Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 LCD Screen Protector

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently receive my K3 and I want to protect the LCD screens on the back (3.2 inches) and the top from damage and marring. Using the logic, an ounce of prevention is equal to a pound of cure I would like some feedback from personal experience as to what is the best product to address this. One product, which sounded promising (ACMAXX LCD Armor) was advertised on Amazon as compatible with the K3. I ordered the product and it appears, after measuring it, to be slightly short by about 1cm on both the length and width (camera is 72mm x 51mm and the protector is 71mm x 50mm which does not give adequate attachment to the outside edges). This is unfortunate because the protective material is of sound quality and would be attractive protection. I ordered this before I joined the Forum and did not see the write-up which pointed out this problem. The reviewer got it to product to work but was generally not satisfied with the result, so I considering returning the product.
Another product was GGS LCD Screen Protector, which the review liked but I could not determine whether it was for a K3 camera or another model. The last was Hoodman Super Hoodskins, which appears to be a plastic film that fits over the LCD screen and the reviewer appeared to be satisfied, but it looked somewhat cheat to my eye.
I would be interested if anyone has had experience with any of the above on their K3 or if they have come across other products. One my K10D I am using a Delkin eFilm cover, which I love because it gives solid protection to the screen and also acts as a sun shade for reviewing the screen. Thank you in advance for your suggestions on this matter.

11-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use something like this and everything OK.
11-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRCDH Quote
ACMAXX LCD Armor
I've got these on my K10D, and also on my new K3. They are a perfect fit, look very nice. They are a hard plastic, not a film. I highly recommend ACMAXX! It's a nice bonus, that the set includes one protector for the top LCD also!
11-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've got these on my K10D, and also on my new K3. They are a perfect fit, look very nice. They are a hard plastic, not a film. I highly recommend ACMAXX! It's a nice bonus, that the set includes one protector for the top LCD also!
CSA, thank you for your response; you indicate that you are using the ACMAXX on your K3; when I did a measurement it was 1mm off on the length and 1mm off in the width; thus, it would appear to not provide a stable firm hold to the perimeter around the LCD screen. Does your protective screen rest on all 4 sides of the camera around the LCD screen or does part of the protective screen rest on LCD screen?
I did not want to take the plastic sheet off the protective screen and find I have something that will not be secure and have a problem returning the item. Admittedly the fit is close, but almost is not very reassuring. Any additional comments you have would be appreciated.

11-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Believe it or not the local dollar store sells protectors for I-Pads & Tablets. You can just the film to size and have plenty left over for other cameras. I'm thinking that these protectors are just to protect against scratches, and this would do the job.
11-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
Believe it or not the local dollar store sells protectors for I-Pads & Tablets. You can just the film to size and have plenty left over for other cameras. I'm thinking that these protectors are just to protect against scratches, and this would do the job.
fstop, thanks for your reply; I will take a look at my local Dollar Store and see what my impression is. My concern with a film is that it might have a tendency to have bubbles between the film and the LCD screen, but it is worth checking out.
11-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CSA, thank you for your response; you indicate that you are using the ACMAXX on your K3; when I did a measurement it was 1mm off on the length and 1mm off in the width; thus, it would appear to not provide a stable firm hold to the perimeter around the LCD screen. Does your protective screen rest on all 4 sides of the camera around the LCD screen or does part of the protective screen rest on LCD screen?
I did not want to take the plastic sheet off the protective screen and find I have something that will not be secure and have a problem returning the item. Admittedly the fit is close, but almost is not very reassuring. Any additional comments you have would be appreciated.
Maybe this model?
http://www.amazon.com/ACMAXX-Screen-PROTECTOR-Pentax-Camera/dp/B015DKQLKY/re...maxx+k3+pentax

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 05:01 PM ----------

I'm curious about how much impact using one of the protectors has on the clarity of the view when you want to zoom in and look at detail.

11-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagala Quote
I use something like this and everything OK.
Sagala, thanks for the input, I will check this out on Amazon or other vendors.

