Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Save me from what?

If you make your videos public and say that they are silly, then you need to mention at the beginning or at the end that your videos are pamphlets and should be treated as such. You say you are a professional photographer and in consequence there are people interested in your opinion and value your impression on a camera, or on a lens.

Why? Because there are just a few videos/reviews on Youtube for Pentax cameras and every piece of information is important for some people who can't rent or borrow lenses, etc. because it's difficult to find dealers which rent Pentax gear. Your videos on the Pentax sistem is misleading (and according to you, now they are for entartaiment only, or silly - your words, not mine).

You actually said a lot more negative things about Pentax than I ever did. And if I look at all my comments from all my post on this forum I think I didn't said bad things about Pentax. On the contrary, I said what I would like to see from Pentax and which are in my opinion the weak points of the sistem.

And still, Stevebrot thinks I'm a troll. Stevebroat, ask those romanian people you that said you know (if they are Pentaxian and live in Romania there's a chance to know me from our local Pentax facebook page, or if they attended at the workshops I organised at my firm for Pentaxians) if I love Pentax or not. Yes, Romanian people are nice, and we do have personality.

Stevebrot, you can report me to the Admins and if they also consider that I'm a troll, then I think I will be banned. I have enough decency to accept it if they think such a thing about me.

I'm staying on this forum because as I said, I love Pentax and I'm interested in K-S 2 (for travel) for his curent price, for his small body, for his built quality and for his IQ. And I still have my Pentax backpack.

I'm not defending myself and I'm not defending Canon (I often mention other brands just to make sure that no one thinks that my comments are about Canon vs Pentax). I just want that people be more careful on what they say or what they write about Pentax, especially when they say about them self that they are professional photographers.

I do not feel any obligation whatsoever to post any kind of disclaimer on my videos. I would think any reasonable person can clearly see that some yoboh sitting in a dim room pratting on and on and on is probably stating his opinions and not spouting GOSPEL FACTS.

What do you mean "you say you are a professional photographer?" www.sonnetphotography.com I have validated my credentials, do you have any? What do you do with your cameras? Do you have a website? Are you a professional? All fair questions if you can question my professional status, no?

Every bit of information about Pentax is important, it is a small worldwide community. Agreed. But an opinion will always be just that, an opinion. If you want just facts I suggest www.pentax.com

I don't think your a troll. Though the fact that you switched to Canon is disappointing.

As a matter of fact, your comments hit a nerve and made me do some self introspection. The result is a 40 minute video on what I said, and why I said the things I did, and how I may have been wrong, or at least had to start working on changing the way I feel about Pentax reliability. If I take your comments as constructive criticism, there is something to be learned. A teachable moment. Cringe.

I'd link to the video, but that would be shameless self promotion. Check it out if you have 40 minutes of your life to squander. LOL!

---------- Post added 12-12-15 at 09:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Glad to hear (see?) you say that You are not alone. The DigitalRev TV guys do much the same thing only with more slap-stick. What I do is take note of what reviewers and commentators say, check it out for myself, and determine whether the noted quirks in the gear affect my ability to shoot my usual subjects.

If you left Pentax, why are you still hanging around the Pentax sections of this forum. There is an active non-Pentax area where people complain about and laud their non-Pentax cameras. We are pretty nice here, but every persistent troll I have ever seen on this site has eventually been banned...usually after a thorough mobbing by crows, ravens, and rooks.

Nah...I know a lot of very fine Romanian people and none are particularly confrontative.

Steve

I watch a lot of digital rev. I aspire to be that good.... Maybe if I actually had a steady paycheck at a firm with a crew. Livin' the dream!

I can accept criticism from a Pentax user, about me criticizing Pentax.

It gets weird coming from someone who switched to Canon...

On a Pentax forum...

In a thread I started praising Pentax...

I'm starting to get confused. Why did he even bother?

---------- Post added 12-12-15 at 09:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But there are worse things than ending up with a K3 and a DA *16-50/50-135...

Like ending up with a SONY! YUK!!!

