Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It could be resolved internally though hidden buffers and/or asynchronous writing to the cards I'd suspect.. but this is neither here nor there since it isn't doing that.
Yes, technically can be improved, but not reduced to zero. In fact, ultimately, when the buffer is full, the fastest transfer rate is the lowest rate in the chain, which ultimately is the SD card. What Pentax could have implemented is parallel writing of different photos into the two SD cards (at the moment, if you select the two SD cards, the camera does not take advantage of it; it's basically the same speed as using one SD card).

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't want to get into the details of explaining to you my purposes because then you'll make it into a debate.
Ok, not problem.

03-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I know this thread is old but I’m wondering if anyone has found that newer firmware updates have improved read/write speeds for Pentax K-5 iis. If write speeds are slower than most newer UHS SDXC cards, I’m wondering if it’s a hindrance to performance to have a higher capacity SDXC (e.g. 256 GB) even if it can’t write to the card at 300 MB/s (or whatever). Thanks!
03-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

You can see for yourself here:
Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
There's no mention of improved card write speed. And anyway, the hardware itself is slow... sorry, I guess you'll have to save for the K-3iii
(careful, not the K-3II nor the K-3)
03-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbrbrand Quote
Hi, I know this thread is old but I’m wondering if anyone has found that newer firmware updates have improved read/write speeds for Pentax K-5 iis. If write speeds are slower than most newer UHS SDXC cards, I’m wondering if it’s a hindrance to performance to have a higher capacity SDXC (e.g. 256 GB) even if it can’t write to the card at 300 MB/s (or whatever). Thanks!
Based on this I don’t think card size affects speed.

Does memory card capacity affect either speed or battery life? - Samsung Galaxy Centura | Android Forums

So use whatever capacity is good for you.