Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #31

Hi Tjompen,

Sorry I don't have another K3II to test, in fact I'm pretty sure mine might be the only one in all my country ( Argentina ).
I did another pentax yoga session today like 45 minutes and still never got a success, not even once.

Sandy, i know Astrotracer is not for moon shots, thanks.

I guess i will do more tests tomorrow just to give it a last chance.

02-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by polaco Quote
I have no reason to think that that you didn't

As is made quite clear by the quote in my post, my comment was meant for the OP, who posted the moon shot.
02-12-2016, 03:21 AM   #33

Hi Tjompen,

Sorry I don't have another K3II to test, in fact I'm pretty sure mine might be the only one in all my country ( Argentina ).
I did another pentax yoga session today like 45 minutes and still never got a success, not even once.

I guess i will do more tests tomorrow just to give it a last chance.
I to test, in fact I'm pretty sure mine might be the only one in all my country ( Argentina ).
polaco, you´re not alone, I´m the second guy in Argentina with a K-3 II. I bought it at Spain.

I´ve got the same problem, tried everywhere, from the mountains to plain land, no clear interference and still ain´t able to do a precise calibration, it may be a South pole thing?
Tengo el mismo problema y no quiere calibrar, probé en las montañas de Córdoba y Mendoza, sin ninguna clara interferencia y no puedo calibrar, quizás es un problema del polo sur?
02-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Manguitom Quote
polaco, you´re not alone, I´m the second guy in Argentina with a K-3 II. I bought it at Spain.
Hell yeah!!!
At one moment I also thought it could be a south pole thing but then it sounded a bit weir to me so i discarded that possibility.
But then being two with the same problem makes me re think on that again... A southies problem maybe?
I think i shall have mentioned that in the incident i reported to pentax but i did not.
At this moment, after so many calibration attempts... makes me want to kill the Japanese guy in the calibration video.

02-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #35
Unregistered User

Is it also impossible to do an ordinary cailibration?
02-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Is it also impossible to do an ordinary cailibration?
Yes ordinary calibration goes flawlessly. I can calibrate it pretty fast.
02-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #37
Unregistered User

Yes ordinary calibration goes flawlessly. I can calibrate it pretty fast.
Then I am at a loss. Maybe there is some kind of south hemisphere bug in the software...

02-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Then I am at a loss. Maybe there is some kind of south hemisphere bug in the software...
well it would not surprise me, the issue is how can i report it and if they will ever dare to investigate it...
02-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #39
Pentaxian

You have of course tried rotating the camera more then 180 degrees in all directions?
02-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
You have of course tried rotating the camera more then 180 degrees in all directions?
yes
08-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #41

I am also having a hard time doing the precise calibration.
I went to an open field, it might have 40 by 40 meters square. I guess is open enough. No large buildings nearby just small houses.
The calibration runs perfectly smooth. However the precise calibration never succeeds.
I really refuse to believe that the camera has a fault. It would be great if the camera could tell which axis calibration failed or something like that.
So one could try to improve on it or i dont know some more useful message than just "failed".
Maybe even they could create a wizard that calibrates each axis independently and that displays some kind of graphical hint related to the movement.
Having this in a bios update would be nice. Looks like Pentax left the K3II in oblivion, there is not even a video regarding precise calibration just an old one about the external gps calibration.
K3II is an incredible camera, it deserves more attention.
Today i will go to an open field outside the city and try precise calibration again by 50th time.
I agree with you, find it also suspicious that such a good camera isn't mentioned so much. Like you say it is in oblivion.

---------- Post added 08-07-18 at 01:34 PM ----------

Found this, maybe its useful.
GPS Calibrations problems K3II - PentaxForums.com

I'm planning to shoot some astro photos this summer, hope it will function. I'll tell you
08-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #42

I've had it for 3 years, travelled around various hemispheres and never succeeded calibrating my K-3, guess mine came faulty or has a bug.
08-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
I have found that giving it extra iterations of rotations in the three axes can usually get me a successful fine calibration, even when I am quite sure I have rotated more than 180 degrees in all axes on the first iterations. I have also found that trying to do a fine calibration near a car or with a cellphone in my pocket usually doesn't work at all.

Last edited by Lew Dite; 08-18-2018 at 04:59 AM.