12-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I do not feel any obligation whatsoever to post any kind of disclaimer on my videos. I would think any reasonable person can clearly see that some yoboh sitting in a dim room pratting on and on and on is probably stating his opinions and not spouting GOSPEL FACTS.

What do you mean "you say you are a professional photographer?" www.sonnetphotography.com I have validated my credentials, do you have any? What do you do with your cameras? Do you have a website? Are you a professional? All fair questions if you can question my professional status, no?

Every bit of information about Pentax is important, it is a small worldwide community. Agreed. But an opinion will always be just that, an opinion. If you want just facts I suggest www.pentax.com
I'm not making money from photography (I have a pretty good job, financially and professionally speaking). And I do have a website http://danr.ro/ All photos were taken with Pentax (K-5 II or K-3 II, except the last 2 post from my blog). I will update the photos from my site next week, because there are a few from quite a long time ago. And if I want to brag a little, one of my photos I've done for an online store will be published in a fashion magazine next month. You are talking with an enthusiastic photographer, not with a beginner one.

That's why I'm here, because more than 70% informations from this forum are usable.

I don't think your a troll. Though the fact that you switched to Canon is disappointing.

As a matter of fact, your comments hit a nerve and made me do some self introspection. The result is a 40 minute video on what I said, and why I said the things I did, and how I may have been wrong, or at least had to start working on changing the way I feel about Pentax reliability. If I take your comments as constructive criticism, there is something to be learned. A teachable moment. Cringe.

I'd link to the video, but that would be shameless self promotion. Check it out if you have 40 minutes of your life to squander. LOL!

---------- Post added 12-12-15 at 09:05 PM ----------

I watch a lot of digital rev. I aspire to be that good.... Maybe if I actually had a steady paycheck at a firm with a crew. Livin' the dream!

I can accept criticism from a Pentax user, about me criticizing Pentax.

It gets weird coming from someone who switched to Canon...

On a Pentax forum...

In a thread I started praising Pentax...

I'm starting to get confused. Why did he even bother?

---------- Post added 12-12-15 at 09:07 PM ----------

Like ending up with a SONY! YUK!!!
My comments were always constructive criticism, but not being able to talk face to face all of our comments may be interpreted as if we fight each other. I bothered because there were a few beginners (from our local Facebook page) who doesn't want to invest anymore in Pentax system because they saw your video (called Leaving Pentax...) and told me something like "if professional photographers leave Pentax because it's not reliable for professional work, then why should us spend money on Pentax lenses and accessories?".

Beginners are so easy to mislead because they don't know many information on ISO, aperture, etc. but they want to learn and want to invest in a good camera (and Pentax has good cameras). And they search for information done by professional photographers on google, on youtube. That is why I said you should be more careful on what you say or what you write.

Take a look at the comments from your last video, the one in which you mention my name (you're excused by the way for spelling out wrong) and see for yourself that I'm right. There is a person called David Weber who says that he purchased many Pentax bodies and lenses based upon your recommendation. He will be very excited to now that your videos are silly or only for entertainment.

Even if Digital Rev seems to take everything as a joke, they provide reliable information.

For me it's even disappointing that you even consider in leaving Pentax for Canon.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-13-2015 at 02:43 AM.
12-13-2015, 04:06 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not making money from photography (I have a pretty good job, financially and professionally speaking). And I do have a website Dan Ren?ea | A professional photographer takes pictures under a contract pressure, but from me no one would expect great and consistent results. All photos were taken with Pentax (K-5 II or K-3 II, except the last 2 post from my blog). I will update the photos from my site next week, because there are a few from quite a long time ago. And if I want to brag a little, one of my photos I've done for an online store will be published in a fashion magazine next month. You are talking with an enthusiastic photographer, not with a beginner one.

That's why I'm here, because more than 70% informations from this forum are usable.

My comments were always constructive criticism, but not being able to talk face to face all of our comments may be interpreted as if we fight each other. I bothered because there were a few beginners (from our local Facebook page) who doesn't want to invest anymore in Pentax system because they saw your video (called Leaving Pentax...) and told me something like "if professional photographers leave Pentax because it's not reliable for professional work, then why should us spend money on Pentax lenses and accessories?".

