Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Man, do you stop just for a second and think that there are a few people which are following you and value your opinion and go to the store to buy things (lenses, cameras, etc.) because of your "reviews"? I'm not included in that list, just to be clear.

A few months ago you said that for weddings Pentax is not reliable because of bla bla bla... A few weeks ago you said that the main problem for you in order to do weddings with Pentax is fast lenses (or the lack of them). Now you say that shooting weddings with Pentax is a no brainer!?!

Then you said image quality from Canon 6D/7D Mark II is not up to 24mp from Pentax K-3/K-5 IIs. Really? I'm looking forward to see your weddings images taken with K-3 at ISO 3200 and no flash (as you said on this topic). By the way, Jeff Ascough's wife is shooting weddings with Canon 6D. And them (Jeff and his wife) are one of the best wedding photographers from the world. And they are not worried that people will sue them if they lose images do to the single memory card slot from 6D, or because the lack of image quality and sharpness in their images (as you experienced with 6D), etc. Just a thought...

And then you said that on a bright day you don't need HSS because with a reflector panel and an assistant you will get pretty much the same thing. But you don't. Even if you use HSS vs flash + ND filters on the lens and there are some differences in final images. Again, just a thought...

And by the way, TTL with HSS for wedding can be very useful if you use your imagination for a second. You can see some pretty impressive images taken with Godox AD360 flashes (or Cheetah or whatever name they have) in the sunlight with HSS. And now the new version of this powerful flash came out and guess what all the stobists wanted in the new version? TTL, because sometime the light is changing rapidly and you don't have time to manually adjust the power of the flash.

I really wish that you will find a system suited for you, because it's seems that neither Canon or Nikon or Pentax is not up to your standards. Canon lacks behind with their sensor, Nikon is too expensive, Pentax is and isn't reliable (depends on you mood), etc.

Or, there is a language barrier between us and I misunderstood all that you were saying. I hope this is the "problem".
I take from Ed's posts that he thinks that you get a lot of camera for the price with both the K3 and k3 II and in order to significantly better the performance you get with those cameras you would have to go to a D810 (or maybe a A7r II -- although the lenses aren't really there for that system yet). The 6D and D610 both give good performance -- better in high iso situations for sure -- but it isn't enough of a performance boost that it is worth the price differential.

Currently, Pentax bodies and lenses are really cheap in the United States -- as low as I have seen in a long time. It is really hard to argue with the prices that Ed posted. I understand that it is a different story in Romania, but Ed is merely posting about his open experience and the prices he is paying for gear.

Each person needs to evaluate what he/she needs and what they are willing to spend, what lenses they need, and whether a brand offers good support in the country in which they live. This equation will be different for different folks in different countries.

I would just add that a lot bigger deal is made of the 1/180 second versus 1/250 second flash sync speed than should be. Seldom is a half stop difference going to make or break a photo and professionals do use reflectors in these sorts of situation because they want to shoot at f2 and flash just isn't going to work at 1/250 second even -- at least not without a ND filter.

12-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love Pentax gear, but I find the notion that you can't take professional level wedding photos with Canon gear as a bit ridiculous.
12-10-2015, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I take from Ed's posts that he thinks that you get a lot of camera for the price with both the K3 and k3 II and in order to significantly better the performance you get with those cameras you would have to go to a D810 (or maybe a A7r II -- although the lenses aren't really there for that system yet). The 6D and D610 both give good performance -- better in high iso situations for sure -- but it isn't enough of a performance boost that it is worth the price differential.

Currently, Pentax bodies and lenses are really cheap in the United States -- as low as I have seen in a long time. It is really hard to argue with the prices that Ed posted. I understand that it is a different story in Romania, but Ed is merely posting about his open experience and the prices he is paying for gear.

Each person needs to evaluate what he/she needs and what they are willing to spend, what lenses they need, and whether a brand offers good support in the country in which they live. This equation will be different for different folks in different countries.

