Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

K3 with Speedlight

Im curious if Pentax fixed the flash issue that was a problem on the K5? When I owned the K5, I couldn't reliably use the Pentax flash ( bounce or straight ) without a great degree of exposure problems. Is this problem resolved with the K3?

10-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
Im curious if Pentax fixed the flash issue that was a problem on the K5? When I owned the K5, I couldn't reliably use the Pentax flash ( bounce or straight ) without a great degree of exposure problems. Is this problem resolved with the K3?
My experience with the K-3 is that using an external flash is very consistent and gives great results. There is a new problem with the K-3; there is a slight but noticeable delay between pressing the shutter button and when the exposure is taken when using P-TTL. This does not occur with previous cameras, nor does it occur when in manual flash modes. It is limited to P-TTL use. This is really only an issue if you shoot action.
10-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not familiar with the K-5 issues, but my K-3 P-TTL works well as long as it is paired with an autofocus lens. Performance with "A" series glass (no data pin for focus distance estimate) is spotty and not as good as what I enjoyed with my K10D. You might want to take a look at the newly-released, updated flash guide published by this site. Edit: not pertinent

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
10-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, P-TTL is much more reliable on the K3 than the K5, particularly off-camera. However, there is a price. With P-TTL (on or off camera), there is a lag of about 0.3 sec between pushing the shutter release button and the shot actually being taken. This may or may not be of concern to you. There is no lag with the flash in manual mode.

10-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, P-TTL is much more reliable on the K3 than the K5, particularly off-camera. However, there is a price. With P-TTL (on or off camera), there is a lag of about 0.3 sec between pushing the shutter release button and the shot actually being taken. This may or may not be of concern to you. There is no lag with the flash in manual mode.
That shutter lag is good to know. .3 second is a country mile if you are shooting wedding dancing in poorly lit rooms!

Randy
10-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
That shutter lag is good to know. .3 second is a country mile if you are shooting wedding dancing in poorly lit rooms!

Randy
The lag occurs with the on-board flash as well as from the hot shoe, so you can test it out on your K-3. I sort of understand the concern with the lag, but if immediacy is very important, P-TTL is not the right technology for the job, lag ro no lag.

Steve
10-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I had a few occasions with random massively overexposed images using the AF360 (take the shot again same settings, no problem) with the K-7. One photo was pretty regrettable as I couldn't get it again.
K-3, zero flash exposure problems, even with bounce flash or stofen.

10-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have had no real issues using a flash with the K-3 but I almost never use P-TTL and mostly shoot manual.
10-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had no issue with the K3, I use the Metz 52 AF-1 (with PTTL), no lag at all !
10-30-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I had no issue with the K3, I use the Metz 52 AF-1 (with PTTL), no lag at all !
There is a 16-page thread about this problem. It is very real. I too use the Metz 52 AF-1 with my K3.
10-30-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a 16-page thread about this problem. It is very real. I too use the Metz 52 AF-1 with my K3.
Yes there certainly was a thread several months back. My K-3 has no lag between shutter button press (I use back button focus) and flash firing with either my Sigma EF 610 DG Super or the built in flash using the P-TTL system. I just rechecked it this mornng after reading this thread.....nope still no lag. In that 16 page thread I can't remember seeing any post that offered instrumented proof of an actual lag on all K-3s and without instrumentation I don't see how in the heck anyone can quantify a certain amount of time lag for flash firing like 2 or 3 tenths of a second. Suffice it to say that not all K-3s have a lag problem with their P-TTL flash system.
10-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yes there certainly was a thread several months back. My K-3 has no lag between shutter button press (I use back button focus) and flash firing with either my Sigma EF 610 DG Super or the built in flash using the P-TTL system. I just rechecked it this mornng after reading this thread.....nope still no lag. In that 16 page thread I can't remember seeing any post that offered instrumented proof of an actual lag on all K-3s and without instrumentation I don't see how in the heck anyone can quantify a certain amount of time lag for flash firing like 2 or 3 tenths of a second. Suffice it to say that not all K-3s have a lag problem with their P-TTL flash system.
See the post from Frank the Matt on page 14. I have also posted images of myself in a mirror where I raised my index finger to vertical off the shutter release by the time the shot is taken. I can easily do this with P-TTL, but not when the flash is in manual. The delay happens both with the built-in flash and with my Metz 52.

Of course I can't prove that this afflicts "all K-3s", as I don't have access to all K-3s. It affects mine and those of many others. At least one poster to the thread says he returned his K3 because of this problem and tried another one in the shop, but it was the same.
10-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See the post from Frank the Matt on page 14. I have also posted images of myself in a mirror where I raised my index finger to vertical off the shutter release by the time the shot is taken. I can easily do this with P-TTL, but not when the flash is in manual. The delay happens both with the built-in flash and with my Metz 52.

Of course I can't prove that this afflicts "all K-3s", as I don't have access to all K-3s. It affects mine and those of many others. At least one poster to the thread says he returned his K3 because of this problem and tried another one in the shop, but it was the same.
It seem that some examples of the K-3 do exhibit lag. DPReview has an old thread about it and somewhere around half reported a lag. Here on Pentax Forums I think you will find the same thing.....some units do and some don't. I may just be fortunate with my K-3 as I have never had an ounce of problems with any of the K-3 problems I've seen posted on various forums.
10-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
It seem that some examples of the K-3 do exhibit lag.
Most of the accounts on the other thread are essentially anecdotal. That being said, the study with a coupled oscilloscope clearly showed the lag between shutter actuation and pre-flash. The lag is real, is 0.018s and essentially doubles the P-TTL latency for the lens/flash combo used for the test. Whether this creates significant risk for missed shots depends a lot on the photographer and choice of subjects and skill with timing.

Oscilloscope Evidence of K-3 P-TTL Flash Delay

Again, the solution is to use a manual flash or auto-thyristor setup, the former having the advantage of fine control over flash illumination.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-30-2015 at 03:52 PM.