Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have a wooden surveyor's tripod I obtained for a song decades back. Weighs far more than anything I've ever mounted on it (two heaviest loads: Pentax 1000mm f11 reflex with LX and winder; and Nikon 500 f4 with 2X extender with a Nikon FA and winder). I don't really think the tripod's massiveness increased stability greatly compared to my largest tripod (a Bogen/Manfrotto) which I sometimes used with a second small tripod below the camera body. Very awkward to set up and frame, much less reframe, but the two tripod set up was extremely steady.
How about renting a good surveyors tripod? But does it come with 3/8" mounting screw? I think surveyor tripods use a 5/8" screw, so an adapter would be needed and that adds more chance for vibrations. Renting something beforehand and testing it (to see if it really does the job required) before the trip might be a good idea too.

Another idea is a telescope pier but again, the mounting screw on top is lacking with modifications needed. But you could fill the pier with sand and leave the sand behind when you are done.

I have always been curious how stable a block of marble would be with a 1/4" screw built into the top. But the smallest ones are about 100 lbs.

11-20-2015, 03:18 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
How about renting a good surveyors tripod? But does it come with 3/8" mounting screw? I think surveyor tripods use a 5/8" screw, so an adapter would be needed and that adds more chance for vibrations. Renting something beforehand and testing it (to see if it really does the job required) before the trip might be a good idea too.

Another idea is a telescope pier but again, the mounting screw on top is lacking with modifications needed. But you could fill the pier with sand and leave the sand behind when you are done.

I have always been curious how stable a block of marble would be with a 1/4" screw built into the top. But the smallest ones are about 100 lbs.

but how does one compensate for earthquakes? ricoh should make a fw update that enables pixel shift to be used in at least 9.5 magnitude earthquake.
11-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote

When Leica briefly offered an 800mm lens for the Leicaflex, made only on special order, the joke was each came with a complementary VW for transport, presumably with a 3/8 screw protruding from the roof for mounting an appropriate tripod head.

I think you're correct about the 5/8 screw on surveyor's tripods. I had to do some modification to attach a tripod head to mine. BTW: it was used to mount a Wild surveying tool. I paid $25 for both.
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I use Vanguard alta pro 263at with Vanguard ph-55 head. I made several very successfull pixel shifted images which were aditionally focus stacked. If you are expecting winds that could compromise the tripods stability and create vibrations I think that you won't get sharp images without pixel shift, let alone with it. Then again, if it will be so windy and you plan on shooting landscapes, then the trees and other objects in the sceene will probably be going wild and create artifacts that are known for pixel shift.
tripods you mentioned are not bad tripods (they are expensive though), im just saying that wind + pixel shift do not go well at all no mater how stable tripod you use, especially if you expect winds that tend to move your tripod.
That makes sense!

---------- Post added 11-23-15 at 01:03 PM ----------

Hi folks

Thank you for all your constructive advices. I think I have to give up the idea of using pixel shift at the current stage. As far as I know the current Pentax's pixel shift system doesn't work well. It takes 2-3 seconds rather than the desired, say 1/100s (4 x 1/400s) for a typical shoot. Pentax said in an interview that the coming full frame will have a more powerful pixel shift system onboard. I can wait for another half a year.

I won't take out the surveying tripod for a photograph. It is too heavy!

So what I am going to do is

1) watch over the American Black Friday to see if I can import a 1544T or 1545T or 2542T. Otherwise buy one from local stores. The tripod can be used for many years so I wouldn't mind paying more.

2) buy a 16-85 lens for travelling. This lens will still be usefull even if I have a full frame next year .

Thanks again for your input.