I would just add that a lot bigger deal is made of the 1/180 second versus 1/250 second flash sync speed than should be. Seldom is a half stop difference going to make or break a photo and professionals do use reflectors in these sorts of situation because they want to shoot at f2 and flash just isn't going to work at 1/250 second even -- at least not without a ND filter.

This is exactly true. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, I always seem to get the same criticism over and over again:

I NEVER say that camera "A" IS BAD. I DO SAY that camera "B" is BETTER. That's not the same thing as saying: I PREFER CAMERA "B," BECAUSE CAMERA "A" IS A BAD CAMERA,

BUT EVERYONE ALWAYS reads into what I say, as if I had said NO PROFESSIONALLY USABLE IMAGES COULD EVER BE MADE WITH THESE CAMERAS which I have NEVER said...

As for professional images done with Canon 6D's, my new website: www.sonnetphotography.com is shot with all Canon 20D's Yup, 8mp's Canon 1.6 APS-c cameras. That's all work I did in 2005/2006 the last time (last time) I was heavy into weddings. I could use any decent DSLR made in the past 5 years and shoot a seasons worth of weddings and never once worry about the IQ the cameras are delivering. Todays cameras are just that good. There really are NO BAD CAMERAS!!!!

After the Fall Bridal Show I did in October I toyed with the idea of using Nikon's and penned out an $8,000 Nikon system. Could I buy a Canon 6D or 70D or even a couple Rebels and shoot all of next years jobs? Sure thing. No problem. Would I want to considering I know that the Nikon's would give me an easier image file to work with. NO. NOT A CHANCE.

Would I want to spend $8,000 USD on a Nikon system knowing that I can get complete Pentax system for the price of just 1 Nikon body, especially considering I prefer the Pentax anyway? And the answer to that question is why I am where I am today.

Do I need the Fuji system with the fast lenses. No. But I like it.

And yes the whole HSS leaf shutter 1/180th vs 1/250th argument is pure donkey tosh. It's worrying about a mouse in the corner while Armageddon is raging outside. At least at a wedding.

IF you are doing precisely controlled studio (indoor or outdoor) shots, then sure, I get the point. Otherwise fry your bigger fish first.

I am glad people are following along, though I doubt anyone is buying anything based upon ONLY my escapades. My videos are for "entertainment purposes only," and I consider myself lucky if I even achieve that! If someone goes outside and smashes their new 6D with a hammer because I said I made a print with my K3II and pixel shift which I prefer over the 6D, that's not my fault!!!

And OMG Pentax is having a FIRE SALE in USA!!! $750 USD for a DA* 50-135mm SDM WR???? $742.00 for a K3II body???? $362.00 for a HD 21mm LTD???? $699.00 for a DA* 16-50mm SDM WR????? DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I am glad people are following along, though I doubt anyone is buying anything based upon ONLY my escapades. My videos are for "entertainment purposes only," and I consider myself lucky if I even achieve that! If someone goes outside and smashes their new 6D with a hammer because I said I made a print with my K3II and pixel shift which I prefer over the 6D, that's not my fault!!!
You should watch your videos...and read the comments from your fans. There are a few which said that they watched your review on x or y product and ordered that product because of your reviews.

This is exactly true. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, I always seem to get the same criticism over and over again:

I NEVER say that camera "A" IS BAD. I DO SAY that camera "B" is BETTER. That's not the same thing as saying: I PREFER CAMERA "B," BECAUSE CAMERA "A" IS A BAD CAMERA,

BUT EVERYONE ALWAYS reads into what I say, as if I had said NO PROFESSIONALLY USABLE IMAGES COULD EVER BE MADE WITH THESE CAMERAS which I have NEVER said...

As for professional images done with Canon 6D's, my new website: www.sonnetphotography.com is shot with all Canon 20D's Yup, 8mp's Canon 1.6 APS-c cameras. That's all work I did in 2005/2006 the last time (last time) I was heavy into weddings. I could use any decent DSLR made in the past 5 years and shoot a seasons worth of weddings and never once worry about the IQ the cameras are delivering. Todays cameras are just that good. There really are NO BAD CAMERAS!!!!

