Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
C5 Linking Exposure and Focus Point

When is this useful? Would this be useful for shooting birds in flight to get better exposure for the bird without going to spot metering, tough to keep the spot on the bird?

10-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That option applies only to matrix metering.... but I rather choose not to since the exposure will depend on what you focus on before the shutter is tripped. Of course, that's my understanding, which could be wrong.
10-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
That option applies only to matrix metering
That is my understanding as well, but the end result is similar to a moving spot reading. I don't use it, but can imagine it would be useful for BIF and similar subjects. (The traditional approach for BIF is to use manual exposure based on an incident light reading.)

Steve
10-18-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The classic example of when NOT to use it would be when focusing on the bright white sail of a yacht in the middle of a deep blue sea .... Here the full matrix pattern would pick a better EV based on the predominant mid tones on the areas that are not in focus. So conversely, the time to use it would be when its a mid-toned area that is your main subject .... Some portraits would fit that scenario.

It's a different concept to spot metering, although its tempting to equate the two as we see the red focus indicator in the viewfinder, which can make it seem the same as spot metering. I guess its really a bias of metering weighting based around the in focus areas, which could be covered by any of the focus points. It's actual angle of effect would vary depending on this, whereas spot mode is a fixed angle of view.

10-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

IMHO, spot metering is entire different, which in essence ignore the rest of the scene except for the small area where the focus is landed. In matrix metering, they use an algorithm involving different weights applied depending on the complexity of lighting of the entire frame. So, if you use Matrix metering with C5 applied, the exposure could be different depending on the focus point selected.