Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Are these Batteries Any Good

Wasabi Power Battery

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR7250?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Or best to go with Pentax OE Battery

09-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wasabi batteries are supposed to be good alternatives to the original ones. The reviews seem to be good as well. I would go with the original one, however.
09-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

All (6!) of my spares are Wasabi and they are EXCELLENT. Identical performance to the OEM, in my experience.
09-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two of the Wasabi version of the D-Li109 and two of the D-Li190. I seem to get slightly less shots from them, but it could be a self-reinforcing thing - they aren't the OEMs, so I use them less often in the rotation, so they are less likely to have a full charge when I DO use them, so I get less shots, so I use them less often in the rotation...

The charger is useful for travel, but since it charges faster than the OEM one, it puts a bit more heat-stress on the batteries.

09-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had good luck with Wasabi batteries. Purely subjective but I see them as giving me about 90% of the shots that I get from the OEM batteries. And the wall charger is great for travel, takes up almost no room.
09-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am with the rest of these folks. I have a Wasabi for my K50 that I think is a little less strong than my K50 OEM battery. I do not have their charger only the battery. My experience is that it is reliable and a good value. I object to paying the prices asked for by Pentax for the batteries - they are really overpriced - not that this is not common in the electronics industry.
09-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghamden Quote
They work great! I have 4 and they are solid performers. Mine are from 2013 and only one of the 4 is showing some signs of dimished charge rate. I have one OEM that came with my camera, I can say they all feel the same in hand and look almost exactly the same. I highly suggest this brand, infact I have used this brand in other cameras hand had the same results. You will enjoy.

09-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My Wasabi battery only lasts about half as long as the Pentax battery even though it is supposed to have a higher capacity.It seems there may be a little inconsistency in the quality of the finished product?Some say just as good,i say not.
09-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
My Wasabi battery only lasts about half as long as the Pentax battery even though it is supposed to have a higher capacity.It seems there may be a little inconsistency in the quality of the finished product?Some say just as good,i say not.
My two Wasabi Power batteries only last a few minutes at this point in my K-01. I know the constant live-view of the mirrorless model is pretty demanding compared to an SLR, but even in an SLR I only get 10-20% of the life of my original batteries.

In my opinion the Wasabi charger is terrific (compact, easy to travel with, charges the original Pentax battery perfectly well too) but the batteries themselves may be good only for a year. Even so they are a decent value. Just be prepared to recycle them and get new ones when the performance drops.
09-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
My two Wasabi Power batteries only last a few minutes at this point in my K-01.
That's an interesting point. The K-01 is the only camera I own where the grip (such as it is) and body gets warm in the hand with use. I would say that the D-Li190 in the K-01 runs quite a bit hotter than in the K-3/5/7 bodies, which could contribute to shorter battery life.
09-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghamden Quote
They are good batteries plus the charger is more compact and easier to carry with you. Buy them with confidence.

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That's an interesting point. The K-01 is the only camera I own where the grip (such as it is) and body gets warm in the hand with use. I would say that the D-Li190 in the K-01 runs quite a bit hotter than in the K-3/5/7 bodies, which could contribute to shorter battery life.
Doesn't the K-01 have the silly light thing going on. Probably a lot more active electronic to run in the K-01. (Edit My Bad thats' the KS-1)

Last edited by Larrymc; 09-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.
09-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the other battery in my K50. Works great never hot - could simply be a bad battery. I have OEM batteries (not Pentax devices others) where the OEM battery has shorted and swelled and gotten hot etc. All Lithium-ION tech is a bit fragile.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-22-2015 at 12:28 PM.
09-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-30, K-50, and K-S1 all use the smaller 109 battery (and have the same CIPA shot count, so the LEDs don't make any difference). The K-01 is the only "small" Pentax body with the larger 190 battery (thank you whoever decided to use such similar numbers on the two batteries). Because the K-01 is LiveView all the time, with densely populated circuit boards and and little empty volume for heat dissipation, it runs hot.

Last edited by THoog; 09-22-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Specifically Pentax body.
09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Because the K-01 is LiveView all the time, with densely populated circuit boards and and little empty volume for heat dissipation, it runs hot.
The K-01 is the only mirrorless with that much mass of magnesium alloy for heat dissipation.

The large mass means that the given amount of heat generated
by the continuously active APS-C sensor and the LCD screen
only causes a small rise in temperature.

The heat is ultimately dissipated to the outside of the big (for mirrorless) body.
09-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The K-01 is the only mirrorless with that much mass of magnesium alloy for heat dissipation.
It's a machined aluminum frame - but I wasn't comparing the K-01 to any other mirrorless. I was comparing it to other Pentax bodies that use the same battery, which have not felt hot in my hand while using them.