After the Fall Bridal Show I did in October I toyed with the idea of using Nikon's and penned out an $8,000 Nikon system. Could I buy a Canon 6D or 70D or even a couple Rebels and shoot all of next years jobs? Sure thing. No problem. Would I want to considering I know that the Nikon's would give me an easier image file to work with. NO. NOT A CHANCE.

Would I want to spend $8,000 USD on a Nikon system knowing that I can get complete Pentax system for the price of just 1 Nikon body, especially considering I prefer the Pentax anyway? And the answer to that question is why I am where I am today.
So...what a person who's watching your video should think? I'm confused a little. Pentax is a no brainer camera for weddings or isn't? According to what you said in your video, using Pentax for weddings will probably get you sued.

This is what you said in your video, starting from the minute 14:40.

Quote: "When I'm taking pictures with my Pentax and something goes wrong and I'm not sure what the problem is, the first thing that I think of is Oh, is the camera broken. And sometime it is. And when I'm photographing with the Canon (or even a Nikon) and something is not doing what it should do, my first thought is What am I do wrong. Like how do I set this so it work, I'm obviously not set it properly!?

I'm making so many sacrifices already to try to use the Pentax sistem... Canon is making a great sistem for the same amount of money. With Canon I can get PRO, seriously PRO gear, great gear. With Pentax is like, you now...really?

Don't get me wrong, I love Pentax, you guys know I do, but it's all fun and games until someone is writing a check for 1500$ for me to photograph their wedding, right!? The bottom line is that I'm more comfortable going out to a wedding with the 7D Mark II and a 24-70mmL lens than I am with my K-3 II and my Tamron. I mean, I need to pay the bills, I need to not get sued." End of the quote

So which one is it, Ed? If I were a customer of yours, I'd probably sue you if you'd come to my wedding with a Pentax (especially if I had seen that video of yours).

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 07:57 AM ----------

Rondec, I use the bold tool for the phrase where Ed is saying that for the same amount of money he can go seriously PRO with Canon. So is not about romanian prices... In my opinion Ed is more like a child who doesn't know what he wants and what to choose from a lot of "toys".

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-11-2015 at 01:51 AM.
12-11-2015, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should watch your videos...and read the comments from your fans. There are a few which said that they watched your review on x or y product and ordered that product because of your reviews.

So...what a person who's watching your video should think? I'm confused a little. Pentax is a no brainer camera for weddings or isn't? According to what you said in your video, using Pentax for weddings will probably get you sued.

Quote: "When I'm taking pictures with my Pentax and something goes wrong and I'm not sure what the problem is, the first thing that I think of is Oh, is the camera broken. And sometime it is. And when I'm photographing with the Canon (or even a Nikon) and something is not doing what it should do, my first thought is What am I do wrong. Like how do I set this so it work, I'm obviously not set it properly!?

I'm making so many sacrifices already to try to use the Pentax sistem... Canon is making a great sistem for the same amount of money. With Canon I can get PRO, seriously PRO gear, great gear. With Pentax is like, you now...really?

Don't get me wrong, I love Pentax, you guys know I do, but it's all fun and games until someone is writing a check for 1500$ for me to photograph their wedding, right!? The bottom line is that I'm more comfortable going out to a wedding with the 7D Mark II and a 24-70mmL lens than I am with my K-3 II and my Tamron. I mean, I need to pay the bills, I need to not get sued." End of the quote

So which one is it, Ed? If I were a customer of yours, I'd probably sue you if you'd come to my wedding with a Pentax (especially if I had seen that video of yours).

Rondec, I use the bold tool for the phrase where Ed is saying that for the same amount of money he can go seriously PRO with Canon. So is not about romanian prices... In my opinion Ed is more like a child who doesn't know what he wants and what to choose from a lot of "toys".
My wife does shoot weddings with Pentax gear and she does charge more than 1500 dollars a wedding. Of course, she is excited about the coming full frame, but shooting with APS-C has made her learn to use flash and reflectors and triggers. Of course, I am biased, but I think she gets excellent results and has had no issues with her gear. Would she get as good photos with Canon? Probably, although it would cost a lot to switch and she would have to learn cameras with a completely different lay out.