Beginners are so easy to mislead because they don't know many information on ISO, aperture, etc. but they want to learn and want to invest in a good camera (and Pentax has good cameras). And they search for information done by professional photographers on google, on youtube. That is why I said you should be more careful on what you say or what you write.

Take a look at the comments from your last video, the one in which you mention my name (you're excused by the way for spelling out wrong) and see for yourself that I'm right. There is a person called David Weber who says that he purchased many Pentax bodies and lenses based upon your recommendation. He will be very excited to now that your videos are silly or only for entertainment.

Even if Digital Rev seems to take everything as a joke, they provide reliable information.

For me it's even disappointing that you even consider in leaving Pentax for Canon.
There aren't any bad digital cameras out there now.

If someone purchased a Pentax camera on Ed's advice, they will be happy. That isn't to say that they wouldn't be just as happy with a Canon 70D or a Nikon D7200, but I don't think there is anything particularly negative about seeing people buy Pentax cameras.

I don't put videos on the internet, but I did give advice to both my brother and dad on purchasing cameras and they both are shooting Pentax right now (my brother a K5 II and my dad a K30). I have also given them advice on lenses to purchase. They are both satisfied. Did they want full frame? No, they didn't. Both had a total initial purchase price of 700 dollars including the 18-135 lens and weren't interested in spending over a thousand dollars on a camera. And I doubt they will move up down the road. They are just satisfied with APS-C.

When people ask my advice, I tell them that my knowledge base is strongest with regard to Pentax cameras and they should take it with a grain of salt. Many still go ahead and purchase Pentax gear on my recommendation. As I said before, I don't feel bad about that. They are satisfied and have equipment that they can grow into and that's the most important feature.
12-13-2015, 04:10 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Someone's uncle once said: with great power comes great responsibility. So if you have a Youtube channel pompously titled "Photouniverse", promote yourself as a professional photographer and you have gathered quite a few views, you have a responsibility for the content you're providing.

So, please, Edward, be a bit more careful. Pentax cameras aren't as dangerous as you're portraying them, their mirrors don't fly off hurting people and some of them might even work for pro usage (not that I ever tried) - instead of getting results so bad you could be sued for.
Because your viewers are taking your claims seriously.

P.S. We'll handle Dan... he'll be back, one day

12-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Hey, I was reading all this stuff this morning with a glass of wine, trying to understand who's fighting who and what is everybody trying to say... guess I need some coffee?

Good thing I'm not shooting weddings
12-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #51
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For whoever isn't subbed to Ed... if there's anyone like that here... here's the vid:

Whoo! Hurricane Ridge!! I went there!

Last edited by Imp; 12-13-2015 at 04:53 AM.
12-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Someone's uncle once said: with great power comes great responsibility. So if you have a Youtube channel pompously titled "Photouniverse", promote yourself as a professional photographer and you have gathered quite a few views, you have a responsibility for the content you're providing.

So, please, Edward, be a bit more careful. Pentax cameras aren't as dangerous as you're portraying them, their mirrors don't fly off hurting people and some of them might even work for pro usage (not that I ever tried) - instead of getting results so bad you could be sued for.
Because your viewers are taking your claims seriously.

P.S. We'll handle Dan... he'll be back, one day

Yea, someone also said "You get what you pay for."

If the power is commensurate with the pay, then my advice is worth the same as the car park attendants, maybe les so. Think about it....

And why is everything I say interpreted with fundamentalist zeal? You REALLY didn't read the mirrors flying off comment as a humorous exaggeration? I'm thinking there's an oversensitivity on my viewers part based upon the quirkiness of Pentax cameras I mentioned in the latest video.

There is a lot of insecurity in Pentax land and some raw nerves. I know I am/was guilty of it with my predisposition to just assume my Pentax was broken when it was not doing what I expected it to do.

