Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to Upload from K-3 to Phone Without a Computer?

I'm looking for a solution that allows me to upload select pictures from my K-3 to my cell phone without using a computer. I've looked into the Eye-Fi and WiFi cards and it appears that you have to upload all pictures rather than just pictures you select. I've looked into a cable connection but it appears that my Galaxy S6 does not support USB host mode. I'd like to have this capability so when I take a high volume of pictures on a trip I can share a few of them on social media. The S6 does not have a card slot so a micro SD card won't help me. Does anyone have a solution for this dilemma?

09-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What great timing, I just added my eye-fi to my k3. I have the k3 set to upload all files, and it writes to both card slots simultaneously. I r then have the option set that drops the resolution to 2mp on the eye-fi card. However, I did play with the, "select" option and it worked when I tested it.

My client device is an android. LG g3. In using the dedicated mobi client.

What didn't work in select mode?
09-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This ...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/267508-k3-flu-card-image-transfer.html

... and this ...

Product page of Flucard For Pentax 16GB O-FC1 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

... suggest that the Pentax Flucard can selectively transfer single images to mobile phones or computers.
09-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the flucard to do that exact thing with my HTC phone and iPad. I find it to be somewhat clunky having to make the device connect to the K3s wifi hotspot and then open a browser to the web based interface which is also clunky but it does the job. Because you can also use the second screen as a remote live view it has extra functionality but the range is limited.

09-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I use a Toshiba FlashAir 32gb card and it works pretty well. I choose which photos to upload, not sure if there's some setting to upload all but I'd never use it.
09-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the Eye-Fi you don't get remote live view but you do get background uploads to the phone or other device. This is automatic in "upload all" mode and kicks off if you select photos and hit transfer. I just tested it and it works. I did the test with the reduced resolution option turned off just to be sure that it works and the transferred file was indeed full res. Eye-Fi Mobi is the card I am using there are other versions but this is simple and easy to use. Once imported to the app you have a few other options: Share (with most any program, cloud, etc.), Add to Album, Add tags, Details (exif info), Add captions, move to trash. Last night I used this feature to take a photo and edit it in Polarr on my phone and then upload to Flickr from my phone. It worked wonderfully except the flickr client did not default to let me add groups. I found a way to edit it from the phone and add a group later. The one part I couldn't accomplish was to determine how to get the BBCODE share link from Flickr to post to this forum. Other than that - I was able to do everything needed.
09-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Using a card reader should work just fine if you have an OTG adapter (or OTG card reader). I use that with other android devices. It does require you to remove the card from the camera, though.

I haven't tried connecting the camera through an adapter.

09-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another option...
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-6000mAh-External-Battery/dp/B00L9TEI...ds=eye-fi+mobi

I think. I'm not sure if this supports full size SD cards. The type of device is what is important. There are others like this that do support normal size SD cards.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 11:59 AM ----------

This one appears to have the right slot:
Amazon.com: RAVPower SD Card Reader, Wireless Bridge, USB Port, 3000mAh External Battery Pack Travel Charger - FileHub RP-WD01 White: Computers & Accessories
09-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll look into the wi-fi cards again. I had previously read a few reviews on various products and those led me to believe it was an all or none transfer. As long as I can select the photos to upload, the wi-fi card seems like a perfect solution.
09-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What great timing, I just added my eye-fi to my k3. I have the k3 set to upload all files, and it writes to both card slots simultaneously. I r then have the option set that drops the resolution to 2mp on the eye-fi card. However, I did play with the, "select" option and it worked when I tested it.
Pretty awesome idea!
09-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've just re-checked the Eyefi card reviews on the BH site and a number of reviewers have stated that selective transfer is not possible. That seems strange.
09-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #12

I can download selected images to my phone using PQI AirCard adapter. Only problem is that I can not use cards larger than 8gb and c10 max (must not be uhs). There is also an app for PQI adapter but it only dowlnoads everything. So I transfer my images using the browser and 192.168.1.1 interface that is built in card.
09-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I'm looking for a solution that allows me to upload select pictures from my K-3 to my cell phone without using a computer. I've looked into the Eye-Fi and WiFi cards and it appears that you have to upload all pictures rather than just pictures you select. I've looked into a cable connection but it appears that my Galaxy S6 does not support USB host mode. I'd like to have this capability so when I take a high volume of pictures on a trip I can share a few of them on social media. The S6 does not have a card slot so a micro SD card won't help me. Does anyone have a solution for this dilemma?
The FLUcard does support selective transfer, so you might want to check it out:

Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

It's not the fastest thing out there, but if you shoot smaller jpeg files along with raws, things can work out nicely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may go for the Flu-card. The added capability would be nice to have, even though it's not my main motivation. The BH reviews of the Flu-card were a little discouraging though.
09-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I used the flu card, I was able to transfer only a few images from my k3 to my kindle and post on instagram