Anyway, Ed does get a little carried away in both directions, but just take it with a grain of salt. As he says, there probably aren't many people who are buying camera bodies purely on his recommendation. Most people investing 1500 dollars in a camera body and lens are going to do a little research first.

But there are worse things than ending up with a K3 and a DA *16-50/50-135...
12-11-2015, 05:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

My wife does shoot weddings with Pentax gear and she does charge more than 1500 dollars a wedding. Of course, she is excited about the coming full frame, but shooting with APS-C has made her learn to use flash and reflectors and triggers. Of course, I am biased, but I think she gets excellent results and has had no issues with her gear. Would she get as good photos with Canon? Probably, although it would cost a lot to switch and she would have to learn cameras with a completely different lay out.

Anyway, Ed does get a little carried away in both directions, but just take it with a grain of salt. As he says, there probably aren't many people who are buying camera bodies purely on his recommendation. Most people investing 1500 dollars in a camera body and lens are going to do a little research first.

But there are worse things than ending up with a K3 and a DA *16-50/50-135...
I was confident with both my K-5 II and K-3 II that I can get what I want/need. I learned so much with Pentax cameras especially because I stayed away from SDM lenses (16-50mm and 50-135mm in particular) and went for primes. And that was a smart decision because I learned to be creative and to think more on the shots I took. I still zoom with my feet sometimes even if I have a 70-200mm lens now because of the habit from the times I was shooting with Pentax prime lenses.

So...I'm not the one which has to be convinced that Pentax is a reliable camera. I didn't left Pentax because it wasn't reliable. I just wanted those things like: decent service, third party support, tethering...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-11-2015 at 06:33 AM.
12-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster

All the smiley faces in the world aint gonna save you this time.

I bought the Canon system, paid the same amount of money as the Pentax system (without the fire sale prices going on now in the USA right now) and YES, it is a more professionally reliable system. The image quality isn't as good in my opinion. I will have to employ a lot more diligence with the Pentax system to utilize it professionally. I DON'T TRUST IT AS MUCH AS A NIKON OR CANON SYSTEM FOR RELIABILITY. BUT, I am going to make it work, because I don't like the compromises I have to make to get the Canikon level of reliability.

If you don't like the videos, stop watching them, instead of baiting people into arguments. Or insulting people. Or is that just a Romanian thing? Or just your personality?

12-11-2015, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #38
Imp
Pentaxian

Or is that just a Romanian thing? Or just your personality?
Says Ed as he baits him
12-11-2015, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Says Ed as he baits him

Turn about IS ALWAYS FAIR PLAY!!

Seriously, don't pick a fight if you don't want to fight.

I can't believe someone has the time to actually provide transcripts of my silly videos! If only politicians in the USA were held to this standard. It's almost as if he PAID to watch them!! Quite a laugh actually. I guess that's why all the smiley faces.
12-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My videos are for "entertainment purposes only
Glad to hear (see?) you say that You are not alone. The DigitalRev TV guys do much the same thing only with more slap-stick. What I do is take note of what reviewers and commentators say, check it out for myself, and determine whether the noted quirks in the gear affect my ability to shoot my usual subjects.

So...I'm not the one which has to be convinced that Pentax is a reliable camera. I didn't left Pentax because it wasn't reliable. I just wanted those things like: decent service, third party support, tethering...
If you left Pentax, why are you still hanging around the Pentax sections of this forum. There is an active non-Pentax area where people complain about and laud their non-Pentax cameras. We are pretty nice here, but every persistent troll I have ever seen on this site has eventually been banned...usually after a thorough mobbing by crows, ravens, and rooks.

Or is that just a Romanian thing?
Nah...I know a lot of very fine Romanian people and none are particularly confrontative.

