Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 + D-BG5 compared to Nikon D7100 + grip?

Sorry for the strange title, but: Has anyone held BOTH a Nikon D7100 + grip as well as K-3 + D-BG5?

I ask because, now that I have purchased a Tokina 80-200 f/2.8, I'm thinking about getting a battery grip for my K-3.

However, I have a friend who has a Nikon D7100 with a battery grip attached; he was the one, in fact that told me I simply HAD to get a battery grip, that it made a world of difference.

But, I tried his Nikon D7100 + grip, and ... meh. It didn't do much for me. Now, he had a Nikon 18-300 attached, which is MUCH lighter than the Tokina.

I should have compared the depth of the two grips, but unfortunately, i did not. I've looked online, and it seems like the K-3 has a deeper grip; so maybe adding battery grip would make more of a difference.

I guess what I'm really wondering is: For those of you that have grip for your K-3, do find the grip indispensable? After tryig the Nikon, I decided that maybe a grip just wasn't for me.

But now that I have this Tokina coming, I'm wondering if I should re-evaluate....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

Greg

11-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K3 grip and wouldn't go without it. I find it great to grip and having the extra battery alone is worth it. I use the shutter button that is built in the grip all the time when shooting portrait shots.
It is really a great investment... I had one ever since my K10.

Good luck with your decision

Randy
11-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-3 and the grip and while I wouldn't say the grip is indispensable, it is very beneficial for shooting in the portrait orientation. I only use the grip when I expect to shoot a significant number of shots in the portrait orientation. For me, that's when I'm shooting sports or portraits. I'm very glad I have the grip.
11-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Had a grip on my K-3 -- never left home without it attached. Invaluable for portrait orientation, plus we don't get the best battery life in the K-3, so the extra battery really sets you up nicely. I thought it balanced perfectly with my old Tamron 70-200. The K-3 is a stocky little camera, so the weight is already there, but the grip made it feel even more balanced to me. I just picked up a D610, and have a battery grip on the way. I liked the overall grip on my old K-3 better than the D610, and I'm hoping the battery grip will be a bit of an equalizer.

11-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a friend who's a Nikon guy and he has the D7100 with the grip. And I use the K3 with the D-BG5 grip. Personally, I love my K3 with the grip, and I wasn't overly impressed with the D7100 with the grip. But I wasn't overly impressed with Nikon's ergonomics either. Grips are a personal choice. My wife doesn't like them because they make camera to heavy for her. Me, I like them. I like the extra battery, extra card storage, I don't mind the extra weight, I'm a big guy, so I like feeling like the camera is firmly in hand.
11-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Greg. I can't opine on Nikon, I'm afraid. However, I use a K3 with D-BG5 grip and a K5 without. They are different shooting experiences. With the grip, the camera has much better balance and handling, in my view. However... there are times when I enjoy shooting without the grip, which adds a lot of weight and bulk. Personally, I recommend the grip, but leave it home when you want a lighter kit.
11-07-2015, 03:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have compared my k30 with tamron 17-50 with Nikon 7100 with 16-85 and k30 can be one hand held and tis has just better grip which dowst slips from your hand. 7100 is made to be used with two hands while k30 can be use with one and even dials can be adjusted. I used k30 in one hand and the reflector in the other
11-07-2015, 04:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When you use a heavy lens like the da* zooms. The grip really balances the body.

11-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't compare anything to Nikon, but I have used my K-3 together with the rather heavy Tamron 70-200/2.8. I must say that the BG-5 grip on the camera gives me a much better balance and makes it easier to use without a tripod.
11-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the K-5ii with a grip, it is similar to the K-3's grip. I use it when I am shooting events or need some extra battery during the day. Personally, I try to keep my kit light when I am photographing for fun, so the grip stays home alot of the time. For the times I need the grip, I would say I can't live without it. So..... I say get it, use it when you need it most.
11-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I have a K3 and 2 grips. Do a lot of Outdoor shooting;love the feel both horizonal and vertical and love the power reserve. Have the battery set on grip priority and dont have to worry about not enough juice. A bit weighty with the Bigma attached but on tripod most of the time anyways.Wouldn't go any where without a grip including indoors where I have an A/C adapter and find myself using the grip more times than not. The D-BG5 seems to fit perfectly adding an extension to the K3's own grip and a full grip to the vertical.
11-08-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gkreth Quote
Sorry for the strange title, but: Has anyone held BOTH a Nikon D7100 + grip as well as K-3 + D-BG5?

I ask because, now that I have purchased a Tokina 80-200 f/2.8, I'm thinking about getting a battery grip for my K-3.

However, I have a friend who has a Nikon D7100 with a battery grip attached; he was the one, in fact that told me I simply HAD to get a battery grip, that it made a world of difference.

But, I tried his Nikon D7100 + grip, and ... meh. It didn't do much for me. Now, he had a Nikon 18-300 attached, which is MUCH lighter than the Tokina.

I should have compared the depth of the two grips, but unfortunately, i did not. I've looked online, and it seems like the K-3 has a deeper grip; so maybe adding battery grip would make more of a difference.

I guess what I'm really wondering is: For those of you that have grip for your K-3, do find the grip indispensable? After tryig the Nikon, I decided that maybe a grip just wasn't for me.

But now that I have this Tokina coming, I'm wondering if I should re-evaluate....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

Greg

I have a grip from DSTE (~$50) and it's very useful. If you have small hands, you can probably get away without it. I don't and I found it to be helpful for a sigma 50-150mm, and even smaller lenses, just for the sake of a secure hold.