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Maybe this model?
http://www.amazon.com/ACMAXX-Screen-PROTECTOR-Pentax-Camera/dp/B015DKQLKY/re...maxx+k3+pentax

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 05:01 PM ----------

I'm curious about how much impact using one of the protectors has on the clarity of the view when you want to zoom in and look at detail.
UncleVanya, the one you are offering for consideration is the one I purchased and questioning at the moment. With the Delkin eFilm LCD protector it does not bother when you want to zoom in; I really wish they made this protector in the 3.2 inch size that would fit the K3. Thanks for your input.
11-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UncleVanya, the one you are offering for consideration is the one I purchased and questioning at the moment. With the Delkin eFilm LCD protector it does not bother when you want to zoom in; I really wish they made this protector in the 3.2 inch size that would fit the K3. Thanks for your input.
Given that it is specifically for the K3/K3II and not any other camera - I think the 3.0 measurement is just wrong. The only review is from someone with a K3II and they say it fit perfectly.
11-18-2015, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #10

Just dont put the camera down in the sand or asphalt paved ground and twist it around..!

I've been in some pretty dusty, dirty places with my various cameras over many years. Funny how with just a "little" care, I have not had any problem with marring IN ANY WAY, of the screens OR lenses on my cameras.

Unless you take pictures in sand storms, screen protectors, a waste of money.

Mike
11-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fit is extremely close! I just butted it up on one side, & then adhered it. It definitely provides a stable firm hold. I don't think you'll find a closer fit. I'd take a photo of it, but I'd have to charge up my K10D battery.

BTW, I have absolutely no affiliation with ACMAXX, I simply love their product!
11-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The fit is extremely close! I just butted it up on one side, & then adhered it. It definitely provides a stable firm hold. I don't think you'll find a closer fit. I'd take a photo of it, but I'd have to charge up my K10D battery.

BTW, I have absolutely no affiliation with ACMAXX, I simply love their product!
csa, thanks again for the feedback; I will take a closer look and see if I can make it work. I agree with you that the product appears sound in its construction; I just do not want any gaps or marginal attachment to defeat the purpose after being on the camera for a short time. Again thanks for getting back to me.
11-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
While not a hard glass screen protector, I'm using this : Amazon.com : Vikuiti ADQC27 Screen Protector for Pentax K3, K-3, 100% fits, easy mountable, crystal clear, anti-reflective, scratch-resistant : Digital Camera Screen Protectors : Camera & Photo

The product is excellent, it is a film that is made by 3M. I have had it on my K3 for a few months and I have to look at the screen a few times just to make sure it's still on. Perfect fit, easy installation and no bubbles. The package comes with 2 protectos, one for the top screen and one for the rear screen,

BTW, the product is made in Germany.
11-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just do not want any gaps or marginal attachment to defeat the purpose after being on the camera for a short time.
I've used mine for about a month now. It shows no sign of coming loose. I've had it on my K10D for over a year, with absolutely no problems.

Just take your time to line them up, before adhering them.
11-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeV Quote
Just dont put the camera down in the sand or asphalt paved ground and twist it around..!

I've been in some pretty dusty, dirty places with my various cameras over many years. Funny how with just a "little" care, I have not had any problem with marring IN ANY WAY, of the screens OR lenses on my cameras.

Unless you take pictures in sand storms, screen protectors, a waste of money.

Mike
MikeV, thanks for the feedback; I am generally very careful with my equipment, but one lapse in attention could cause a problem (ie camera on strap and the screen rubbing against some sharp object on ones clothing (buttons, belt buckle, etc). I just like the peace of mind that the screen has protection for it has served me well on my other cameras. Thanks for your suggestion.

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 04:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
While not a hard glass screen protector, I'm using this : Amazon.com : Vikuiti ADQC27 Screen Protector for Pentax K3, K-3, 100% fits, easy mountable, crystal clear, anti-reflective, scratch-resistant : Digital Camera Screen Protectors : Camera & Photo

The product is excellent, it is a film that is made by 3M. I have had it on my K3 for a few months and I have to look at the screen a few times just to make sure it's still on. Perfect fit, easy installation and no bubbles. The package comes with 2 protectos, one for the top screen and one for the rear screen,

BTW, the product is made in Germany.
MasMax, I read the description on Amazon and it sounds very interesting. How long have you had it on your K3 and how is it holding up (ends secure etc). Thanks again for the suggestion.