Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 04:38 AM   #1

Should I buy a second hand K-3?

Hi everybody,
I'm new kid in town so forgive me if I have miss something....

I felt in love with the K-5 but I had to sell it for some reason. I really loved the feel, ergonomics and the menu system... You might know what I'm talking about . Now I'm struggling with the idea of buying a secondhand K-3 in very good condition. In fact, too good that the seller have even kept the original box and claims "few shutter releases". I've got the picture: a middle age guy with some money and free time had bought a brand-new camera, used for a couple of weeks and then got tired because of the camera is too "complicated" for him. For whatever reason, the price asked is 650 USD (well, more or less, we don't use USD in my country). At this point, I barely believe it's covered by warranty.

Indeed, it's a very tempting ebay-alike offer because this model in my country is either already sold out or, if it's on stock, the price increases to 1000 USD. It also comes with the kit glass and I have already two old K mount lenses, so I was ready to close the deal but after I have read more about it, I found some issues (e.gr "crazy flip mirror"). So my questions are:

1. Why do people claim that they have installed the 1.3 firmware if there isn't firmware called 1.3 on Pentax official website? The latest firmware for this camera is 1.21 (27/05)
2. They who have installed the ghostly 1.3 report none change concerning the "crazy flip mirror" issue. Is it mean that the issue have never ever been solved?
3. For me, as a well informed customer, it seems fishy that this one year-old model is already discontinued. In many countries is a very hard to grasp item... Why did Pentax move so fast to new marks models? Even if they aren't in the same class, I can still find new Nikons D3200 and 3 years Canons on stock (that doesn't mean I'm interesting in buying one of those).

I know what I need so I'm not after a hint like "buy this camera instead...." because I would rather prefer save money and wait and wait for something more realible.

Thank in advance for any advice
ChileanGuy

Last edited by Parallax; 11-06-2015 at 01:17 PM.
11-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would buy one from the forum. That way you can pretty much ensure you get what you pay for
11-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Too bad you can't get one delivered by Adorama or B&H new for your price.

I have never had any problems with my K3. It is better than the K5 was (which I still have) and I can definitely recommend it.
11-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I would buy one from the forum. That way you can pretty much ensure you get what you pay for
The problem with this is the very long shipping, which can even be expensive and risky. Plus he would probably have to pay import duty. It is usually better to buy second hand locally, or at least from the same continent.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChileanPentaxGuy Quote
1.03 firmware if there isn't firmware called 1.03 on Pentax official website? The latest firmware for this camera is 1.21
I don't have a K-3, so I haven't been keeping up with those updates. But If those numbers are correct, then it is possible 1.03 existed some time in the past, and was then replaced by 1.21 (1.21 is greater than 1.03)
3. For me, as a well informed customer, it seems fishy that this one year-old model is already discontinued
Yes, Pentax has moved very quickly with K-3 and K-3II, and even from K-30 on to K-50 and K-S1 to K-S2. I think there are two parts to this. 1) Pentax was bought by Ricoh from Hoya. This big change took some time to become noticeable, and it may have forced Pentax to hurry up with some things. This might also just be the new business model for Pentax - we are just used to the much slower Hoya-Pentax model.
2) Stiff competition. While Pentax K-3II is among the best APSC sensors DLSRs, it still faces a lot of competition. Canikon, as always, but increasingly Sony (with many, many camera models, some are really tiny and affordable, and still have APSC sensor; and Sony has established distribution channels in most markets) and even m43 cameras (the quality of these has grown a lot since their first introduction). So Pentax has to lower their margins and increase their tempo to stay relevant.

because I would rather prefer save money and wait and wait for something more realible.
Problem here is that nothing is super reliable anymore. Nikon had problems with their mid tier and even flagship. Canon had problems with their flagship, as well. Any brand can have a hiccup. With a K-3, you at least aren't overpaying. If you buy used, you can sell it on with a minimal loss, or get it repaired.

Anyway, I don't have K-3 or K-3II camera, but both seem to be really good. Some copies develop that mirror flap thing, but that doesn't mean yours would. You can also try to meet that person, so you can show you how the camera works.
Chile is a beautiful country, hope you get a great camera to photograph it

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-06-2015 at 07:01 AM.
11-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have had a K3 for some months now and I love it. Coming from mostly using my iPhone (the 6+ has a great camera and the image stabiliser is outstanding, I find it almost impossible to take a blurred photo.........unfortunately I can't say the same about a DSLR although it's improving more and more as I get familiar with it)

Anyway back to the K3, I would say, if you can't afford or don't want to take the shipping risk to import a new one as suggested above and you think the camera is all as described, I would say why deny yourself this great camera when you can have it and be using it now. After all, there is no guarantee you are going to get something better down the line and that may still involve shipping.
11-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi everybody,
I'm new kid in town so forgive me if I have miss something....

