Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to display pixel shift images.

Hi all. I just bought a K3ii and took an image with pixel shift on and the same image with it off. When zoomed in, I can't detect a difference when I view them in Lightroom. I'm using Lightroom version 6.2.1 and shooting in dng format. I can see that the pixel shift image is huger (1250mg) and the non-shift is normal size (28mg).

What am I doing wrong?

11-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What were the subjects of the photo? Increased detail from the higher resolution of PixelShift is best for landscapes rather than still-life for example. I have seen samples of the later and agree that there's little difference, but samples of the former are very easy to see the increased detail.
11-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

When you view a pixel shifted dng file in Lightroom I think you just see the first image saved.
11-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
Hi all. I just bought a K3ii and took an image with pixel shift on and the same image with it off. When zoomed in, I can't detect a difference when I view them in Lightroom. I'm using Lightroom version 6.2.1 and shooting in dng format. I can see that the pixel shift image is huger (1250mg) and the non-shift is normal size (28mg).

What am I doing wrong?
You may need to update camera raw. Once updated, you'll probably also want to increase the sharpness slider to get the raw sharpness up to the same quality as an out-of camera pixel shifted JPEG.

If all else fails, use the supplied Pentax software. It's better than Adobe's in some ways. See:

Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
What were the subjects of the photo? Increased detail from the higher resolution of PixelShift is best for landscapes rather than still-life for example. I have seen samples of the later and agree that there's little difference, but samples of the former are very easy to see the increased detail.
My subject was my canvas briefcase at close range, approx. 5 feet. The camera was dead still sitting on my desk. Maybe I should try a landscape shot tomorrow.

Rondec, I was understanding that my version of LR was capable of showing the full high-res pixel shift image. Anyone else know for sure?

---------- Post added 11-09-15 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You may need to update camera raw. Once updated, you'll probably also want to increase the sharpness slider to get the raw sharpness up to the same quality as an out-of camera pixel shifted JPEG.

If all else fails, use the supplied Pentax software. It's better than Adobe's in some ways. See:

Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Thanks, Adam. Do I need Camera Raw if I am only using Lightroom?
11-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My subject was my canvas briefcase at close range, approx. 5 feet. The camera was dead still sitting on my desk. Maybe I should try a landscape shot tomorrow.

Rondec, I was understanding that my version of LR was capable of showing the full high-res pixel shift image. Anyone else know for sure?

Probably. Support for pixel shifted files is very minimal at the moment. (and note that even when you open the file in a program that supports pixel shifted files, the resolution stays at 24 megapixels. You'll just get more detail, less noise and more accurate colors)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

What am I doing wrong?
Make in-camera TIFF from both images and then do the comparison. LR support for pixel shift is only found in the newest version of ACR.

Do I need Camera Raw if I am only using Lightroom?
ACR is a built-in component of Lightroom*. The most recent version should include the updated ACR.

Steve

* The develop module in Lightroom is essentially ACR.
11-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

It is possible. I don't own Lightroom 6 or a K3 II, I just recalled people complaining about Lightroom's support of the RAW pixel shifted files at one point.

11-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will try again today with a variety of subjects and file formats (jpd, tiff, dng). Looking forward to understanding this feature.

Last edited by TroutHunterJohn; 11-10-2015 at 11:46 AM.