Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Exposure & leveler in viewfinder

Hi.

Another weird phenomenon...
After being a little crushed by the fact that somehow all my exposures seemed to have become too dark since I started using the K-3, while I had been pretty good at it with my K20D, I started wondering if there was so much as an explanation for it.

It turns out there is...
When I turn the electronic leveler in the viewfinder off the exposure given as balanced for a scene might come up as ISO 800, F/8, 2.5sec (yea, it was a dark scene)
if I turn the electronic leveler in the viewfinder on and expose the same place in the very same light conditions, the balanced values are ISO 800, F/8, 1.6sec.

A short check of both files in Lightroom: yes, if the electronic leveler is turned on for the viewfinder the photo gets too dark.

I'll see if I can get better results tomorrow during a new round of photo shootings, but would love to hear if someone else has had the same problem.

Happy photo shootings for all of you!

Lille Ulven

11-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lille Ulven Quote
Hi.

After being a little crushed by the fact that somehow all my exposures seemed to have become too dark since I started using the K-3, while I had been pretty good at it with my K20D, I started wondering if there was so much as an explanation for it.

It turns out there is...
When I turn the electronic leveler in the viewfinder off the exposure given as balanced for a scene might come up as ISO 800, F/8, 2.5sec (yea, it was a dark scene)
if I turn the electronic leveler in the viewfinder on and expose the same place in the very same light conditions, the balanced values are ISO 800, F/8, 1.6sec.

A short check of both files in Lightroom: yes, if the electronic leveler is turned on for the viewfinder the photo gets too dark.

I'll see if I can get better results tomorrow during a new round of photo shootings, but would love to hear if someone else has had the same problem.

Lille Ulven
I feel your pain. Two things you may want to consider: Contact Adam the administrator here, or check out camera reviews on this site. There may well be some (hopefully) easy fix. I hope this helps.

Rgds,

Tonytee
11-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh, my! I am going to have to try this. Do you wish to share your firmware version by any chance?

Steve

(...never use the viewfinder level feature since it obscures the EV scale...)
11-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh, my! I am going to have to try this. Do you wish to share your firmware version by any chance?

Steve

(...never use the viewfinder level feature since it obscures the EV scale...)
Could not reproduce on the K-3 at EV(100) 6: level, full-tilt left, full-tilt right

Firmware v1.11

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2015 at 06:00 PM.
11-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Going to try and reproduce on K-50 Firmware v1.02.

---------- Post added 23-11-15 at 18:03 ----------

Could not reproduce, all same settings (1/8, F5.0, 6400, 18mm) in Auto mode. Reasonably dark place.

I don't use the OVF level as then I loose the OVF exposure meter.

What mode is your camera in?

Last edited by bertwert; 11-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.
11-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if it happens just dial in exposure compensation when you use this feature on your camera.
11-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
stevebrot firmware version is 1.21

Tonytee thanks will check

bertwert full manual - usually, occasionally aperture priority

UncleVanya I am shooting full manual usually, so exposure compensation would have no effect, I would have to make "the calculations" in my head - or at least be certain that it is always +2 that I have to get to get the right exposure.

11-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

full manual
Maybe you just knocked the shutter speed wheel?
As it won't change it if you are in full manual...
11-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi.

It turns out there is...

Lille Ulven
Have you checked if this is repeatable? I ask because differences in light coming through the OVF can cause exposure readings to change. Best to make sure the OVF is covered on long exposures.
11-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It might be a quirk of low light metering; and the OVF covering is an important factor. Best solution if not covering VF is to shoot live view (assuming that you're on a tripod). I've had the leveler on in the VF probably since I got the camera. I run into far more overexposure problems than underexposure.
11-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
bertwert that would be extremely difficult, especially as I remembered the values and could (before I deleted the photos) find it again in the exif-data

IchabodCrane I'll have to do some more testing tomorrow. As for the OVF being covered during exposure: if that had been the case I would have had to be able to see something more than a generally wrong exposure...and apparently covering the OVF with more than my eye during the preparations of the shoot (readings and settings of exposure...) would be extremely difficult if one was not to use Live View to start with (which I don't really like using).

Anyway some more testing has to be done, preferably in better light conditions too (and on a tripod), well I'll get my chance tomorrow
11-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not meaning to beat a dead horse here, but on long exposures it doesn't take much of a change in what you are doing to significantly impact the exposure reading. As you take the exposure you may have moved your head more quickly on one shot, and not so quickly on another. The only certain way to get consistent long exposures is by using live view on the tripod. Once you get used to the notion, you'll soon wonder why you depended on OVF for so long. Live view is a superior focusing aid in low light, especially when using faster lenses.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 11-25-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: word missing