Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

AF Focus Problem on K-3

When in contimuous shooting mode the autofocus will intermittently lock up on my K-3. Sometimes when I press the shutter release button the focus indicator in the viewfinder remains lit as it it is supposed to when focus is achieved but the red light in the screen where the focus points are does NOT light up. The shutter will release but the lens will not focus. This locked status remains stuck for five seconds or more and then eventually returns to normal focusing operation. For a while it will work normally, then lock up again as described above.

It occurs on multiple lenses. I have also used the same lenses on my K5II with no problems at all.

Settings are Tv, continous (high speed), AF-S. spot focusing area, auto ISO.

I sent the K-3 to Precision for repair. They have now "repaired" it twice but there is absolutely no difference. Intermittent lock up continues. When you initially test it AF seems fine but after a while the intermittent lock up occures. I wonder if they are not testing it properly to find the lock up issue.

Thoughts?

10-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the "hold" settings. C18 in the menus. I don't know if that is the problem you are having, but it strikes me that this is too much information for the AF system.
10-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

First suggestion would be to reset all custom settings to defaults.
[Menu > C4 > Reset Custom Funtions].
Then turn the camera off and on and see how if it works as you expect it to.

Also: does the issue occur when you switch to other AF modes like AF.A or AF-C?
And does the same issue occur when other AF area settings are used in AF-S (ie 27 point, Zone Select etc)?

Plus if you aren't using the latest K-3 firmware (v1.21), a firmware update might do something useful.