Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Multi-exposure blending modes

I'm fairly new to in-camera multi-exposures and enjoyed a session out and about with a Canon-wielding friend on Sunday making some ME images. I now find I have a few questions.

1. My K3 has Bright, Average and Additive blending modes, which offers a lot of creative flexibility, but not Dark mode, as offered by the Canon DSLR. This chooses dark pixels over lighter pixels, the reverse of the Bright mode. It allowed my friend even more scope and would seem to be an obvious complement of the Bright mode. I wonder why the K3 does not have it and whether it is likely to be added by a firmware update?

2. In Bright mode, are the relative luminance values compared for each channel - RGB - or just for the composite?

3. The Canon DSLR allowed my friend the option of retaining each individual shot which went into making up the final ME image. The K3 does not seem to offer this. Is that right, or have I not found the right menu option?

Many thanks in advance for any answers.

10-20-2015, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Off the top of my head, I think you can retain each image by clicking the "save" option on the set up screen.
10-20-2015, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hajr12 Quote
2. In Bright mode, are the relative luminance values compared for each channel - RGB - or just for the composite?
I would say for the composite.

However the K-3 manual is, unfortunately, very brief when describing how the multi-exposure options work. But the Pentax web site offers some more info about what ME does for each mode:

K-3 Multi-exposure

Average
Since the K-3 calculates the average exposure level of captured images, you can create a normal-exposure composite image without resetting the exposure for each image. This is the simplest mode for enjoying the complicated multi-exposure technique.

Additive
The exposure level of all captured images is totaled to synthesize a composite image. When you under- or overexpose certain images, the brightness difference in these images is reflected in the resulting image.

Comparative Brightness
The brighter areas of captured images are averaged in a composite image, while the darker areas are expressed as they are. This mode comes in handy when synthesizing subjects such as the moon, fireworks and illuminated buildings into a single image.

K-3 II Multi-exposure

[ Average ]
The exposure is averaged and merged. Even without adjusting the exposure for each shot the merged image results in a standard exposure for easy multi-exposure shooting.

[ Additive ]
Exposure is added and merged. For example, by moderating the exposure for each image, the contrast is reflected in the finished result.

[ Bright ]
Bright sections of each image are merged. This is also effective for leaving dark sections as is, and overlapping brighter objects such as the moon, fireworks, or illuminated buildings.
10-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the Pentax web site offers some more info about what ME does for each mode:
Thanks for sharing these two links. I have found this feature to be somewhat confusing and this helps a lot.

Steve

03-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks for the replies.