Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 w/ Capture One Pro - Purple Edge

Does anyone here use C1 w/ a K-3?

My photos are showing a purple edge on the right (landscape), but the same raw files are not showing any problems when processed in Aperture or Photoshop.

Could C1 be catching a sensor issue with my camera?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

It's the edge of the film, just slide it over in the negative carrier a little....
11-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Every RAW image has a 'border' that is normally cropped out, depending on the aspect ratio the camera shoots in. Since the issue doesn't appear in Aperture or Photoshop, this looks like an issue about how your C1 crops off the RAW edges (or not) of PEFs or DNG's, rather than anything hardware.
11-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seanjmc Quote
It's the edge of the film, just slide it over in the negative carrier a little....
Haha!

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Every RAW image has a 'border' that is normally cropped out, depending on the aspect ratio the camera shoots in. Since the issue doesn't appear in Aperture or Photoshop, this looks like an issue about how your C1 crops off the RAW edges (or not) of PEFs or DNG's, rather than anything hardware.
Thanks for the explanation.

I just checked and C1 only has this issue with .DNG files, not .PEF.

11-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I get the same line. C1 is very good at ignoring image resolution settings and it will display everything that is recorded in the RAW file. For example, when I shoot with my Q7 and an 03 fisheye I can see the black corners caused by the lens not being able to cover the entire 1/1.7" sensor. I consider this more of a blessing than a curse. Better to have too much information than too little.

Oh, and I also shoot in DNG.
11-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You know, I notice it every now and again, but not sure if it's always there. It reminds me of the shift you sometimes get when realigning for CA in other programs (typically Picture Windows Pro in my case).

I'd say, don't worry - be happy (once you crop out the edge). Those of us who have transitioned from Lightroom to C1 for most of our work are aware of the considerable advantages we're reaping.
11-19-2015, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drolph Quote
I just checked and C1 only has this issue with .DNG files, not .PEF.
So much for the "DNG" is universal talk. The quality of the various tool implementations varies and apparently C1 adds a decorative border for your entertainment pleasure.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-19-2015 at 10:41 AM.
11-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

In the release notes for the latest level (8.3.4) of Capture One, the Supported Cameras section for Pentax lists:
K-3 (PEF only)
This is something I've never understood, especially since the K-3 II and most other Pentax cameras are listed as supported without the qualification "(PEF only)".
Perhaps the purple edge is a symptom of whatever the problem is with K-3 DNGs in C1.
Anyone have any insights on this restriction?

11-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Any way to go from DNG to PEF?
11-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sherman Quote
In the release notes for the latest level (8.3.4) of Capture One, the Supported Cameras section for Pentax lists:
K-3 (PEF only)
This is something I've never understood, especially since the K-3 II and most other Pentax cameras are listed as supported without the qualification "(PEF only)".
Perhaps the purple edge is a symptom of whatever the problem is with K-3 DNGs in C1.
Anyone have any insights on this restriction?
Not according to Phase One Knowledge Article 2063, indicating RAW file formats supported:
Pentax: K-01, MX-1, K-3II, K-3, K-5 IIs, K-5 II, K-5, K50, K-30, K-r, K20D, K10D, K7, KX, K200D, K110D, K100DSuper, K100D, K2000/K-m, *istDL2, *istDL, *istD, *istDS2, *istDS, Q10, Q7 (FW1.0.0 Only), Q (PEFOnly)

I haven't had any notable problems with DNG conversion on the K-3.
12-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

Capture One support for K-3 DNG

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Not according to Phase One Knowledge Article 2063, indicating RAW file formats supported:
Pentax: K-01, MX-1, K-3II, K-3, K-5 IIs, K-5 II, K-5, K50, K-30, K-r, K20D, K10D, K7, KX, K200D, K110D, K100DSuper, K100D, K2000/K-m, *istDL2, *istDL, *istD, *istDS2, *istDS, Q10, Q7 (FW1.0.0 Only), Q (PEFOnly)
There is a conflict between the Capture One release notes and the Knowledge Base article 2063. The release notes for both Capture One 8.3.4 and the new 9.0 state that the file support for the K-3 is PEF only, but article 2063 does not list this restriction.

I sent a request for clarification to Capture One Support, and here is the verbatim reply:
Hi

We still restict compatiblity as fully with PEF file but the DNG should be DNG 1.4 compatible which is supported.

But DNG files are still just that DNG, and not a PEF which is camera specific.

PEF = K3 specific

DNG = a generic DNG file.

Kind Regards

Phase One Support
I'm not quite sure how to interpret this!
12-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drolph Quote
SNIP...I just checked and C1 only has this issue with .DNG files, not .PEF.
Way back when I tested Google Picasa, PEF files had a band of purple static at the edge while DNG files cropped it out. I've stuck with DNG through different cameras and software (Bibble, AfterShot, LR and Photoshop) and never noticed the problem again. But I don't use C1.
12-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sherman Quote
There is a conflict between the Capture One release notes and the Knowledge Base article 2063. The release notes for both Capture One 8.3.4 and the new 9.0 state that the file support for the K-3 is PEF only, but article 2063 does not list this restriction.

I sent a request for clarification to Capture One Support, and here is the verbatim reply:
Hi

We still restict compatiblity as fully with PEF file but the DNG should be DNG 1.4 compatible which is supported.

But DNG files are still just that DNG, and not a PEF which is camera specific.

PEF = K3 specific

DNG = a generic DNG file.

Kind Regards

Phase One Support
I'm not quite sure how to interpret this!
Well, I wouldn't try to understand what is, basically, nonsense. Quite a bit of back-and-forth has taken place with Pentaxians regarding particular models (DNG only especially) that were not originally supported. The DNG created by Pentax is not the least bit generic - and the two profiles supported for the K3 work in the same way whether the extension is PEF or DNG. As they say, a raw from the same camera is just that. A raw is a raw is a raw.
12-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Possibly relevant is this thread from the other forum of several years ago:

Re: Correction to PEF, and comment on Magenta Edges technique...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Read all the answers from GordonBGood. He was the Pentax wizard of the time and mentions the row of pixels that was used by Pentax (and other manufacturers) to store some raw data parameters. specifically black level offsets in Pentax's case. How this may have been related to the "magenta line" problem of the K20D (for which Gordon wrote a correcting program) is also mentioned. Not sure if this is at all related to the current magenta line in Capture One output but note the bit where DNG strips out this border row and (at one time?) was reporting a smaller file size than a PEF format file of the same image. I often wonder what happened to Gordon.