Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3II recommended default settings?

I'm wondering what a good set of default settings would be for my new K-3II. I'm coming from a K-50, and it seems a bit different. I'm mostly interested in where to start with the noise reduction, diffraction, lens correction, anti alias and similar settings. I didn't have as many choices on the K-50. I do mostly outdoor pics, wildlife and landscape, and night shots. I'd like to have a good base to work off of before I move to more specialized settings. Or should I just reset to camera defaults? I'm shooting RAW and have good software for post processing noise, lens corrections, etc (DxO, Lr).

11-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I'm shooting RAW and have good software for post processing noise, lens corrections, etc (DxO, Lr).
Lens corrections and noise reduction (except for dark frame subtraction) only apply to JPEGs, but you can leave them on their defaults for when you shoot RAW+ for cleaner out-of-camera files. My other recommendation for JPEGs would be to make sure the sharpness is either set to 0 or -1 in your custom image settings.

I would keep the AA filter simulator disabled at all times unless you're shooting textiles or notice prominent moire in your images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Rob. The noise reduction, lens correction, sharpness etc. settings will only impact JPEG files. For AA, I recommend you leave it off unless you see something in the frame - a fine, repeating pattern (such as mesh, cloth weaves etc) that might potentially cause moiré. If you like, I will check my K3 settings tomorrow and send them to you.

EDIT: Ah, Adam beat me to it
11-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I assume then that I could set all that up for JPEG shooting and it would be ignored most of the time when I'm shooting RAW. And then those settings would kick in whenever I use some feature that produces JPEG by necessity. I'm a bit unclear on what produces only JPEG; I'd assume in-camera stuff like HDR, multiple exposure compositing, time lapse movie, etc. But what about Astrotracer?

04-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like I also need help with my k-3II. I tried using the recommended settings for the k-3 and found that results aren't as good as my k-5II. I still find it a bit noisy at bright sunlight even at ISO 400. Color is also not as good as my k-5II. Can anyone suggest more tweaks in my settings?

Last edited by totsmuyco; 04-28-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added more to the message
06-05-2016, 02:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, I found out why the colors in my k-5II looks better than my k-3II. My k-3II provides a reading which is about .70 to 1.0 stops over exposed than my k-5II. I tested both cameras with the same lenses and with the same lighting conditions and saw the difference. When I followed the k-5II's meter reading, both cameras gave similar outputs.

Does anybody know if the light meter can be calibrated or reset? I don't know what happened to my k-3II. One day I just saw that it just started to give me these results.
06-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

maybe have a minus EV setting enabled.
06-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
maybe have a minus EV setting enabled.
That's what I actually do now.