Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Troubleshooting Wireless Shutter release on K3

Equipment Used: 2x PocketWizard PlusX and genuine working PW cable. K3 with FA lens.
I have tried this before and it worked. I am using the PWs without any problem with external flashes.
Could I have screwed up something in the menu?

This time I have failed with all 3 possible setups with Av mode.
1. PW mounted on K3 hotshoe
2. PW mounted on K3 hotshoe and cable connected to K3 PC sync port
3. PW connected to K3 Pc sync port with cable
Both PWs are set to same channel.

Any tips would be appreciated.

11-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I am misunderstanding but if you want to remote trigger the shutter doesn't the cable have to go to the remote shutter release port not the PC Sync? At least that is how it worked on my k-5 and Cactus remotes. Have not tried it on the k-3 but I would think it should still work that way.
11-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe I am misunderstanding but if you want to remote trigger the shutter doesn't the cable have to go to the remote shutter release port not the PC Sync?
You are not misunderstanding! Remote shutter release on the K-3 is available through either an IR signal (front or rear IR sensors) or the cable release fitting at right rear. Neither the hot shoe nor the PC port are capable of triggering the shutter...flash stuff only for those two. This is typical for Pentax cameras having those features. With the PW PlusX you will require the optional CM-C3-ACC cable:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/cable_accessory/38/CM-E3-ACC/

This cable is listed for various Canon models, but is compatible with Pentax too.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-03-2015 at 10:03 AM.
11-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The PW PC Sync cable (top) wont fit in the remote shutter release port on the K3 (Pentax spec is different for the Remote SR port). (Below = Vello Wired Remote switch cable).

---------- Post added 11-03-15 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/cable_accessory/38/CM-E3-ACC/
This cable is listed for various Canon models, but is compatible with Pentax too.
Thanks Steve, yes Pentax can use the miniphone (3/32" or 2.5 mm). I must have used that one earlier. They all look so similar with the PW logo in blue, I must have the wrong cable with me on this trip. Will have to find another solution. Thanks.

---------- Post added 11-03-15 at 07:06 PM ----------

In the meantime, I am going to try some DIY stuff perhaps.
here are 2 nice links for the DIY guys - I am tempted to try it back home.

Paulo Rodrigues Photography: Kaiser Hot Shoe Mod for Skyports or Pocket Wizards

"It's Time for the PC Jack to Die." (strobist.com) / Pimping your poverty wizards (aka ebay triggers) // www.flomei.de

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo