Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
That was only due to the lack of IQ in the films. You had to go MF in order to get the IQ. By the mid 90's, when the film's got better, the majority of wedding photogs and studios started shooting 35mm. It wasn't the gear but the film that changed.

I shot about 40-50 weddings a year for various studios from 1985 - 1998. In 2003-2006 I jumped back in due to furloughs in the airline industry and by then it was all APS-c digital. 20D's and D70s. And I've just started it up again: www.sonnetphotography.com

Most of that work was from 20D's and D70s from 2004-2006.
Yeah but now there a tendency to go back to MF digital in addition to an FF. It is not the majority, but a few wedding photographers are doing that to get different results and it is gaining traction as a differentiator.

11-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yeah but now there a tendency to go back to MF digital in addition to an FF. It is not the majority, but a few wedding photographers are doing that to get different results and it is gaining traction as a differentiator.

Maybe. Seems like a very small variable to be trying to differentiate with. The subtleties of differences will be vaguely apparent to the trained eye. 99.9% of brides could give a crap what you used.

If your a chatty young female with a facebook page who knows nothing and has a Canon Rebel you will have more business than you can handle.
11-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Maybe. Seems like a very small variable to be trying to differentiate with. The subtleties of differences will be vaguely apparent to the trained eye. 99.9% of brides could give a crap what you used.

If your a chatty young female with a facebook page who knows nothing and has a Canon Rebel you will have more business than you can handle.
I don't think thy is really the type of photographers that go this way. i see more the high rank photographer that ask a lot for a wedding. The one that before used the brenizer methods to get results like this:

From: brenizer method Archives - Page 2 of 4 - Ryan Brenizer - NYC Wedding Photographer. Storyteller, problem solver.
11-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #199

If your a chatty young female with a facebook page who knows nothing and has a Canon Rebel you will have more business than you can handle
i know a few wedding photographers that fit that description, I'm sure they only invite me to use my lens

I don't think thy is really the type of photographers that go this way. i see more the high rank photographer that ask a lot for a wedding. The one that before used the brenizer methods to get results like this:
looks like a lot of work for something that probably wont work with pixel shift but can be done with any dslr

11-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
looks like a lot of work for something that probably wont work with pixel shift but can be done with any dslr
I don't really get your point man. With a large format film camera that is one shoot, with an FF that's 29 shoots.
11-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Yea, and what, there are 10 guys in THE WORLD that get $10,000 or more for a wedding? (Certainly less than a couple hundred.)

Who cares what they are shooting, they can afford anything. It's the hacks in the trenches who buy the bulk of the gear and know what works best for the least dollars invested. I can assure you it's nothing to do with that guy.
11-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #202

I don't really get your point man. With a large format film camera that is one shoot, with an FF that's 29 shoots.
the point is you can do this with an aps-c dslr or even 4/3rds but the amount of post processing must take a bit of time vs the one shot of a large format

It's the hacks in the trenches who buy the bulk of the gear and know what works best for the least dollars invested.
unfortunately the hacks get into never ending arguments over which system is better bang for buck :P

11-26-2015, 02:13 AM   #203
Veteran Member

the point is you can do this with an aps-c dslr or even 4/3rds but the amount of post processing must take a bit of time vs the one shot of a large format
Well this process is a panorama, it has the same limitation has any panorama. Better to have a pano head and tripod to avoid parallax issue. You have to shoot in M mode to keep the exposure constant. The subject must be perfectly still if it doesn't fit entirely in a single frame and finally you must spend time for post processing. Then if you are a pro, time is obviously money. And if you are not, doing 70 shoots with an APSC or 116 with an m4/3 with much more issue of joints on the main subject instead of 29 shoots on FF or 1 shoot on a large format camera there clearly a difference.

There also obviously you subjects. if you need 10 minutes instead of 2 to setup the shoot, they will be quite borred and it will limit the number of shoots you'll do as well as their satisfaction as clients.
11-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

unfortunately the hacks get into never ending arguments over which system is better bang for buck :P
It isn't the "hacks" who are arguing. It is a small number of folks on the internet. I know a lot of wedding photographers. Most of them shoot a couple of generations old full frame, a few shoot newer APS-C models. They don't have a bunch of money for cameras, but truthfully their camera isn't terribly concerning to them at this point. They upgrade when they have to, otherwise, they make their gear work for them.

The folks who are argue are mainly hobbyists who spend time on DXO Mark studying graphs and have made up their mind about what is best.

