Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Rich7333's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
New K3 vs used Prestige

Buy a used K3 or don't risk it?

I'm torn between getting a new K3 or getting a K3 Prestige w/grip which is in like new condition. The store with the K3 Prestige is offering a 30 day repair warranty.

What do you guys think? Should I consider the used Camera?

11-15-2015, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
rfg
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 137
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich7333 Quote
Buy a used K3 or don't risk it?

I'm torn between getting a new K3 or getting a K3 Prestige w/grip which is in like new condition. The store with the K3 Prestige is offering a 30 day repair warranty.

What do you guys think? Should I consider the used Camera?
Do you know the shutter count? If not bring an SD card and take a couple of test photos.
11-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Junior Member
Megapixelmk's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46
30 days is enough to find out if there's problems. I'd go for the Prestige: it looks great and will resell for a greater value when you eventually upgrade.
11-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich7333 Quote
Buy a used K3 or don't risk it?

I'm torn between getting a new K3 or getting a K3 Prestige w/grip which is in like new condition. The store with the K3 Prestige is offering a 30 day repair warranty.

What do you guys think? Should I consider the used Camera?
Something to think about. Why does the store have a used Prestige Edition? Did someone trade it because of problems with the unit?


Larry

11-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,565
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Something to think about. Why does the store have a used Prestige Edition? Did someone trade it because of problems with the unit?


Larry
Could be... or, it could be that the seller is moving to a K3II or - more likely - selling off in preparation for the FF...

Edit: I should have added... if it were me, I'd go for a new, standard K3 with full warranty

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-16-2015 at 08:43 AM.
11-16-2015, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 368
I would definitely buy the new K-3 with full warranty.

Last edited by Bengan; 11-16-2015 at 11:52 PM.
11-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Could be... or, it could be that the seller is moving to a K3II or - more likely - selling off in preparation for the FF...

Edit: I should have added... if it were me, I'd go for a new, standard K3 with full warranty
Me too......new versus old to me is much better. Especially with the new warranty.
11-17-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Rich7333's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. Picked up the Prestige since it only has 682 shutter actuations, and is in perfect condition.

Traded in the K30 and my initial impressions with the K3 are that the camera is miles better in low light and has very snappy performance.



11-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #9
Junior Member
Megapixelmk's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46
Well done. The K3 is a great camera. I also went from K30 to K3 and have never looked back. Enjoy!
11-17-2015, 01:48 AM   #10
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,565
Congratulations - beautiful camera, and that really is a *very* low shutter count!!
11-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,824
the shutter count is unbelievable (in a good way) you got a "new" prestige right there !
the 50-135 will shine on your K3 prestige for sure
11-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Rich7333's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Original Poster
Enjoying the camera so far

11-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member
PePe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 463
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich7333 Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. Picked up the Prestige since it only has 682 shutter actuations, and is in perfect condition.

Traded in the K30 and my initial impressions with the K3 are that the camera is miles better in low light and has very snappy performance.
Congratulations ! The K-3 is a lot faster in every respect.
With the grip the camera is a joy to handle even with big lenses. Having an extra battery is also a big benefit.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, k3 vs, pentax k-3, prestige
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tip and trick when used ovf in pentax k3 vs mf lens phuongdm211 Pentax K-3 7 04-28-2015 09:17 PM
My new K3 prestige edition...weird behavior within 2 days of owning dronek75 Pentax K-3 8 02-27-2015 03:23 AM
FA 31 vs new K3 Squirrel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 30 12-05-2014 07:50 PM
New K3 used DA*16-50 does not work tyrepeddler Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 03-20-2014 06:52 PM
Used vs New K-5II Richjac Pentax K-5 3 01-14-2014 06:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top