Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Is pixel shift really that tricky/difficult

I was reading through this thread about tripods to use with the K-3 II and it seems that some people are having a fair amount of difficulty getting good images using pixel shift. Instead of derailing that thread since it was about tripods mostly, I figured I would start a new one.

So, are most people finding it difficult to get good PS images? I will probably be getting a K-3 II here soon so I cannot speak from my own experiences. For those that are successful, obviously a steady tripod is key but are there other tricks that you are finding? As one person in that other thread mentions, they are struggling taking pictures indoors which really seems like it must be something other than the tripod. Still though, it shouldn't be that difficult, should it?

11-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

No, I don't think it should be That difficult.
As the one who has been "struggling", I won't add any more at the moment, and wait and hear from others on this.

Cheers,
Terry
11-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I was reading through this thread about tripods to use with the K-3 II and it seems that some people are having a fair amount of difficulty getting good images using pixel shift. Instead of derailing that thread since it was about tripods mostly, I figured I would start a new one.

So, are most people finding it difficult to get good PS images? I will probably be getting a K-3 II here soon so I cannot speak from my own experiences. For those that are successful, obviously a steady tripod is key but are there other tricks that you are finding? As one person in that other thread mentions, they are struggling taking pictures indoors which really seems like it must be something other than the tripod. Still though, it shouldn't be that difficult, should it?
A steady setup, perfectly still subject, and self-timer or (preferable) remote should do the trick indoors. Very long shutter speeds will of course increase the risk of blur.

Another tip: stand perfectly still during the exposure; don't move around as it could shake the whole setup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera must be 100% steady while the four individual images making up the pixel shift image are being shot and the subject must be perfectly still. No tripod, no luck.

A part of the reason is that there is quite a delay between the four exposures. So even if you shoot at, say 1/2000s, the four images will stretch over perhaps as much as half a second in time and you stand no chance of keeping the camera steady for that long.

Pixel shift won't get truly useful until the four exposures can be made with no break in between.

As of now pixel shift is great for product photography only. Colors are cleaner and more saturated and edges become razor sharp.

More detail is to be found in our review.

11-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It isn't difficult, per se, to use pixel shift. You hit the shutter button, the camera takes four exposures, and you are done.
The tricky part for me is finding the right application of this function. I was surprised how little camera AND subject motion is required to ruin a shot. I think for still life, architecture and macro applications (not handheld insect macro unless you are working with a frozen or dead bug) it is wonderful.
12-06-2015, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Pixel shift won't get truly useful until the four exposures can be made with no break in between.

As of now pixel shift is great for product photography only. Colors are cleaner and more saturated and edges become razor sharp.

More detail is to be found in our review.

As a photographer who is using the pixel shift function for 90% of my landscape shots, I kinda disagree that it's for "product photography only."

And pixel shift has been extremely useful even with the break in between. Though I do agree it will get more useful as the break gets shorter.

As for landscapes I think now the key is specular highlights. Don't take landscapes that have those and you will be fine. (And most of mine don't.) i.e. there just are not a lot of sharp reflections during magic orange hour. And so pixel shift has been working a treat. At least for me.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE having a camera and LTD lenses that are sometimes as small as a m4/3 system and yet get results that rival Nikon's D810. THAT's punching above your weight class for sure!

If the consensus is forming on Pixel shift in the K3II is that it's limited in use to the point of not being useable, I think I need to make a video... As I find myself using it more and more.