Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Showing focus Point

Is there a way to show where the camera was focused when playing back pictures from a K3 ?

Or in Lightroom? I've seen apps but unfortunately they do not support Pentax.

12-05-2015, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Is there a way to show where the camera was focused when playing back pictures from a K3 ?

Or in Lightroom? I've seen apps but unfortunately they do not support Pentax.
The Pentax desktop software shows you that info (digital camera utility).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have the CD...but my mac doesn't have a player.
12-06-2015, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pick up an external, USB3 CD/DVD player/recorder. They are very cheap and handy in a pinch.

12-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Our church has one.... Do you use this software as part of your work flow? Or just when needing more info on the shot ?
12-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax desktop software shows you that info (digital camera utility).
Hi Adam,

Precisely where is the focus point information found in DCU5. I've checked all the menus and have not found it yet. Am I missing something here?

Larry
12-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
I wish it would shot it in playback on the camera like Nikon does.

12-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Precisely where is the focus point information found in DCU5. I've checked all the menus and have not found it yet. Am I missing something here?
Me too...unable to find that as well.
12-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
I wish it would shot it in playback on the camera like Nikon does.
I am certain it shows in playback. Have seen it on my K-3... Maybe it is depending on which AF-mode used? Must check when I get back home.
12-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Unregistered User

Checked my K-3 and it shows used focus point in playback mode. Tested different scenarios.
12-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Checked my K-3 and it shows used focus point in playback mode. Tested different scenarios.
Where in the menu system of the K-3 do you set this feature up? Is it dependent on the focus system used? Is it shown on screen?

Larry
12-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Unregistered User

When doing playback press Info and choose the second view from the left. To the right it shows in which AF-mode you were and with a red dot which AF-point was selected. I use the latest FW, 1.21

This only work when using the OVF, not LV. ... EDIT: In LV using AUTO- AutoFocus it shows choosen f-point
12-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When doing playback press Info and choose the second view from the left. To the right it shows in which AF-mode you were and with a red dot which AF-point was selected. I use the latest FW, 1.21

This only work when using the OVF, not LV. ... EDIT: In LV using AUTO- AutoFocus it shows choosen f-point
Thanks,

I use FW 1.21 too. I'll have to check that out when I get home from work. Good to know info.

Larry
12-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The K-3 red dot display seems a little crude - I just reviewed 100 images and almost every one was using the centre AF point, apparently, out of all the 27 focus points available. Perhaps the Pentax display is only an approximation, or groups together points that are very close to one another, like the points in the centre.

The Nikon solution is more detailed - it highlights the active focus point(s) as an overlay right on top of the playback image. It's a bigger image too, so you can see if (for example) a focus point was sitting directly on top of the eye of a subject, or not.
12-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-3 red dot display seems a little crude - I just reviewed 100 images and almost every one was using the centre AF point, apparently, out of all the 27 focus points available. Perhaps the Pentax display is only an approximation, or groups together points that are very close to one another, like the points in the centre.

The Nikon solution is more detailed - it highlights the active focus point(s) as an overlay right on top of the playback image. It's a bigger image too, so you can see if (for example) a focus point was sitting directly on top of the eye of a subject, or not.

I like the Nikon solution. What you are seeing in the K-3 is the selected focus point and not the actual point of focus. I was hoping for a playback screen display of the actual focus point.......Oh well. If you manually select the focus point with the directional buttons the playback display will show you the selected point.

EDIT......FWIW EXIFTool GUI will tell you how many and which autofocus points were selected and which were in focus. its too bad that PhotoMe is not still being updated as it would graphically display the focus point on a thumbnail, handy but not the best to see where the actual point of focus was.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 12-07-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: New Information