Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ummm if this is comparison of a FF vs crop, the appropriate comparison is 70-200 L vs 50-135 SDM isnt it? 55-300 isnt even in the same ballpark / category.

12-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Weddings? No sweat. Vello even makes a $15 off camera cord for flash for Pentax now!
Where can I buy this? I want one!
12-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I have had the older SMC 55-300 since 2009 (same year I got the K100D Super, my first DSLR). My experience with it is that it's very sharp in the lower zoom range, still good at about 200mm, but getting worse after. Color and contract is still good, but sharpness (detail) suffers and doesn't really improve when stopping down on the long end. Plus, when I shoot in portrait orientation, it's decidedly softer (though this may be specific to my sample).

The 60-250 is razor sharp everywhere... It's only with the 1.4 TC that I feel I have to stop down for sharpness on the long end.
12-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But at f2 you're stuck at 1/1000s with a leaf shutter, flash or no flash, right?
Yup, I can't argue with that. The maximum shutter speed does indeed drop off with increased aperture size in a leaf shutter.

You will also see a drop off in flash power at that shutter speed as the shutter will be going faster than the flash.

12-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #20
Site Supporter

the MAP went away and Pentax was a player again
Indeed! I was surprised to see the FA 35/2 back at its 2009 price point rather than crowding the FA Limiteds at their end of the scale. At $316 USD, it is a high value lens once again and worthy of its cult-classic status.

Steve
12-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
A bit confused, since it's not like anyone else offers a much higher sync. I think Nikon is 1/250 on their good models. Canon is 1/200.
Agreed. Much is made of the difference between 1/180 and 1/250, but it is what, 1/3 stop?

Steve
12-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
HSS not an option?
HSS significantly degrades flash range, so there is a trade-off.

Steve
12-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I need to do a video on flash...

HSS is a tool used to achieve a certain look, mostly done these days by people who own Fuji X100's which have a leaf shutter and native HSS built in.

If your outside and have tons of light to the point where 1/180th is a problem, you don't need flash but a diffuser or a reflector. (And an assistant. ) Neewer makes a 43inch kit that includes a gold, silver black and translucent reflector/diffuser just for this kind of situation.

there is no wrong or right here, but I can tell you, I am going to be seriously limiting the amount of flash I use from now on at weddings. 3200 ISO and fast prime lenses are the trick for the darker situations and F2.8 and diffusion and reflection with adequate ambient light is the plan. Flash only when necessary.

HSS is for a certain look yes, and if your going for shallow depth of field requiring fast (1/2000 for example) shutter and f2.8-f4 apertures then yes your going to be limited. Sure you could do the same with a diffuser/reflector/scrim. Lighter on the back/body too. Many different ways to solve the same equation, just matters on what one is comfortable with. I'm more of a "commercial style" shooter, so our methods are very different. My style is a lot tricker to pull off in a fast paced wedding environment.

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
HSS not an option?
HSS isn't an option if your using Elinchrome or Profoto flash heads and a Pentax camera unfortunately... Priolite sure, but no North American, let alone Canadian reseller at this time.

12-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
Sorry, you are a far better photographer than me; but there is a significant difference between leaf shutters (ala x100) and HSS. I agree that people often don't give reflectors enough credit, and this something I certainly need to learn.

What difference are you talking about specifically? The end results are pretty similar. Are we trying to do Harold Edgerton stop motion stuff or creative portraiture with flash in sunny 16 sunlight?

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 12:33 PM ----------

But at f2 you're stuck at 1/1000s with a leaf shutter, flash or no flash, right?
Why? I don't understand? I can shoot at any shutter speed I want at f2 (?)

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 12:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
DA* 60-250 2.29 lb (1.04 kg)

L 70-200 IS 1.67 lb (760 g)

36% heavier...

OK, Ouch! It is a 250mm though, no such thing as free lunch.

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
ummm if this is comparison of a FF vs crop, the appropriate comparison is 70-200 L vs 50-135 SDM isnt it? 55-300 isnt even in the same ballpark / category.

It's not a comparison of FF vs Crop if your only using them on a K5IIs, K3 and K3II.

If Pentax had a 70-200mm F4 for FF and you were using it on a K3, then you would have to choose between the 55-300, 70-200, and 60-250. The 50-135 doesn't have the reach of a 70-200 on the crop. (Don't get me wrong, the 50-135 is one of the BIG APPEALS of the crop system. 70-200 FF equivalent without the size and weight)

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Where can I buy this? I want one!

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Don't buy them all, I want more!!

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 12:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
Yup, I can't argue with that. The maximum shutter speed does indeed drop off with increased aperture size in a leaf shutter.

You will also see a drop off in flash power at that shutter speed as the shutter will be going faster than the flash.

Most leaf shutters have always only been good up to 1/500th.

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 12:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
HSS is for a certain look yes, and if your going for shallow depth of field requiring fast (1/2000 for example) shutter and f2.8-f4 apertures then yes your going to be limited. Sure you could do the same with a diffuser/reflector/scrim. Lighter on the back/body too. Many different ways to solve the same equation, just matters on what one is comfortable with. I'm more of a "commercial style" shooter, so our methods are very different. My style is a lot tricker to pull off in a fast paced wedding environment.

HSS isn't an option if your using Elinchrome or Profoto flash heads and a Pentax camera unfortunately... Priolite sure, but no North American, let alone Canadian reseller at this time.

For sure! Weddings are all about EXPEDIENT!!

My whole point is that flash requires thought, and shooting in TTL is like shooting everything in P and Jpeg. As you know...

