Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 04:17 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I for one, always update firmware to the latest version.
Same.

In firmware or software updates, there are often fixes not even listed in the relevant Readme or changelog or knowledge base files.

10-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #47

I was kind of wondering that ^ too. If it works fine for you why update it?

Last edited by charchri4; 10-21-2015 at 07:58 AM.
10-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Attitude

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have updated the firmware on my K10D, now gone, several times without any issues. I brought the K3 I just brought up to 1.21 with no issues. The important instructions are to

1. have a fully charged battery in the camera. If the battery dies part way through the update, the camera will need the factory to fix it. This is probably what happened to the people who fried their cameras.
  2. To extract a self extracting file, simply double click the .zip file.
  3. Select where you save the file. I put these sort of files on my desktop where they are easy to find.
  4. Format an SD card in camera. I never format a card on my computer. Works for me.
  5. Plug the card into your computer or card reader.
  6. The card will show at least one directory. Make sure you do not save your file in the directory. If you do, the update simply won't happen.
  7. Look at the card in file explorer and make sure the correct update file (the one ending in .bin) is outside the folders on the card.
  8. Put the card in slot 1 on your K3, not slot 2.
  9. Press the menu button and turn on the camera with the menu button held down.
  10. Go have a cup of tea. My K3 was complete about a minute after I refreshed my coffee.
  11. Do not interrupt the update process, even if it seems to take forever. I poured myself a cup of coffee and surfed the web until the camera flashed "Complete" and shut itself off.
  12. Turn the camera off.
  13. Turn the camera on.
  14. Format the card to remove the file so that it doesn't update again and again and ...
  15. Check the firmware number. The K3 keeps it at the bottom of page 4 of the "wrench" menu.
  16. My K10 would give me the firmware version if I held the menu button while turning it on, unless I had a bin file on the card.
I hope this helps. If you are still leery of trying this, find a handy 15 year old and let her do it for you. She will probably shake her head at how ancient and dumb you are, but that comes with teenage attitudes. Don't let it bother you.
Not so worried about teen-age attitudes, and I have plenty of computer experience and experience installing new firmware on K-10, K-20, K-1, and K-7. However, when I follow every step to the letter and brick my K-5ii, now that bothers me! I think you have to get bricked and lose your camera for 6 months to fully understand.
10-21-2015, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Not so worried about teen-age attitudes, and I have plenty of computer experience and experience installing new firmware on K-10, K-20, K-1, and K-7. However, when I follow every step to the letter and brick my K-5ii, now that bothers me! I think you have to get bricked and lose your camera for 6 months to fully understand.
Did you figure out the cause? It seems the most likely causes are: Bad battery, flat battery or bad SD card. Any idea what caused yours?

10-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did you figure out the cause? It seems the most likely causes are: Bad battery, flat battery or bad SD card. Any idea what caused yours?

Yeah, all camera firmware instructions will say to make sure the battery's fully charged - not sure if everyone pays attention to that.
10-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, I was totally meticulous about every step. Used Pentax brand battery fully charged, no problem with card, etc. I would feel better if there were some logical explanation for bricking, but everything was done according to the book.
10-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I was totally meticulous about every step. Used Pentax brand battery fully charged, no problem with card, etc. I would feel better if there were some logical explanation for bricking, but everything was done according to the book.
Weird. Not a good experience. I've often wondered why they've not designed it to be able to roll back to the previous driver if there's a problem with the update.

10-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Then the .bin file might have been corrupted, perhaps in the extraction.

Once the original firmware is overwritten, there's no code left to run anything. The camera doesn't know what to do when you switch it back on.

This was the attraction of dual BIOS motherboards in the old days ... you still had one copy to try to boot from if you killed one of them during an update.

The only way you'd know if the .bin file was okay was to check and compare its filesize against a known good one, or even better, did a checksum against a known good one.

Sad tale, Ivan.
10-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #54
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, did CSA get the deed done?

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
10-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #55
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, I haven't done the update as of yet; after reading Ivanvernon's experience. If this was to happen to anyone, it probably would be me, and I don't wish to be without my beautiful K3 for months, if something does go wrong. Right now, the camera is performing way above my expectations, and I'm in no hurry to try this.

"The only way you'd know if the .bin file was okay was to check and compare its filesize against a known good one, or even better, did a checksum against a known good one."

It's things such as this, that are way over my capabilities on a computer.
10-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
No, I haven't done the update as of yet; after reading Ivanvernon's experience. If this was to happen to anyone, it probably would be me, and I don't wish to be without my beautiful K3 for months, if something does go wrong. Right now, the camera is performing way above my expectations, and I'm in no hurry to try this.

"The only way you'd know if the .bin file was okay was to check and compare its filesize against a known good one, or even better, did a checksum against a known good one."

It's things such as this, that are way over my capabilities on a computer.
Download two or three files and extract them.
If all the bin files are the same size chances are they are all good (or all bad - more unlikely)
10-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #57
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
or all bad - more unlikely

Did you have to add that?
10-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The important thing is just to enjoy the camera, and the K3 is a beauty - I just keep loving mine more and more with each passing month and can well understand your reluctance to risk it!

Happy shooting.
11-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can I ask a stupid question? Where is the firmware for K3ii? just got one and version 1.0 is on it now.
11-02-2015, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
can I ask a stupid question? Where is the firmware for K3ii? just got one and version 1.0 is on it now.
The K-3 II hasn't yet had a firmware update, you are up to date.

Cheers,
Terry