Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

ISO K3 Question

My wife has a Nikon D7100. Her camera has the ability to look at a white card and adjust the ISO. Does the K# do the same thing? or is the approach looking at a true white card and adjusting the ISO manually?

Getting ready for kids indoor sports with those funky yellow lights.

10-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
My wife has a Nikon D7100. Her camera has the ability to look at a white card and adjust the ISO. Does the K# do the same thing? or is the approach looking at a true white card and adjusting the ISO manually?

Getting ready for kids indoor sports with those funky yellow lights.
Are you referring to manual white balance? Or auto ISO? I'm not sure what you are asking here.
10-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you asking about metering or white balance. I think the latter. Yes, you can set a custom white balance based on a gray/white card reading. The instructions are on pages 52-53 in the K-3 user manual, though they are a little confusing. Let me see if I can provide the steps in a clearer fashion:
  1. Make sure rear LCD display is enabled and not turned off
  2. Press ◄ on the 4-way controller to go to white balance control
  3. Choose "Manual White Balance" (2nd from right...strange icon...box with two arrows below) and press ▼ to move down to icon1, icon2, or icon3. These are three possible manual presets. The rear LCD should provide a live view display.
  4. Point the camera at your white card and fully depress the shutter. The display should refresh with the white balance based on your white card.
  5. You can use the arrows to fine tune the position for the reading. You can also push the "info" button to manually fine tune the set point.
  6. Push "OK" to assign that value to the preset
Give it a try in the comfort of your living room to make sure you're a comfortable with the process. Have fun at the game!

Steve
10-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Cool..thank you. White balance is correct. I'll check my manual

10-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cool..thank you. White balance is correct. I'll check my manual

https://youtu.be/oDDX5ncUMpo
Nice video. The capabilities are very similar as are the steps to set. You might also want to give the auto white balance a try too. I have found that the K-3 does a pretty decent job most of the time.

Steve
10-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 for auto white balance, with the very occasional minor tweak in Lightroom if needed.
10-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In theatrical settings I do custom white balance but most of the time I can get by with auto or by selecting one of the presets. The capability is there for manual however.

10-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Assuming you're shooting jpegs... You might also want to consider shooting in raw mode.
Setting your white balance up front is not a real requirement with raw mode other than saving some time and a few steps.

Of course, depending on the conditions and your settings (i.e. not being in AWB mode), raw files can actually save a lot of time and a lot of effort.
If lighting color shifts and you do need to make adjustments, you will have a greater latitude with a raw file than with a jpeg and a greater chance of properly correcting your images.

If you do well with JPEG and not comfortable using raw yet, stay there.
But if you start having issues correcting color, think about moving to raw.
10-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

AWB + RAW + a grey card shot at the scene as a check (to aid post-processing WB corrections) is what I usually use.
10-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use AWB with a card or something else in one of the images that is grey (as rawr points out). With Lightroom, it's as simple as pressing [W] and clicking the little brush icon on the neutral coloured card.
10-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
Cool...thanks all. I shoot in RAW so looks like either way will work...manual or continue on the path of AWB
10-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shoot in RAW so looks like either way will work
Yep...it makes no difference except for convenience. In RAW, Lightroom will take the embedded numbers and apply them during the conversion. The actual data is the same regardless of the white balance settings at capture time.

Steve