Last edited by Qwntm; 12-09-2015 at 12:46 PM.
12-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

So Black Friday pricing is always a treat and this year has been really good, but even before Black Friday, the MAP went away and Pentax was a player again. The HD 15mm LTD at $399.95, DA* 16-50 SDM at $699.95 and DA* 50-135 SDM at $795.96 are particularly tasty!

$742.12 from Amazon for a K3II is ridiculous considering it's best in class overall and what they want for anything else.

All that's not just high value, THAT'S CHEAP!! Bwahahahaahahaa...
That's right all you goomba's!! Just keep posting that their pricing is really low, cheap in fact. And watch the price go up! SHHHHH
12-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
DA* 60-250 2.29 lb (1.04 kg)

L 70-200 IS 1.67 lb (760 g)

36% heavier...
There is a considerable difference in focal length. The 60-250 is a 4 x zoom, while the 70-200 is a 3x zoom. Both are good lenses, but it is difficult to compare one to the other when the focal lengths are so different.
12-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #27
Imp
Pentaxian

(Don't get me wrong, the 50-135 is one of the BIG APPEALS of the crop system. 70-200 FF equivalent without the size and weight)
I would think i'd find 135 too short on aps-c, and likely 200 too short for FF... What do you usually use your 50-135 for?

For events, I prefer my 55-300 to my Tamron 17-50, because the tammy isn't a true 50 and its a bit short... and the 55-300 is f/4 all the way to 100mm
12-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Why? I don't understand? I can shoot at any shutter speed I want at f2 (?)

The Fuji X100 has a leaf shutter ...1/1000s is the highest it will go wide open.

You sometimes see people urge Pentax to put leaf shutters in the K-mount line to raise the sync speed, but that would be a disadvantage many wouldn't put up with.
12-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Fuji X100 has a leaf shutter ...1/1000s is the highest it will go wide open.

You sometimes see people urge Pentax to put leaf shutters in the K-mount line to raise the sync speed, but that would be a disadvantage many wouldn't put up with.

Right, OK, I get you.

Yes, the leaf in the X100s is awesome, --- for the X100s. And that's about as far as that can go. It would be ridiculous to have a leaf shutter based DSLR camera system. (Lot's of old Hasselblad lovers are squirming now! )
12-10-2015, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

So since the fall bridal show we did in October, I have been getting serious regarding what cameras I'm going to shoot 25 weddings with in 2016. Add to that a need for 36MP or better resolution for 30x40 and 40x60 prints for art shows which I am also gearing up for and the list of system candidates grows thinner and thinner. As some of you know I actually tried the Canon 6D and 7DMII because of the lenses. (The lenses were great!) But it is not just internet chatter: the sensors are behind in tech. There was a significant reduction in my image quality from the 24mp (and 16mp K5IIs) to the Canon sensors. Shots that should have been easy, were not usable.

So that left Nikon. D810, check. $2800, check. Could I buy a K3II AND 16-50 AND 50-135 for $2250? Yup. Wow. compared to Nikon those prices are almost use them and throw them away...

Landscapes with Pixel Shift are a done deal. I see 90% of what I want to shoot being done with Pixel Shift. The other 10% I will "put up" with "only" 24mp's of non PS resolution and color. LOL.

Weddings? No sweat. Vello even makes a $15 off camera cord for flash for Pentax now!

So videos are coming of my new/old Pentax system and how I'm going to make it work for me going full time pro again in 2016. Heck if people can make the Fuji system work for this stuff, Pentax is a no brainer!

Just thought I'd share.

(P.S. all the work on the new wedding sight was from 10 years ago with Canon 20D's, can't wait to update that stuff!)
Man, do you stop just for a second and think that there are a few people which are following you and value your opinion and go to the store to buy things (lenses, cameras, etc.) because of your "reviews"? I'm not included in that list, just to be clear.

A few months ago you said that for weddings Pentax is not reliable because of bla bla bla... A few weeks ago you said that the main problem for you in order to do weddings with Pentax is fast lenses (or the lack of them). Now you say that shooting weddings with Pentax is a no brainer!?!

Then you said image quality from Canon 6D/7D Mark II is not up to 24mp from Pentax K-3/K-5 IIs. Really? I'm looking forward to see your weddings images taken with K-3 at ISO 3200 and no flash (as you said on this topic). By the way, Jeff Ascough's wife is shooting weddings with Canon 6D. And them (Jeff and his wife) are some of the best wedding photographers from the world. And they are not worried that people will sue them if they lose images due to the single memory card slot from 6D, or because "the lack" of image quality and sharpness in their images (as you experienced with 6D), etc. Just a thought...

And then you said that on a bright day you don't need HSS because with a reflector panel and an assistant you will get pretty much the same thing. But you don't. Even if you use HSS vs flash + ND filters on the lens and there are some differences in final images. Again, just a thought...

And by the way, TTL with HSS for wedding can be very useful if you use your imagination for a second. You can see some pretty impressive images taken with Godox AD360 flashes (or Cheetah or whatever name they have) in the sunlight with HSS. And now the new version of this powerful flash came out and guess what all the stobists wanted in the new version? TTL, because sometime the light is changing rapidly and you don't have time to manually adjust the power of the flash.

I really wish that you will find a system suited for you, because it's seems that neither Canon or Nikon or Pentax is not up to your standards. Canon lacks behind with their sensor, Nikon is too expensive, Pentax is and isn't reliable (depends on you mood), etc.

Or, there is a language barrier between us and I misunderstood all that you were saying. I hope this is the "problem".

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-10-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Closed Thread