Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
kentster's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 287
Showing focus Point

Is there a way to show where the camera was focused when playing back pictures from a K3 ?


Or in Lightroom? I've seen apps but unfortunately they do not support Pentax.

12-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,118
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Is there a way to show where the camera was focused when playing back pictures from a K3 ?


Or in Lightroom? I've seen apps but unfortunately they do not support Pentax.
The Pentax desktop software shows you that info (digital camera utility).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
kentster's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 287
Original Poster
I have the CD...but my mac doesn't have a player.
12-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
Pick up an external, USB3 CD/DVD player/recorder. They are very cheap and handy in a pinch.

12-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
kentster's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 287
Original Poster
Our church has one.... Do you use this software as part of your work flow? Or just when needing more info on the shot ?
12-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax desktop software shows you that info (digital camera utility).
Hi Adam,


Precisely where is the focus point information found in DCU5. I've checked all the menus and have not found it yet. Am I missing something here?


Larry
12-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
kentster's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 287
Original Poster
I wish it would shot it in playback on the camera like Nikon does.
12-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
kentster's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 287
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Precisely where is the focus point information found in DCU5. I've checked all the menus and have not found it yet. Am I missing something here?
Me too...unable to find that as well.

12-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
I wish it would shot it in playback on the camera like Nikon does.
I am certain it shows in playback. Have seen it on my K-3... Maybe it is depending on which AF-mode used? Must check when I get back home.
12-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
Checked my K-3 and it shows used focus point in playback mode. Tested different scenarios.
12-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Checked my K-3 and it shows used focus point in playback mode. Tested different scenarios.
Where in the menu system of the K-3 do you set this feature up? Is it dependent on the focus system used? Is it shown on screen?

Larry
12-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
When doing playback press Info and choose the second view from the left. To the right it shows in which AF-mode you were and with a red dot which AF-point was selected. I use the latest FW, 1.21

This only work when using the OVF, not LV. ... EDIT: In LV using AUTO- AutoFocus it shows choosen f-point
12-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When doing playback press Info and choose the second view from the left. To the right it shows in which AF-mode you were and with a red dot which AF-point was selected. I use the latest FW, 1.21

This only work when using the OVF, not LV. ... EDIT: In LV using AUTO- AutoFocus it shows choosen f-point
Thanks,

I use FW 1.21 too. I'll have to check that out when I get home from work. Good to know info.

Larry
12-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,828
The K-3 red dot display seems a little crude - I just reviewed 100 images and almost every one was using the centre AF point, apparently, out of all the 27 focus points available. Perhaps the Pentax display is only an approximation, or groups together points that are very close to one another, like the points in the centre.

The Nikon solution is more detailed - it highlights the active focus point(s) as an overlay right on top of the playback image. It's a bigger image too, so you can see if (for example) a focus point was sitting directly on top of the eye of a subject, or not.
12-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-3 red dot display seems a little crude - I just reviewed 100 images and almost every one was using the centre AF point, apparently, out of all the 27 focus points available. Perhaps the Pentax display is only an approximation, or groups together points that are very close to one another, like the points in the centre.

The Nikon solution is more detailed - it highlights the active focus point(s) as an overlay right on top of the playback image. It's a bigger image too, so you can see if (for example) a focus point was sitting directly on top of the eye of a subject, or not.

I like the Nikon solution. What you are seeing in the K-3 is the selected focus point and not the actual point of focus. I was hoping for a playback screen display of the actual focus point.......Oh well. If you manually select the focus point with the directional buttons the playback display will show you the selected point.


EDIT......FWIW EXIFTool GUI will tell you how many and which autofocus points were selected and which were in focus. its too bad that PhotoMe is not still being updated as it would graphically display the focus point on a thumbnail, handy but not the best to see where the actual point of focus was.


Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 12-07-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: New Information
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing focus point Zapper Pentax K-3 4 11-25-2014 03:16 PM
K5 IIS Focus Points Not Showing Up DavidDwight Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 10-08-2014 02:57 PM
focus point selection Norman Rodewald Visitors' Center 4 04-23-2014 07:18 AM
Pentax 55mm 1.4 Point to Point Focus Speed MBT74 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 10-16-2012 06:35 AM
K100D Super - Focus point locked to center in Manual Focus ? JGabr Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 01-25-2010 09:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top