Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #1

ks2 vs K3 vs K3II

Not sure if this is the place for this question.

why does this forum have the KS2 ranked higher than both K3 and K3II? Especially in area of auto focus?
Does this mean the KS2 is better in low light situations?
Just trying to understand how the cameras are reviewed.

Apreciate any help given.

09-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canukdragon Quote

why does this forum have the KS2 ranked higher than both K3 and K3II? Especially in area of auto focus?

In terms of low-light performance you can expect all three cameras to deliver the same results, as their AF sensors are sensitive to -3EV.

The K-S2 has received some minor live view improvements over the K-3 family which makes its everyday use even easier.

Remember to consider all numerical ratings alongside each camera's market segment. While the K-3 may have a better AF module than the K-S2 (29 points vs 11 points), what the K-S2 offers is probably better (relatively speaking) in the mid-range category than the K-3's system is in the high-end/enthusiast category.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2015, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

If you are basing this on the user-submitted camera reviews section, I think you are misunderstanding the ratings - they are based on user submissions, highly subjective, and frequently skewed by how much the owner paid. They shouldn't be viewed as "this camera is better than this camera". The K-3II only has two and the K-S2 only four reviews submitted so far, which is much too few to draw ANY conclusions. About the only conclusion you can draw from the overall ratings is that a camera with a much higher number than its contemporaries is liked a LOT by its owners, and a camera with a much lower number than its contemporaries is not very popular.

An example of how the scores should not be taken too seriously is that the K-30 and K-50 are practically the same camera with different styling, but the K-50 is "ranked" much lower because of a single person upset about a defective unit (which happens with every model), and nothing to do with the comparative features of the cameras.
09-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
You are right THoog I misunderstood how I was reading the information.
I have been trying to reseach my next purchase and am truly struggling (overwhelmed) with all the information and comparisons.
With the price drop I was leaning toward the K3, but wondering if I would be purchasing a camera that would be beyond my abilities and technical knowledge and I would end up more frustrated than enjoying my photography.

I wish to thank you all for your help and patience.
This site and its member are great.

09-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With the price drop I was leaning toward the K3, but wondering if I would be purchasing a camera that would be beyond my abilities and technical knowledge and I would end up more frustrated than enjoying my photography.
To offer encouragement: I wouldn't worry about purchasing a camera beyond your abilities. The only difference between a K50 and K3 (for example), with regard to your concerns, is that there is more capability built into the K3. That means more room for you to grow. Otherwise, they both use the same basic picture-taking process and are built to accommodate knowledge ranging from the most basic to the advanced. Put either camera in Auto mode and you're good to go. If you buy a K3, you just may not utilize some of the more sophisticated stuff in the beginning. And the greater MP offering of the K3 series may not be used to full benefit until you've reached the point of "needing" it to crop heavily or make big prints.

It's more a matter of how much money you want to spend at the start. A K50 will get you fabulous photographs for very little money. The KS2 has newer bells and whistles, but nothing has really been added that will improve your photography. If you're not sure how far you will want to go, get the *now very cheap* 50. Then it's more affordable to move up to a K3 or K3ii when your abilities exceed the performance capabilities of your current camera and you understand more of what you want from a camera. On the other hand, if you have the dollars for the *now cheaper* K3, you'll have the room to grow in your hands right away and have a camera that will take you as far as you want to go.
09-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
you'll have the room to grow in your hands right away and have a camera that will take you as far as you want to go.
Or you may have bought a sophisticated camera and eventually selling it within few months just because it is heavy and bulky. Simply put, buy what you can afford and enjoy photography. because to some, having limitations makes it more fun and worthwhile.