Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #1

Requeste to Santa for K3 updates

Hi everyone!

The 645Z and 645D received a firmware update and since it's almost Christmas, I thought we could write a little "wish list" for Santa-san at the Pentax headquarters.

So here is my wish list :-)
  1. TETHERING!!!
    Come on! We are in 2015 and almost 2016!
    And please, don't release a costly software!
  2. RAW histogram (not jpeg)
    I would love that! It would be a great way to check te correct exposure and to squeeze the best out of the (already excellent) sensor.
  3. More reliable LV histogram
  4. SD card selection
    It's nice to provide two SD slots. It would be better to let us choose the card
  5. Zoom (100%) on focus point
    When I review a picture I just shot, I always "scroll" to the selected focus point. It would be great to have the option to zoom directly to that point
  6. In Live View mode, highlight alert is applied AFTER focus peaking, which is displayed in ... white. So with focus peaking enabled, you can't make the difference between in focus areas and overexposed areas.
  7. Better focus peaking? adjustable color? sensitivity?
    I find focus peaking really hard do use and not sensitive enough. I've used other cameras and it could be way better. For example, being able to choose a specific color, like the red highlight alert. I would then choose the B&W mode focus peaking in red, for example.
    I also think focus peaking is not sensitive enough. I think the "analysis" is made on the previewed image (on the screen) and not on the real image.
  8. Video sensor stabilisation
    It was the case on older models. So why use software stabilisation? Or both?
    [Edit:] Apparently, the sensor stabilisation is too noisy for that ;-)
  9. Focus peaking while recording a movie?
  10. Interval movie record (Timelapse): 1/30s limitation
    Why are we limited to 1/30s when we shoot at longer intervals? It's so sad :-(
  11. Get rid of the 3 consecutive images in Interval movie record mode (Timelapse)
    look a this video:
  12. Better video format codec (and pixel binning)
    Or is it limited by the hardware?

Last edited by Azergoth; 04-09-2016 at 10:06 AM.
12-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the reasons I did not upgrade to the K-3 is that AFAIK you lose the extended ISO 80 mode that the K-5 offers and can only shoot as low as 100. If this were an issue that could be corrected with a firmware update, it might be nice to have that back.
12-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
One of the reasons I did not upgrade to the K-3 is that AFAIK you lose the extended ISO 80 mode that the K-5 offers and can only shoot as low as 100. If this were an issue that could be corrected with a firmware update, it might be nice to have that back.
I did not know the K5 had that feature. But, since it's extended ISO and not base ISO, does it really matter?

Indeed, lower base ISO would be great, but I doubt this could be implanted in a firmware update...
12-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
RAW histogram
You can't do that, what are the histograms I'm looking at on my K-50 when I take RAW then?
TETHERING!!!
Yes! On the K-50 as well please!

12-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt this could be implanted in a firmware update...
Regardless of whether it's base or extended, I do seem to get better results at 80 and I hope Pentax goes even lower with the successors. Among other things, it helps control close-range overexposure when using my film-era ring flash on the 35 Macro.
12-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You can't do that, what are the histograms I'm looking at on my K-50 when I take RAW then?
No, it's actually the histogram of the jpeg preview embedded in the RAW file ��
So if you have overexposed parts of the image, some of them can be recovered in post! �� (some...)

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yes! On the K-50 as well please!
It should be on all cameras!
12-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, it's actually the histogram of the jpeg preview embedded in the RAW file ��
So if you blow some parts of the image, some of them might be recovered in post!
Ahh. Ok.
12-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Regardless of whether it's base or extended, I do seem to get better results at 80 and I hope Pentax goes even lower with the successors. Among other things, it helps control close-range overexposure when using my film-era ring flash on the 35 Macro.
Maybe because you expose to the right? 😉

03-28-2016, 03:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
I've added:

QuoteQuote:
In Live View mode, highlight alert is applied AFTER focus peaking, which is displayed in ... white. So with focus peaking enabled, you can't make the difference between in focus areas and overexposed areas.
and edited the sensor stabilisation in video mode: the sensor stabilisation would apparently be too noisy ;-)

I would also love three other things:
  • Reaching auto ISO when you try to go lower than 100 iso. The green button works, but why not on the selection wheel?
  • I would like to have the B pose beyond 30". I've special settings stored in a User mode and I can not quickly switch between shorter than 30" and longer than 30" exposures
  • More reliable LiveView histogram

What do you think?

Last edited by Azergoth; 04-09-2016 at 10:07 AM.