Steve
12-12-2015, 04:47 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Glad to hear (see?) you say that You are not alone. The DigitalRev TV guys do much the same thing only with more slap-stick. What I do is take note of what reviewers and commentators say, check it out for myself, and determine whether the noted quirks in the gear affect my ability to shoot my usual subjects.

If you left Pentax, why are you still hanging around the Pentax sections of this forum. There is an active non-Pentax area where people complain about and laud their non-Pentax cameras. We are pretty nice here, but every persistent troll I have ever seen on this site has eventually been banned...usually after a thorough mobbing by crows, ravens, and rooks.

Nah...I know a lot of very fine Romanian people and none are particularly confrontative.

Steve
Well, Dan Rentea isn't confrontative, at least I don't read his posts like he would be.
I just don't get why he seems to think that he has to defend his move to Canon again and again. Dan Rentea, just be happy that You did what You wanted and move on, but please dont repeat Yourself over and over again. Nobody but You has to judge on this.
12-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member

All the smiley faces in the world aint gonna save you this time.

I bought the Canon system, paid the same amount of money as the Pentax system (without the fire sale prices going on now in the USA right now) and YES, it is a more professionally reliable system. The image quality isn't as good in my opinion. I will have to employ a lot more diligence with the Pentax system to utilize it professionally. I DON'T TRUST IT AS MUCH AS A NIKON OR CANON SYSTEM FOR RELIABILITY. BUT, I am going to make it work, because I don't like the compromises I have to make to get the Canikon level of reliability.

If you don't like the videos, stop watching them, instead of baiting people into arguments. Or insulting people. Or is that just a Romanian thing? Or just your personality?

Save me from what?

If you make your videos public and say that they are silly, then you need to mention at the beginning or at the end that your videos are pamphlets and should be treated as such. You say you are a professional photographer and in consequence there are people interested in your opinion and value your impression on a camera, or on a lens.

Why? Because there are just a few videos/reviews on Youtube for Pentax cameras and every piece of information is important for some people who can't rent or borrow lenses, etc. because it's difficult to find dealers which rent Pentax gear. Your videos on the Pentax sistem is misleading (and according to you, now they are for entartaiment only, or silly - your words, not mine).

You actually said a lot more negative things about Pentax than I ever did. And if I look at all my comments from all my post on this forum I think I didn't said bad things about Pentax. On the contrary, I said what I would like to see from Pentax and which are in my opinion the weak points of the sistem.

And still, Stevebrot thinks I'm a troll. Stevebroat, ask those romanian people you that said you know (if they are Pentaxian and live in Romania there's a chance to know me from our local Pentax facebook page, or if they attended at the workshops I organised at my firm for Pentaxians) if I love Pentax or not. Yes, Romanian people are nice, and we do have personality.

Stevebrot, you can report me to the Admins and if they also consider that I'm a troll, then I think I will be banned. I have enough decency to accept it if they think such a thing about me.

I'm staying on this forum because as I said, I love Pentax and I'm interested in K-S 2 (for travel) for his curent price, for his small body, for his built quality and for his IQ. And I still have my Pentax backpack.

I'm not defending myself and I'm not defending Canon (I often mention other brands just to make sure that no one thinks that my comments are about Canon vs Pentax). I just want that people be more careful on what they say or what they write about Pentax, especially when they say about them self that they are professional photographers.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-12-2015 at 03:02 PM.
12-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #43
Lev
Veteran Member

What kind of relibility you guys talking about? In this country where I live people don't even know Pentax. No single service center in 3000km radius 😃 but I already have K3-II, 16-85, 55-500, recently bought 540 II flash, going to buy 100mm macro, and seriously thinking about limiteds. Why? Because I fell in love.
12-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #44

Am I the only one confused by this thread?
12-12-2015, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

(if they are Pentaxian and live in Romania there's a chance to know me
Nah...they all live here in the Portland, Oregon area. There is a large community of expatriate Romanians here. I know and am friends with several families going back a number of years. FWIW, I believe that the Romanian language as spoken is perhaps the most beautiful and lyric that I have heard.

Steve
Closed Thread