Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3II Question - Composition Adjustment

Hi folks please indulge me here if these have been asked and answered but my search came up empty. I got the K3II this week (upgrading from K5) and am getting acquainted with the operation and button locations, but am stumped on this one:

Composition Adjust - is there any quicker way to invoke this feature if it is not set to be on all the time? I use it often enough but find it takes me about 11 button presses from Live View to get to the composition adjust screen. I also tried setting it permanently to go to composition adjust whenever live view is turned on but for all the times i will not use it, it requires an OK button press to get on to the next screen. Also, when in latter, the electronic level bar disappears while composition adjust is engaged. This seems like an obvious design mistake since the way I typically use it is to shift the sensor while simultaneously bringing the tilt of the tripod head back toward a neutral position; that is, they operate hand in hand. As long as I am on this topic, once comp adjust is made and I move on to focus and expose my shot, I cannot figure out how to return to composition adjust should I need to tweak my adjustment, unless I exit live view and go back in which seems inconvenient.

can anyone shed some light on these issues? Thanks!

12-06-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Hi folks please indulge me here if these have been asked and answered but my search came up empty. I got the K3II this week (upgrading from K5) and am getting acquainted with the operation and button locations, but am stumped on this one:

Composition Adjust - is there any quicker way to invoke this feature if it is not set to be on all the time? I use it often enough but find it takes me about 11 button presses from Live View to get to the composition adjust screen. I also tried setting it permanently to go to composition adjust whenever live view is turned on but for all the times i will not use it, it requires an OK button press to get on to the next screen. Also, when in latter, the electronic level bar disappears while composition adjust is engaged. This seems like an obvious design mistake since the way I typically use it is to shift the sensor while simultaneously bringing the tilt of the tripod head back toward a neutral position; that is, they operate hand in hand. As long as I am on this topic, once comp adjust is made and I move on to focus and expose my shot, I cannot figure out how to return to composition adjust should I need to tweak my adjustment, unless I exit live view and go back in which seems inconvenient.

can anyone shed some light on these issues? Thanks!
Honestly, I haven't used it, but could you set one of your User modes to include composition adjustment as part of it? I know I have one of my User modes set to do bracketing...
12-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Mike - I use it, but I'd use it much more if there was a way to keep it set for many shots. It's incredibly useful, but boy is setting and keeping it on a pain.
12-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the replies and I was hoping to hear some good news about this. darn!
I am baffled why they did not just include a button on the control panel screen for it, since so many other features are accessed from same, most I will never use. Firmware update, Pentax?

12-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

So I see that there are now three K-3 users on this world experiencing that issue, including me. To few of us, I'm afraid, to convince Pentax to fix it (actually, if so few people use that function, it will rather be all abandoned in the next FW update than fixed).

K-5 and older, as far as I know, can assign composition adjustment to one of the buttons alternative function. Pentax simply forgot about it at some point, I guess.
12-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
So I see that there are now three K-3 users on this world experiencing that issue, including me. To few of us, I'm afraid, to convince Pentax to fix it (actually, if so few people use that function, it will rather be all abandoned in the next FW update than fixed).

K-5 and older, as far as I know, can assign composition adjustment to one of the buttons alternative function. Pentax simply forgot about it at some point, I guess.
just awkward placement. losing it deep in the menus, and then not allowing it to be used simultaneously with the electronic level bar to manage the tilt of the camera.
Right, on the K5, comp adjust could be assigned to the FX button for very quick access.