I have no idea why this thread is still causing such angst. There is a specific thing the K3 II can do which is usable infrequently, but when it is usable, it is pretty impressive. That's really all there is to it.
11-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Arguing is part of the hobby. I used to be a hotrodder in my pre-kid years (hence my handle cali92rs as in '92 Camaro RS). Anyway, EVERYTHING is a source of argument....TBI vs TPI fuel injection, fuel injection vs carburetor, auto vs manual transmission, comp vs crane cams and on and on and on.

It is in guys blood to argue specs. At the end of the day, it's all in good fun as long as it doesn't get personal.
11-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #206
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just surfing this thread, looking for interesting stuff....(some would say I was lookin' for trouble, but I wasn't!) when I saw your comment. There is so much truth in your statement! I've said that many times but never in such a simple and complete way!

Several years ago I was walking around the square in our fairly small town snapping some historic sites, when I ran across an attractive young lady around19-20 with a new Canon Rebel. Never missing an opportunity to chat with a pretty young lady, I approached her and started a conversation. She was relatively new to photography, this was her first digital camera, and she was bubbling with excitement. We went to a local coffee shop where we were able to have a nice long discussion on photography, cameras, lenses, and future plans. My plan was pretty brief......I planned to shoot squirrels mostly, and a lot of them!
Her plan was to start a photography business and thrive at it. She laid it all out, and it sounded so much like hundreds of new and enthusiastic shooters we have all seen before. Big dreams, too often shot down by reality and a billion others that also have a camera and make you get lost int he crowd.

Fast forward two years later......I was walking on the square again, and I came across a new photo studio.......very nice and very busy. Went inside....yep, it was hers. We talked a while, she was booked up for months in advance, having the time of her life and had stolen most of the business for every other studio in town....some that had been here for decades. Her secret...other than being a most gifted shooter.....she was a Facebook Wizard! She had made so many connections with her bubbling personality and big smile that people would use her even if she used a disposable camera! Of course, nowadays she was a FF shooter, but not out of any necessity.

Reminds me of the old song......"Chantilly lace and a pretty face....."

Regards.......Now back to the thread in progress!
11-26-2015, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #207
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good anecdote. Someone without social skills attempting to become self-employed in a service industry should reconsider their plan. :-) The dream might remain alive if they have a bubbly wife or hire similar for the front of business.
11-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good anecdote. Someone without social skills attempting to become self-employed in a service industry should reconsider their plan. :-) The dream might remain alive if they have a bubbly wife or hire similar for the front of business.
Someone with good social skills who lives in Whitney Ontario should reconsider their plan as well, not that we know anyone like that..

It is no use having social skills if there's no one to apply them to.

I talk to everyone I run into. The women who run the cash in the grocery store, the beer store and the post office... that's pretty much everyone.
11-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was just surfing this thread, looking for interesting stuff....(some would say I was lookin' for trouble, but I wasn't!) when I saw your comment. There is so much truth in your statement! I've said that many times but never in such a simple and complete way!

Several years ago I was walking around the square in our fairly small town snapping some historic sites, when I ran across an attractive young lady around19-20 with a new Canon Rebel. Never missing an opportunity to chat with a pretty young lady, I approached her and started a conversation. She was relatively new to photography, this was her first digital camera, and she was bubbling with excitement. We went to a local coffee shop where we were able to have a nice long discussion on photography, cameras, lenses, and future plans. My plan was pretty brief......I planned to shoot squirrels mostly, and a lot of them!
Her plan was to start a photography business and thrive at it. She laid it all out, and it sounded so much like hundreds of new and enthusiastic shooters we have all seen before. Big dreams, too often shot down by reality and a billion others that also have a camera and make you get lost int he crowd.

Fast forward two years later......I was walking on the square again, and I came across a new photo studio.......very nice and very busy. Went inside....yep, it was hers. We talked a while, she was booked up for months in advance, having the time of her life and had stolen most of the business for every other studio in town....some that had been here for decades. Her secret...other than being a most gifted shooter.....she was a Facebook Wizard! She had made so many connections with her bubbling personality and big smile that people would use her even if she used a disposable camera! Of course, nowadays she was a FF shooter, but not out of any necessity.

Reminds me of the old song......"Chantilly lace and a pretty face....."

Regards.......Now back to the thread in progress!
Wait a second...does Mrs Rupert know about you picking up cute girls and taking them to lunch to discuss "photography"??
11-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It is no use having social skills if there's no one to apply them to.
Norm, if you go with the Chantilly lace Otis wants to be the first to do the critique on it!

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Wait a second...does Mrs Rupert know about you picking up cute girls and taking them to lunch to discuss "photography"??
She encourages it.....maybe I will get lucky and she can finally get rid of me!

Regards!