Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #166
Veteran Member

I don't miss the on-board flash with the K-3II. The one on my K-5 had limited use and I had to dial the flash down by a stop to get any kind of reasonable picture. If you need a flash with the K-3II, add a small flash unit such as the AG201FG like I've done. More powerful, and bounce capability which makes for better photos. I still don't use it very much.

The GPS tracker is much more useful, being able to see a Google Earth map of where I've been.

No complaints at all about the K-3II's AF; swift and sure, even with the old SMC 55-300. So I don't pine for a 'K-3III'; still very impressed with the current model.

10-17-2016, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #167
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a credible rumour, so I moved it...
10-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unlike many posters, many of whom don't even own a K-3, my opinion is that the K-3 AF is not that far behind the K-1. Over the last week, I've worked extensively with both, and I don't see a lot of difference. Given choice, I'd take the K-3 with it's superior burst rate and bigger buffer, I'm just lucky I have both.
I've sold my K3 to purchase the K1... but, I made a mistake because the K3 has great AF, great burst rate, and great resolution. So, it came to my mind that I'd buy a K3 again (that would be at a loss), but, I can live with the crop mode of the K1 until Ricoh releases the next model. I'd get a K70 but for the price isn't much lower than K3's, however, the performance is lower.
10-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #169
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by naldopr Quote
Is this true? Just saw it on you tube
Pentax K3 Mark III - YouTube
Doubtful.. 2200 USD price is higher than the K-1 Full frame and over 2x as much as the K-3 II. Half of that stuff is common alongside the K-5/K-5II/K-3/K-3II series and the other points seem, to me, to be someones dreams.

D500 is priced at just under 2000 USD. 7DII is priced at around 1500 USD. So they'd be entering the pro sports crop body price range at the upper end. Does that seem likely to you?

Besides, they misspelled 'professional.' How professional are they?

---------- Post added 10-17-16 at 07:39 PM ----------

Actually, that video was uploaded in December 2015. CES 2016 has long come and gone.

10-18-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

This is what you get when you wake up old threads
10-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #171
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
How would you possibly know that?
1. Ricoh hasn't released a firmware upgrade for the K-3 to support KAF4, although they even the humble K-S1 got one.
2. The K-3ii got a firmware update, but the K-3 didn't. If there is no material difference between them, it must have been a purely commercial decision not to release an update for the K-3. If there is a material difference between them, either the K-3 is missing some hardware that exists in cameras from the K-S1 onwards (ie released after August 2014), or an update requires more firmware development. If the latter, expenditure on such firmware would be dead money for Ricoh.
3. When PF asked the Pentax reps about it at Photokina they refused to answer. Which Adam took to be a pretty clear no: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/323221-petition-...ml#post3781217
The more time passes, the less likely a firmware upgrade for the K-3. It is in Ricoh's commercial interests to encourage K-3 owners to buy a new body, rather than spend money updating the firmware (even assuming it is possible).

Last edited by Des; 10-26-2016 at 03:37 PM.
10-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #172
Site Supporter

...but not in Ricoh's interest to undersale the excellent new HD DA55-300 ED PLM WR RE....

Two remainders :

1- lenses are known to generate better cash revenues than bodies, and this trend is of course even more evident for Pentax
2- new products generate better margins than already "old ones"

One day, when i will have time, i will just analyse the other thread's petition list, and transmit it officialy to Ricoh. Something quite a number of us would have expected from this forum's staff.
10-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Something quite a number of us would have expected from this forum's staff.
Really? You expected that, did you?

10-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #174
Site Supporter

An open question will always have less impact than a documented one, for sure.

If i am a "customer oriented executive", and you tell me that about x.y. people from PF are willing to buy my latest lens, provided i decide to put some more update of their DSLR into business, i might answer you more carefully than if you don't.
Provided x.y. isn't ridiculously so few.
Just a thought.

But it's may be not too late, we'll see that in the forthcomming weeks - or possibly get nothing more, yet another "no", which i reckon is more likely.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-24-2016 at 09:50 PM.
10-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
1. Ricoh hasn't released a firmware upgrade for the K-3 to support KAF4, even though they were released even for the humble K-S1.
2. When PF asked the Pentax reps about it at Photokina they refused to answer. Which Adam took to be a pretty clear no: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/323221-petition-...ml#post3781217
The more time passes, the less likely a firmware upgrade for the K-3. It is in Ricoh's commercial interests to encourage K-3 owners to buy a new body.
Alright, I see. Somehow I thought the original quote I replied to was referring to the K-3 II's successor, but I see I was mistaken.
10-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #176
Site Supporter

There is nothing in the making yet.
10-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #177

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
There is nothing in the making yet.
I am not sure I properly understand your comment kenspo:

- nothing about to be announced very soon
- no successor of k3 ii keeping engineers busy at the moment
10-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
- no successor of k3 ii keeping engineers busy at the moment
That's how the post would be interpreted normally. But I can't really believe that they haven't even started development of this camera over a year after the predecessor came out. Usually plans are drawn up for a successor even before the last model has hit the market. I understand that Ricoh has been pretty busy with the K-1, K-70 and FF lens portfolio, but if they haven't started on the K3 III yet, that would mean it would hardly come out in 2017.
10-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #179
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's how the post would be interpreted normally. But I can't really believe that they haven't even started development of this camera over a year after the predecessor came out. Usually plans are drawn up for a successor even before the last model has hit the market. I understand that Ricoh has been pretty busy with the K-1, K-70 and FF lens portfolio, but if they haven't started on the K3 III yet, that would mean it would hardly come out in 2017.

Completely agreed. And sad here. If Ricoh haven't even started on the K-3 II successor then we're looking at closer to a year to it getting in any of our hands.

Probably also then means no major discounts in the next couple of months, since they'll have no desire to unload old stock..

Then again, the news kenspo got last year about 2016 was a bunch of new lenses to be released this year. And that, so far, has NOT happened either.. with updated news saying next year. I think their timelines are never really in stone and shift with the wind..

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 07:12 PM ----------

Or maybe they feed him misinformation to get everyone to buy.. end of 2016 tons of lenses coming buy the K-1 now. no K-3 II successor anytime soon buy the K-3 II now.. *wears tin foil hat* gasp.
10-26-2016, 01:01 AM   #180
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Then again, the news kenspo got last year about 2016 was a bunch of new lenses to be released this year. And that, so far, has NOT happened either.. with updated news saying next year. I think their timelines are never really in stone and shift with the wind..
If i remember correctly, i said in the end that zooms this year and primes next year? A lot of stuff going on, even a little surprise or two next year

the production line is small enough from before, and they got a little setback with the earthquake and K-1 more popular then expected.

But its not like they aren't busy with stuff