I felt in love with the K-5 but I had to sell it for some reason. I really loved the feel, ergonomics and the menu system... You might know what I'm talking about . Now I'm struggling with the idea of buying a secondhand K-3 in very good condition. In fact, too good that the seller have even kept the original box and claims "few shutter releases". I've got the picture: a middle age guy with some money and free time had bought a brand-new camera, used for a couple of weeks and then got tired because of the camera is too "complicated" for him. For whatever reason, the price asked is 650 USD (well, more or less, we don't use USD in my country). At this point, I barely believe it's covered by warranty.

Indeed, it's a very tempting ebay-alike offer because this model in my country is either already sold out or, if it's on stock, the price increases to 1000 USD. It also comes with the kit glass and I have already two old K mount lenses, so I was ready to close the deal but after I have read more about it, I found some issues (e.gr "crazy flip mirror"). So my questions are:

1. Why do people claim that they have installed the 1.03 firmware if there isn't firmware called 1.03 on Pentax official website? The latest firmware for this camera is 1.21 (27/05)
2. They who have installed the ghostly 1.03 report none change concerning the "crazy flip mirror" issue. Is it mean that the issue have never ever been solved?
3. For me, as a well informed customer, it seems fishy that this one year-old model is already discontinued. In many countries is a very hard to grasp item... Why did Pentax move so fast to new marks models? Even if they aren't in the same class, I can still find new Nikons D3200 and 3 years Canons on stock (that doesn't mean I'm interesting in buying one of those).

I know what I need so I'm not after a hint like "buy this camera instead...." because I would rather prefer save money and wait and wait for something more realible.

Thank in advance for any advice
ChileanGuy
If you loved the K-5, you'll love the K-3 even more. In my case, I really enjoy the faster autofocus and the smaller, more numerous autofocus points. My unit has never had the mirror flapping issue.
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 owner, no mirror issues. 1.03 was valid at one time. No longer recommended, easy to upgrade. History of firmware for k3:

Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

11-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sorry folks, I meant firmware 1.03 and not 1.3 (which doesn't even exist).. So the meaning of my staments will change but the question remain: have Pentax fixed this issue?

I don't know what I was thinking this morning... Lack of caffein. My bad!

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 01:49 PM ----------

And another thing: I have not camera right now, I feel naked.... I taking a glimpse to the K-S2 instead is more accesible here. By "accesible" I meant you'll find it on-line on stock, ready to be shipped... I already know that the K-3 is a better camera and it's for more professional use, etc., etc. What I would hear of you guys if the K-S2 stand a chance? As I said before, I liked the K-5 very much... Even if video was useless *cough.... red dots* and I got a LOT of another stuck *green* and *red* pixels in JPEG.
11-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded a few months ago from the K7 to the K3 and gave the K7 to my son. I purchased a "previously owned" K3 on an auction site and haven't regretted it once. I haven't had a single problem with it other than the battery doesn't last as long as my previous camera. I've had 4 digital cameras total in my life - Olympus, Sony and then the two Pentax - I've never had a major issue other than an occasional lockup - remove the battery and good to go. So I guess I've never been to worried about buying a used product - but maybe I've just been lucky. Hope it works out well for you.
11-07-2015, 01:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dclauria Quote
I purchased a "previously owned" K-3
Well, it's sound like a happy story. I would like to know, how much did you pay for that beauty?
11-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thread closed!!!! I have already buy a K-3 and it was love at the first sight... It has firmware 1.0 but it that means it is still virgin, lol. The warranty expires within 10 days. Much AF and processing quickier than the K-5 but the video quality sucks... I will try more shots. See yah.
11-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your K3, it is one great camera! I've only had mine about 3 weeks, but cannot believe how much I love it. The images from it are beautiful!

Please post some of your images; as we'd love to see some of your country!

BTW, you can check the shutter count on your K3 here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/check-shutter-count-exif.html
11-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Upgrade the firmware.
11-08-2015, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

BTW, you can check the shutter count on your K3 here:

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
Thanks guys.... I have already done that... It has only 1400 exposures and I have taken about 200 today. I felt like a little kid again. The price was right and for to do justice, I already love this camera, it is not just something about the gear and its mechanic but the emotional factor.
11-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks guys.... I have already done that... It has only 1400 exposures and I have taken about 200 today. I felt like a little kid again. The price was right and for to do justice, I already love this camera, it is not just something about the gear and its mechanic but the emotional factor.
It feels great in the hands, does it not? I recently upgraded from a K10.