Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 questions

I setup all the information, English, time, etc. Now whenever I turn the camera on, the language page of setup comes up, rather than the camera/lens info. I have to hit "menu" to get out of the setup page. Anything I'm missing to have the camera go directly to camera information?

BTW, anyone having questions on the K3, feel free to post in this thread; it will benefit all of us that have new K3's!

Last edited by csa; 10-17-2015 at 07:21 AM.
10-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update; operator failure! I guess I didn't click on the "settings complete" at the end. Now the camera settings do come up when turned on.
10-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Operator failure is usually my problem too

Hope you enjoy your new toy tool - I can imagine there being some differences from the trusty old K10!
10-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm trying to get to "Custom Image" page. Instructions say to push the right/4 way controller when in standby mode. However, doing this only moves the 9-point focus grid pattern. I've tried in P, etc. modes and still cannot get into the Custom Image page. Anyone know how to do this?

10-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carol, try turning the K-3 off and then turning it back on to get into standby mode. It sounds like it's in the AF Mode if you're changing the point selection. Remember that the camera needs to be ready to shoot when you press the right arrow. It works fine on mine.
10-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm trying to get to "Custom Image" page. Instructions say to push the right/4 way controller when in standby mode. However, doing this only moves the 9-point focus grid pattern. I've tried in P, etc. modes and still cannot get into the Custom Image page. Anyone know how to do this?

You can toggle the function of the 4-way controller with the button to the lower far right (to the right of the "Menu" button).
10-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You can toggle the function of the 4-way controller with the button to the lower far right (to the right of the "Menu" button).
I just learned something new! Thanks!
10-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep! That did it, thanks!

10-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I just learned something new! Thanks!
What is bad is when you toggle it by accident. The base of my thumb worked real well at that task the first few months after I bought my K-3.

Steve
10-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
After using my new K3 for 2 weeks, I absolutely am amazed with it! The size fits my hands perfectly; all the buttons are situated that works for me. The only thing I've found that I'm not fond of, is opening the SD door. I much prefer the K10 method of turning the little "key", and the door pops open. The K3, you slide open the SD chamber. I find this awkward, as there's really no place to hold on, while sliding it open. Also removing the SD card in the first #1 slot, is kind of difficult because the hinge is very close to where you grab the card. Of course this is simply little nitpicks, that I can live with very, very well, in order to use this awesome camera!
10-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I absolutely am amazed with it!
We hear that a lot

I much prefer the K10 method of turning the little "key", and the door pops open.
Uh, huh...

Also removing the SD card in the first #1 slot, is kind of difficult because the hinge is very close to where you grab the card.
Yes, and one of my pet peeves with the camera.

Steve
10-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, I don't know why they decided on this new door; they had a winner on the K10 (and probably later models as well). That's the only complaint I have.
11-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Steve, I don't know why they decided on this new door; they had a winner on the K10 (and probably later models as well). That's the only complaint I have.
Don't know when they changed that, but the K-5 has the same fiddly card door as the K-3. I, too, think the K10 has a much better solution.
11-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Don't know when they changed that, but the K-5 has the same fiddly card door as the K-3. I, too, think the K10 has a much better solution.
I agree! I have very small hands, & it's difficult for me to pull #1 SD card out; I can't imagine men, with larger fingers tussling with it! Plus, sliding the door back, there's not a good place to hold the camera while doing this.

I know it's a very small nitpick; and the only one I have, but I wish they had kept something similar to the K10's access door.
11-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I setup all the information, English, time, etc. Now whenever I turn the camera on, the language page of setup comes up, rather than the camera/lens info. I have to hit "menu" to get out of the setup page. Anything I'm missing to have the camera go directly to camera information?

BTW, anyone having questions on the K3, feel free to post in this thread; it will benefit all of us that have new K3's!
I just received my new K3 on Friday 11/13 (ummmmmmm Friday the 13th); well that old superstitution has always worked in my favor. The camera has a plethora of new and improved capabilities and over the weekend I tried to digest what the camera can do. I am starting to get my arms around its capabilities but time, practice and patience will eventually pay dividends. The picture quality is wonderful. I tried some shots with my 43mm 1.9 and 77mm 1.8 prime lenses and the results are beautiful. The shutter speed, motion picture, 24 mp sensor, etc etc make this camera truly competitive with most of what Canon and Nikon are offering. I am looking forward to do some shooting with "Bigma" my Sigma 50-500 and catch some of the activity with the hummingbirds that visit my backyard. I am truly impressed with the camera and the marriage of Pentax and Ricoh seems to be a postive one. What I would be interested in getting feedback on are some of the settings that others have found that enhance the quality of their shoots under various conditions. If you have a suggested change from the default I would be interested in learning how it improves and under what circumstances (what, where, when and why) that it works best to get optimum results. In Scottsdale, AZ we have a location called Butterfly Wonderland where butterflies from around the world are brought in and they are flying around the enclosed forest like environment and one can get up close and personal to capture some excellent shots. I look forward to going their soon and giving the K3 a workout. Take care and I look forward to hearing what suggestions come from this forum.