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 12:51 PM ----------

I'm not making money from photography (I have a pretty good job, financially and professionally speaking). And I do have a website Dan Ren?ea | A professional photographer takes pictures under a contract pressure, but from me no one would expect great and consistent results. All photos were taken with Pentax (K-5 II or K-3 II, except the last 2 post from my blog). I will update the photos from my site next week, because there are a few from quite a long time ago. And if I want to brag a little, one of my photos I've done for an online store will be published in a fashion magazine next month. You are talking with an enthusiastic photographer, not with a beginner one.

Yea, but digitalrev is also a commercial enterprise. They sell cameras and have a vested interest in providing that reliable info. I may be a pro photographer and have a decent Youtube following, but the videos are STRICTLY AMATEUR, for entertainment purposes only and are silly with a general overriding theme of humorous absurdity...

Do I really have to point out that a guy in a dimly lit room talking for 35 minutes about how he "feels" about a camera brand that calls his channel "PHOTO UNIVERSE" might actually be having a bit of fun while trying to share a bit of useful information? Ya'all are so LIFE and DEATH serious. It's just cameras. Even if your using them professionally. Be happy!!! Have FUN!!!

If my channel were called FLYING UNIVERSE and I was doing flight training videos to the same standard, THAT'S VERY DIFFERENT. No?

However, having said all that, I do hear what you guys are saying: you like my channel and you want it to be better and you want me to do a better job. THAT's hard to argue with.

Last edited by Qwntm; 12-13-2015 at 12:55 PM.
12-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #53
Pentaxian

If the power is commensurate with the pay, then my advice is worth the same as the car park attendants, maybe les so. Think about it....

Yea, but digitalrev is also a commercial enterprise. They sell cameras and have a vested interest in providing that reliable info. I may be a pro photographer and have a decent Youtube following, but the videos are STRICTLY AMATEUR, for entertainment purposes only and are silly with a general overriding theme of humorous absurdity...
You miss the point. I can give you a list of professional photographers with dedicated youtube channels which take seriously their videos (or, to be more precise, they are very serious about the content of their videos, even if they share the information with some humour involved), and they don't have a crue behind them. They actually try to help beginners with useful information, based on their experiences.

They don't expect people pay them, but still, they put a lot of effort in doing something useful for the people who follows them. It's called professionalism and there is nothing to do with the room were their videos are recorded. Otherwise, why you even bother to do your videos if your intention is not to help people interested in photography??

There is a lot of insecurity in Pentax land and some raw nerves. I know I am/was guilty of it with my predisposition to just assume my Pentax was broken when it was not doing what I expected it to do.[COLOR=silver]
Do I really have to point out that a guy in a dimly lit room talking for 35 minutes about how he "feels" about a camera brand that calls his channel "PHOTO UNIVERSE" might actually be having a bit of fun while trying to share a bit of useful information? Ya'all are so LIFE and DEATH serious. It's just cameras. Even if your using them professionally. Be happy!!! Have FUN!!!
Oh, but there is no insecurity here, at least not among me and the ones I photograph with. As I said, if you assume your Pentax was broken when it was not doing what you expected it to do, then try and think that maybe there's something you're not doing right. Maybe with this thoughts in your mind Pentax will start to be more reliable. After all, it's just a camera and it doesn't think for itself.

However, having said all that, I do hear what you guys are saying: you like my channel and you want it to be better and you want me to do a better job. THAT's hard to argue with.
Try not to be offended, but I really don't like your videos (and this has nothing to do with the room where you record them), but I do hope that being a professional photographer you will be paying more attention to the content (or just do a better job, as you promised to do).

After all this was a good discussion with some things to be learned by "both sides".

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-13-2015 at 02:20 PM.
12-13-2015, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #54
Imp
Pentaxian

@ Dan Rentea Good conversation, I thoroughly enjoy Ed's videos, but I take them as they are, rambling discussions about cameras in general. I don't go to Ed for information, necessarily, but to hear his opinions about pentax and other brands, because he's shot cameras for longer than I've been alive. If I don't agree with his opinions, then I don't - you need a couple grains of salt .

