Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 wow impressions & suggestions

I just received my new K3 (also have K10D) on Friday 11/13 (ummmmmmm Friday the 13th); well that old superstitution has always worked in my favor. The camera has a plethora of new and improved capabilities and over the weekend I tried to digest what the camera can do. I am starting to get my arms around its capabilities but time, practice and patience will eventually pay dividends. The picture quality is wonderful. I tried some shots with my 43mm 1.9 and 77mm 1.8 prime lenses and the results are beautiful. The shutter speed, motion picture, 24 mp sensor, etc etc make this camera truly competitive with most of what Canon and Nikon are offering. I am looking forward to do some shooting with "Bigma" my Sigma 50-500 and catch some of the activity with the hummingbirds that visit my backyard. I am truly impressed with the camera and the marriage of Pentax and Ricoh seems to be a postive one. What I would be interested in getting feedback on are some of the settings that others have found that enhance the quality of their shoots under various conditions. If you have a suggested change from the default I would be interested in learning how it improves and under what circumstances (what, where, when and why) that it works best to get optimum results. In Scottsdale, AZ we have a location called Butterfly Wonderland where butterflies from around the world are brought in and they are flying around the enclosed forest like environment and one can get up close and personal to capture some excellent shots. I look forward to going their soon and giving the K3 a workout. Take care and I look forward to hearing what suggestions come from this forum.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/306039-k3-questions.html#ixzz3rm33zETF

Last edited by MRCDH; 11-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.
11-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is just a copy paste from the K3 questions thread...

Anyway the K-3 is an amazing camera, enjoy it!
11-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
This is just a copy paste from the K3 questions thread...

Anyway the K-3 is an amazing camera, enjoy it!
You are correct; I felt it deserved more focus as its own posting rather than a response to someone else's posting because I want to get the most feedback as possible relative to the suggestions. Thanks for your comment.
11-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was about to say that just attach your K-3 to some Limiteds, but you have figured that already out. I presume that you havu looked throug K-3 samples thread already if not, you might do that from last page and backwards from there. great thing for me is actually just using it. I tend to shoot RAW. Great lenses really helps with quality. And you can use it even dark enviroments, like really. That alone is WoW. For me. Dynamic range is great too. And for action, nice FPS is great. Make sure you have AF Set for that thou.

Enjoy, I do enjoy mine. Great for traveling also..

11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See the Recommended Settings section of the PF review.
11-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
See the Recommended Settings section of the PF review.
Paul, thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for ("seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened unto you") and why I made the posting. Thank you again!!

---------- Post added 11-17-15 at 12:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I was about to say that just attach your K-3 to some Limiteds, but you have figured that already out. I presume that you havu looked throug K-3 samples thread already if not, you might do that from last page and backwards from there. great thing for me is actually just using it. I tend to shoot RAW. Great lenses really helps with quality. And you can use it even dark enviroments, like really. That alone is WoW. For me. Dynamic range is great too. And for action, nice FPS is great. Make sure you have AF Set for that thou.

Enjoy, I do enjoy mine. Great for traveling also..
repaap, thanks for your input; I was amazed by testing shooting in low light situations with the 43mm (it was like I was using a flash...amazing) I can tell this camera is going to offer one pleasant surprise after another!!
11-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also a post on AF settings I find interesting here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/251413-post-your-k3-af-settings-here.html

Just ordered the K-3 and am also very interested in hummingbirds in the back yard.

11-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by missile Quote
Also a post on AF settings I find interesting here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/251413-post-your-k3-af-settings-here.html

Just ordered the K-3 and am also very interested in hummingbirds in the back yard.
Missile, you mention hummingbirds; I find they are wonderful and interesting to shoot and study (I have to laugh at their unique personalities and territorial instincts). I assume you must be in the South or Southwestern United States if you get a good selection of hummingbirds to view. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by MRCDH; 11-17-2015 at 01:36 PM.
11-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For fun, set it to high shutter frame rate and let'er rip with some action shots. It takes some time to get the focusing working (mostly user training) but it is a real blast to see it crank out some many photos in a second. You'll need to do bursts of photo to keep up with the memory buffer, this is pretty standard.
11-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
For fun, set it to high shutter frame rate and let'er rip with some action shots. It takes some time to get the focusing working (mostly user training) but it is a real blast to see it crank out some many photos in a second. You'll need to do bursts of photo to keep up with the memory buffer, this is pretty standard.
I love the FPS of the K3. It feels like it just goes and goes. I attached an old manual focus 50mm prime and I swear it shot 4 fps for like a 40 secs. It might have been only 30 but it felt like forever. I love it when it shoots 8 fps. Super bomb!
I used the composite mode to do some star trails and that worked awesome! Tell it how many photos to composite and click away. Here's the shot. It was my first time doing it and after doing other milky way shots it was the last thing I did before heading home so I only shot this one composite. Next time I'm doing a night shoot I want to dedicate it to just composites to get better acquainted with the mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I am looking forward to using the fast fps on various types of action situations. I acidentially had it set on multiple frames shooting when I really only wanted a single frame and was amazed at the rapid fire response. The differences between the K3 and the K10D should really keep me on my toes till I get used to it.

---------- Post added 11-17-15 at 04:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JedlyMT Quote
I love the FPS of the K3. It feels like it just goes and goes. I attached an old manual focus 50mm prime and I swear it shot 4 fps for like a 40 secs. It might have been only 30 but it felt like forever. I love it when it shoots 8 fps. Super bomb!
I used the composite mode to do some star trails and that worked awesome! Tell it how many photos to composite and click away. Here's the shot. It was my first time doing it and after doing other milky way shots it was the last thing I did before heading home so I only shot this one composite. Next time I'm doing a night shoot I want to dedicate it to just composites to get better acquainted with the mode.
Jed, that is a really interesting photo effect, I look forward to giving that a try. Thanks for the idea!!
11-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Expect a little bit of a learning curve to get results you're looking for with continuous shooting, it's a pretty awesome feature. If you have friends with dogs, going to a dog park is a great way to get practice.
11-17-2015, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have not already, turn off the Anti-Alias filter, I've turned mine off and never looked back,
It's made all my lenses sharper. Never seen any moire from not using it.

Attached is from our glorious summer, now long gone,
K3, Bigma (original version) & AF360flash,
Just messing around on our deck, and the nearby feeder
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-17-2015, 10:04 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K3, that is a wonderful shot; I have one that I captured with my K10D using Bigma. That lens really knows how to reach out and capture the moment. I haven't had an opportunity to capture an action shot with my K3 yet; however, I anticipate that the results will be even better than the K10D. Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRCDH; 11-17-2015 at 10:10 PM.
11-18-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by missile Quote

Missile, you mentioned you were interested in photographing hummingbirds; I posted one I took awhile ago with my K10D and Sigma 50-500 zoom "Bigma" which is near the bottom of the thread.