Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2015, 07:45 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
Pixel shift may actually be a winner...




Shot today with K3II and Tamron 17-50 2.8. I shot this a few weeks ago with a Canon 6D and 24-70 F4.0 L IS. I printed them both 12x18 and the k3II shot is miles ahead. I ordered a 16x48 and it's going to be interesting to compare that to the 6D one I got a few weeks ago.


Interesting to note what really struck me was the ease of shooting pixel shift/mirror up/IR remote. The Canon would give me fits using the IR remote and it didn't work with mirror lock up or some such nonsense. I know I was always scratching my head wondering what settings worked with what other settings. The Pentax just does what I want it to do without giving me any lip.


The AA filter on the 6D is very noticeable after shooting Pentax non AA cameras for the past few years. And pixel shift just leaves it in the dust FF or not.


Makes me wonder what the FF Pentax might be like WITH pixel shift... things are getting interesting.


Another thing about pixel shift, your lens only has to be 24mp sharp, not 50mp sharp, yet it gives you 45mp output. think about it.

10-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
Interesting and quite impressive; thanks for sharing...
10-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,480
Very cool shot, and good information. Thanks!
10-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26
Good to hear the immediate feedback, Ed. Love that shot, and glad you recreated it with the K3ii

10-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 774
Nice picture. Very Rothko style...
10-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
Original Poster



Just for kicks and giggles, here's the Canon 6D shot with 24-70 F4.0 L IS lens...
10-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,105
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote


Shot today with K3II and Tamron 17-50 2.8. I shot this a few weeks ago with a Canon 6D and 24-70 F4.0 L IS. I printed them both 12x18 and the k3II shot is miles ahead. I ordered a 16x48 and it's going to be interesting to compare that to the 6D one I got a few weeks ago.


Interesting to note what really struck me was the ease of shooting pixel shift/mirror up/IR remote. The Canon would give me fits using the IR remote and it didn't work with mirror lock up or some such nonsense. I know I was always scratching my head wondering what settings worked with what other settings. The Pentax just does what I want it to do without giving me any lip.


The AA filter on the 6D is very noticeable after shooting Pentax non AA cameras for the past few years. And pixel shift just leaves it in the dust FF or not.


Makes me wonder what the FF Pentax might be like WITH pixel shift... things are getting interesting.


Another thing about pixel shift, your lens only has to be 24mp sharp, not 50mp sharp, yet it gives you 45mp output. think about it.
Wait, I thought you went all canon, save for K5II and a fisheye?
10-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,124
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Shot today with K3II and Tamron 17-50 2.8. I shot this a few weeks ago with a Canon 6D and 24-70 F4.0 L IS. I printed them both 12x18 and the k3II shot is miles ahead. I ordered a 16x48 and it's going to be interesting to compare that to the 6D one I got a few weeks ago.
Was there any wind? That shot with so much foliage would not normally be suitable for pixel shift if there's a breeze.

10-02-2015, 12:58 AM   #9
Junior Member
Markovo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 49
Could you post the original images (full size), or at least some 100% crops? This shots must be examined closely!
10-02-2015, 01:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,831
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Interesting to note what really struck me was the ease of shooting pixel shift/mirror up/IR remote. The Canon would give me fits using the IR remote and it didn't work with mirror lock up or some such nonsense. I know I was always scratching my head wondering what settings worked with what other settings. The Pentax just does what I want it to do without giving me any lip.
I'm not surprised that some feature of the Pentax are automated, while the same automated function may not exist in Canon cameras. I do have a K-3, and a friend have 7D and 5DIII, for instance he is doing dark frame substraction by taking two shots, and my K-3 does it automatically. Also, the K-5 and K-3 have two remote IR sensors, one at the front of the camera and one at the back of the camera, the Canon has one IR sensor at the back only.
10-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,778
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not surprised that some feature of the Pentax are automated, while the same automated function may not exist in Canon cameras. I do have a K-3, and a friend have 7D and 5DIII, for instance he is doing dark frame substraction by taking two shots, and my K-3 does it automatically. Also, the K-5 and K-3 have two remote IR sensors, one at the front of the camera and one at the back of the camera, the Canon has one IR sensor at the back only.
To me, these are exactly the small things that never ever make it to reviews that make the Pentax a joy to use and no one will know unless he/she really takes the camera out to the field and make 'real images'.
10-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 841
Yes, Pentax has the little thoughtful things in the user interface others doesn't care about...
10-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,842
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Just for kicks and giggles, here's the Canon 6D shot with 24-70 F4.0 L IS lens...
One does have to allow for the possibility that the light on the day favoured the Pentax, but WOW. What a difference. How washed out and lifeless that Canon shot looks by comparison.

If the full-frame comes anywhere near this, the landscape photographers are going to be all over it. Come on, Pentax - we really want that DA15-like full-frame prime now.
10-02-2015, 05:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,287
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not surprised that some feature of the Pentax are automated, while the same automated function may not exist in Canon cameras. I do have a K-3, and a friend have 7D and 5DIII, for instance he is doing dark frame substraction by taking two shots, and my K-3 does it automatically.
I'd guess your friend had turned off the "Long exposure noise reduction", a quick google search shows both cameras have it. It's often preferable to do this manually.
10-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote


Shot today with K3II and Tamron 17-50 2.8. I shot this a few weeks ago with a Canon 6D and 24-70 F4.0 L IS. I printed them both 12x18 and the k3II shot is miles ahead. I ordered a 16x48 and it's going to be interesting to compare that to the 6D one I got a few weeks ago.


Interesting to note what really struck me was the ease of shooting pixel shift/mirror up/IR remote. The Canon would give me fits using the IR remote and it didn't work with mirror lock up or some such nonsense. I know I was always scratching my head wondering what settings worked with what other settings. The Pentax just does what I want it to do without giving me any lip.


The AA filter on the 6D is very noticeable after shooting Pentax non AA cameras for the past few years. And pixel shift just leaves it in the dust FF or not.


Makes me wonder what the FF Pentax might be like WITH pixel shift... things are getting interesting.


Another thing about pixel shift, your lens only has to be 24mp sharp, not 50mp sharp, yet it gives you 45mp output. think about it.
Thank you for posting your experience. I am still waiting to upgrade and may do so sooner than later since my landscape shots are usually in the early morning (no wind to move things in the pixel shifting photos). I also use the same lens...a lot of lens for the money.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
breeze, camera, canon, day, dslr, ff, forecast, k-3, k3, k3ii, landscape, love, pentax, pentax k-3, pixel, pixel shift, reason, sensor, shift, shot, shots, tamron, time, tripod, weeks, wind
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K3II: Pixel Shift First Test DDoram Pentax K-3 168 11-24-2015 10:15 AM
K3II Pixel Shift ISO 6400 DDoram Pentax K-3 9 08-08-2015 09:49 PM
Pixel shift for landscapes seachongo Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 06-25-2015 03:25 PM
Pixel shift practical applications Spodeworld Pentax K-3 20 04-25-2015 10:01 AM
Pixel shift and bracketing Spodeworld Pentax K-3 9 04-23-2015 08:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top