Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2015, 07:45 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Pixel shift may actually be a winner...

Shot today with K3II and Tamron 17-50 2.8. I shot this a few weeks ago with a Canon 6D and 24-70 F4.0 L IS. I printed them both 12x18 and the k3II shot is miles ahead. I ordered a 16x48 and it's going to be interesting to compare that to the 6D one I got a few weeks ago.

Interesting to note what really struck me was the ease of shooting pixel shift/mirror up/IR remote. The Canon would give me fits using the IR remote and it didn't work with mirror lock up or some such nonsense. I know I was always scratching my head wondering what settings worked with what other settings. The Pentax just does what I want it to do without giving me any lip.

The AA filter on the 6D is very noticeable after shooting Pentax non AA cameras for the past few years. And pixel shift just leaves it in the dust FF or not.

Makes me wonder what the FF Pentax might be like WITH pixel shift... things are getting interesting.

Another thing about pixel shift, your lens only has to be 24mp sharp, not 50mp sharp, yet it gives you 45mp output. think about it.

10-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting and quite impressive; thanks for sharing...
10-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Very cool shot, and good information. Thanks!
10-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear the immediate feedback, Ed. Love that shot, and glad you recreated it with the K3ii

10-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice picture. Very Rothko style...
10-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Just for kicks and giggles, here's the Canon 6D shot with 24-70 F4.0 L IS lens...
10-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote

Shot today with K3II and Tamron 17-50 2.8. I shot this a few weeks ago with a Canon 6D and 24-70 F4.0 L IS. I printed them both 12x18 and the k3II shot is miles ahead. I ordered a 16x48 and it's going to be interesting to compare that to the 6D one I got a few weeks ago.

Interesting to note what really struck me was the ease of shooting pixel shift/mirror up/IR remote. The Canon would give me fits using the IR remote and it didn't work with mirror lock up or some such nonsense. I know I was always scratching my head wondering what settings worked with what other settings. The Pentax just does what I want it to do without giving me any lip.

The AA filter on the 6D is very noticeable after shooting Pentax non AA cameras for the past few years. And pixel shift just leaves it in the dust FF or not.

Makes me wonder what the FF Pentax might be like WITH pixel shift... things are getting interesting.

Another thing about pixel shift, your lens only has to be 24mp sharp, not 50mp sharp, yet it gives you 45mp output. think about it.
Wait, I thought you went all canon, save for K5II and a fisheye?

10-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Was there any wind? That shot with so much foliage would not normally be suitable for pixel shift if there's a breeze.
10-02-2015, 12:58 AM   #9

Could you post the original images (full size), or at least some 100% crops? This shots must be examined closely!
10-02-2015, 01:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised that some feature of the Pentax are automated, while the same automated function may not exist in Canon cameras. I do have a K-3, and a friend have 7D and 5DIII, for instance he is doing dark frame substraction by taking two shots, and my K-3 does it automatically. Also, the K-5 and K-3 have two remote IR sensors, one at the front of the camera and one at the back of the camera, the Canon has one IR sensor at the back only.
10-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not surprised that some feature of the Pentax are automated, while the same automated function may not exist in Canon cameras. I do have a K-3, and a friend have 7D and 5DIII, for instance he is doing dark frame substraction by taking two shots, and my K-3 does it automatically. Also, the K-5 and K-3 have two remote IR sensors, one at the front of the camera and one at the back of the camera, the Canon has one IR sensor at the back only.
To me, these are exactly the small things that never ever make it to reviews that make the Pentax a joy to use and no one will know unless he/she really takes the camera out to the field and make 'real images'.
10-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, Pentax has the little thoughtful things in the user interface others doesn't care about...
10-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Just for kicks and giggles, here's the Canon 6D shot with 24-70 F4.0 L IS lens...
One does have to allow for the possibility that the light on the day favoured the Pentax, but WOW. What a difference. How washed out and lifeless that Canon shot looks by comparison.

If the full-frame comes anywhere near this, the landscape photographers are going to be all over it. Come on, Pentax - we really want that DA15-like full-frame prime now.
10-02-2015, 05:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not surprised that some feature of the Pentax are automated, while the same automated function may not exist in Canon cameras. I do have a K-3, and a friend have 7D and 5DIII, for instance he is doing dark frame substraction by taking two shots, and my K-3 does it automatically.
I'd guess your friend had turned off the "Long exposure noise reduction", a quick google search shows both cameras have it. It's often preferable to do this manually.
10-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #15

Thank you for posting your experience. I am still waiting to upgrade and may do so sooner than later since my landscape shots are usually in the early morning (no wind to move things in the pixel shifting photos). I also use the same lens...a lot of lens for the money.