@ Ed, that's the only thing I've disliked about your channel, is the brand flip-flopping, and it APPEARS that every so often you change your mind about the better brand. I understand that's not how it works, A is better for X whereas B is better for Y, etc... but that is how it APPEARS to be. I'm glad you've noticed that and even named it "PSOS", hopefully you've managed to settle a bit, and i'm looking forward to those videos! (It's sort of like trying to decide which limited lens to get first, when you want them all, but only have the budget for one of them... or maybe none of them )

p.s. I think it'd be funnier if you abbreviated it System Optimization Syndrome - SOS!!
12-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #55
Pentaxian

And why is everything I say interpreted with fundamentalist zeal? You REALLY didn't read the mirrors flying off comment as a humorous exaggeration? I'm thinking there's an oversensitivity on my viewers part based upon the quirkiness of Pentax cameras I mentioned in the latest video.

There is a lot of insecurity in Pentax land and some raw nerves. I know I am/was guilty of it with my predisposition to just assume my Pentax was broken when it was not doing what I expected it to do.
But people might pay dearly for getting bad advises; since you claim to be a professional (which makes for a nice appeal to authority fallacy).

You're just hiding from responsibility behind "it's for entertainment" and "it's free anyway" here; just like you hide from valid criticism by claiming that we are "insecure" and "oversensitive". You're simply refusing to improve the quality of your videos, and to stop misleading people with random claims. But, it's your content, it's your right to make it as poor* as you like.

* Since you are getting personal, I'm less inclined to protect your feelings. Trust me, I'm still holding in.

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-13-2015 at 03:13 PM.
12-13-2015, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You miss the point. I can give you a list of professional photographers with dedicated youtube channels which take seriously their videos (or, to be more precise, they are very serious about the content of their videos, even if they share the information with some humour involved), and they don't have a crue behind them. They actually try to help beginners with useful information, based on their experiences.

They don't expect people pay them, but still, they put a lot of effort in doing something useful for the people who follows them. It's called professionalism and there is nothing to do with the room were their videos are recorded. Otherwise, why you even bother to do your videos if your intention is not to help people interested in photography??

Oh, but there is no insecurity here, at least not among me and the ones I photograph with. As I said, if you assume your Pentax was broken when it was not doing what you expected it to do, then try and think that maybe there's something you're not doing right. Maybe with this thoughts in your mind Pentax will start to be more reliable. After all, it's just a camera and it doesn't think for itself.

Try not to be offended, but I really don't like your videos (and this has nothing to do with the room where you record them), but I do hope that being a professional photographer you will be paying more attention to the content (or just do a better job, as you promised to do).

After all this was a good discussion with some things to be learned by "both sides".

LOL!!! Now that's funny!!!

If you really don't like the videos, then you are just trying to pi$$ on me and really are a troll. DON'T WATCH THEM. Obviously you think I do a lousy job and I suck, SO DON'T WATCH THEM. I am not offended, but I don't know why you feel compelled to criticize something you don't like??? Particularly when LOTS of other people like them just fine. You don't. DON'T WATCH THEM. PROBLEM SOLVED. No hard feelings, try not to be offended.

I did read the comments for the latest video today and about 5 guys out of 13 comments (40ish %) said they LOVED my videos and look forward to them. So not everyone thinks as you do.

And yes I did learn something from your comments, but if you really don't like my channel or my videos, then maybe it's best to just not bother and go comment to the people who's videos you like. Right? Hey your a free adult and can do whatever you like, but it is borderline troll behavior as someone else has already pointed out and I'm starting to agree with him... Just sayin'

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 05:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
@ Dan Rentea Good conversation, I thoroughly enjoy Ed's videos, but I take them as they are, rambling discussions about cameras in general. I don't go to Ed for information, necessarily, but to hear his opinions about pentax and other brands, because he's shot cameras for longer than I've been alive. If I don't agree with his opinions, then I don't - you need a couple grains of salt .

