need to fill your frame with your subject. Once you start moving beyond 50mm, you are compressing the background and this will provide a different effect and also blur the background even at higher f-stops say f4 - f16.

A typical rule is to get the fastest lens you can so you have options when you are given difficult lighting situations. I would still push anyone who can to get a f2.8 or faster lens for indoor shoots.
09-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #28
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I mean to post this here, to be honest with what you're looking for I'd do a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, a Sigma 24-70 HSM, and a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 or a Pentax 16-50 f/2.8 and a Pentax 60-250 f/4.

09-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I mean to post this here, to be honest with what you're looking for I'd do a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, a Sigma 24-70 HSM, and a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 or a Pentax 16-50 f/2.8 and a Pentax 60-250 f/4.

I can get on board with this. I wold add 17-50 2.8 sigma and 50-135 pentax as possible alternatives.
09-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster

f2.8 - f4

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 10:03 AM ----------

I personally want to buy this trigger and 3 flashes from Cactus. You can set flash groups and flash power remotely from your trigger and fire them independently or together. You place these around your dance floor or around the reception hall and get to work.

NOTE: If you already have some flash gear, you can just buy additional transceivers and they will act as a remote control on your current flash gear. Pretty cool!

Wireless Tranceiver
Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 DICFLAWFTV6 B&H Photo Video
Flash that will operate with the tranceiver
Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash DICFLACACRF60 B&H Photo Video

What If i will go for Pentax 16-85 with AF360 FHZII Flash ?