Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Is it possible for K-3 to get pixel shift ability?

Well, as a owner of K-3 I was blow away by the image qulity of K-3 II with pixel shift on.

So I start digging some info and I know

1)They have same image sensor and image engine

2)The SR system might have slight differece, but the pixel level controlled move is there with AA simulator function

K-3 AA simulator
K-3 II AA simulator
K-3 II pixel shift

I don't see any difference in terms of hardware control, more is the image processing after shots were taken. And there shouldn't be the limit since they have same image engine (PRIME III)

I understand pixel shift is not a feature you can use in every shot but still a very nice feature to have. It is really exciting if RICOH/Pentax can release it to K-3 maybe after it discontiuned on the market in case making any impact of the K-3 II selling.

How you guys think? Thanks

10-20-2015, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

just blend a stack of 4 or 5 photos in Photoshop and you will have *almost* as good quality as the K-3ii with pixel shift -- one difference is that for many types of images you can handhold your camera doing the stack since the K-3 is so fast at image capture.

Michael
10-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebrafish Quote
It is really exciting if RICOH/Pentax can release it to K-3 maybe after it discontiuned on the market in case making any impact of the K-3 II selling. How you guys think? Thanks
I think: It will not happen. Most likely there is some small hardware change that would prevent it being done in the k-3, this is not (IMHO) just a firmware thing.

But more importantly: Why would they?
10-20-2015, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebrafish Quote
Well, as a owner of K-3 I was blow away by the image qulity of K-3 II with pixel shift on.
Just take 8 photos of the same scene, combine them in software, and you've got super resolution. There's a nice article on the petapixel on it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-3II has more image stabilization than the K-3, probably in part because of a hardware change as jatrax suggests. Firmware won't do it.
10-20-2015, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just take 8 photos of the same scene, combine them in software, and you've got super resolution. There's a nice article on the petapixel on it
A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
10-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But more importantly: Why would they?
What Jatrax said.
Whether the K-3 has the same hardware or not, it really doesn't matter. As a K-3 owner, I'd love for Pentax to make this killer feature available to me, but there's no incentive. I've spent my $1000 on the K-3 and withholding the feature from my camera incentivizes me to spend another $1000 for the K-3 II. I don't like that Capitalism gets in the way of potential consumer satisfaction, but that's the way it goes. That said I have my fingers crossed...loosely.

10-20-2015, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup that's the one! Pixel shifting just makes it more convenient and it requires fewer frames.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2015, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

I ran an experiment based on that article with instruction , analysis and pictures.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/289384-super-re...t-process.html

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 10:28 PM ----------

Yup that's the one! Pixel shifting just makes it more convenient and it requires fewer frames.
Actually they require 20 frames, if memory serves.
10-21-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
just blend a stack of 4 or 5 photos in Photoshop and you will have *almost* as good quality as the K-3ii with pixel shift -- one difference is that for many types of images you can handhold your camera doing the stack since the K-3 is so fast at image capture.

Michael
Agreed! I have done this with 20 images (probably overkill) with excellent results providing there is no ghosting to contend with (wind blowing branches or whatever). As you mention, it helps to do this differently than with the pixel shift, i.e. don't use a tripod and let the PS software align it all.When the aligning occurs the pixels overlap and...presto! There are several articles about this "super resolution" technique on the Internet, which produces large files.

Last edited by quant2325; 10-21-2015 at 09:27 AM.
10-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #11

Lightroom HDR

Is it possible to take 5 shots without bracketing and process them in LR HDR, to get somewhat close. This would take care of ghosting and alignment. ??????????????
10-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The two techniques are essentially different*, but many of the benefits are the same. It would be nice to migrate the feature back to the K-3, but what (noted above) is the incentive?

Steve

* Compare the process as described in the linked article point-by-point with the description on this site of how pixel-shift works.
10-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With the K-3, shooting in Multi-exposure or Interval Composite mode might be another way of emulating pixel shift or super-resolution. Both modes let you blend up to 2000 shots in-camera.