@ Ed, that's the only thing I've disliked about your channel, is the brand flip-flopping, and it APPEARS that every so often you change your mind about the better brand. I understand that's not how it works, A is better for X whereas B is better for Y, etc... but that is how it APPEARS to be. I'm glad you've noticed that and even named it "PSOS", hopefully you've managed to settle a bit, and i'm looking forward to those videos! (It's sort of like trying to decide which limited lens to get first, when you want them all, but only have the budget for one of them... or maybe none of them )

p.s. I think it'd be funnier if you abbreviated it System Optimization Syndrome - SOS!!

Imp, SOS it is!!! LOVE IT!!! I will credit you next video!

Dan needs to find something to occupy his time with other than starting fights with everyone he doesn't like. It's not constructive criticism if you think it's just garbage no matter how many smiley faces you use... He doesn't need salt, he needs to go hang with the people whose videos he likes.

Don't get me started on the LTD's!! It's 15/21/40/70 (NOT 15/35/70) or (15/31/70) or (15/21/43/77 --- wait, I like that, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!) SOS SOS SOS SOS!!!!

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But people might pay dearly for getting bad advises; since you claim to be a professional (which makes for a nice appeal to authority fallacy).

You're just hiding from responsibility behind "it's for entertainment" and "it's free anyway" here; just like you hide from valid criticism by claiming that we are "insecure" and "oversensitive". You're simply refusing to improve the quality of your videos, and to stop misleading people with random claims. But, it's your content, it's your right to make it as poor* as you like.

* Since you are getting personal, I'm less inclined to protect your feelings. Trust me, I'm still holding in.

Ahhh, I see Dan has invited his friends from Romania to join in the TROLLING. OK, now it is TROLLING. Sorry guys I'm done. Say whatever you like, you won't get a response from me.

Fight with pigs get covered in mud and the pigs are still happy. Fini.

Last edited by Qwntm; 12-13-2015 at 05:21 PM.
12-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #57
Imp
Pentaxian

You can look at the flip side as well, if Ed can't make up his mind on a camera system, that would seem to imply, as he said... there really aren't any bad brands or cameras.
Its just his thoughts, don't want to listen to them, then don't. They're literally just thoughts and opinions.
12-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #58
Site Supporter

I always love Photouniverse youtubes - and it is like fire side chatter, his opinion, and I do respect that even if I don't always agree... I can see his point. The humor in it all, I enjoyed the story of the wedding photographer using the bounce flash off the clouds, making good money bouncing the flash off the clouds. LOL

Ed, keep on making Pentax comments on youtube. I have a K5 and a K3, a Metz AF58-2, stroboframe mostly because of YOU... and I love the Pentax system. Like you say it can be love / hate as we sink more and more money into the name. I just purchased the DA*300 for bird photography so I think that alone gives me the right to go off on a rant now and then, as we all do!

...peace
12-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #59

I don't know Dan, but I know Kunzite from romanian photography forums (I'm from Romania) He's quite famous for trolling and even made many people to leave some forums, and those where very nice people I personally knew. Whenever he appeard, there was conflict.
Kunzite should't have a problem with what I said about him, I was just following his advice above and it's just the truth anyway.

I always loved Ed's videos, even though I'm not and never was a Pentax gear owner. I wish Ed doesn't take all this bashing too seriously and he continues to do his videos as he always did, because he does them great. If you don't like them, don't watch them. There is no responsibility, he's just a very pleasant guy telling his stories and opinios. That's great, and that's what I like. You want politicaly, technicaly, visually etc correct videos you can find plenty of those.

Thank you for the enjoyment over the years, Ed, and hope you keep the videos comming.
12-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #60

NOBODY will not to buy into Pentax system just because Ed said that for him PERSONALLY Canon works better for weddings.. Ed has TONS of videos in which he supports Pentax and talks about why the Pentax system rocks.. I bet that anybody who searches "Pentax" in YouTube will find far more supportive videos and maybe a single "Going Canon.. KINDA.. SORTA" video.. Beginners are just beginners.. not STUPIDs.

Like many others, I don't necessarily agree with every single word that Ed says.. BUT I do believe that his videos are very honest.. and I like that.

Last edited by mpslxz; 12-14-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Closed Thread