Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Question to K3 owners about intervalometer.

I have the original K5 and would like to use the intervalometer in combination with the two second mirror up function. However, that doesn't seem to be possible.

Maybe it's my tripod that is to weak but I do get problems during astrophoto when using the intervalometer and aiming for the stars. Vibrations from the mirror sort of ruins the method of using the intervalometer for this kind of job.

Do the K3 have the same restriction?

12-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If I knew what a intervalometer was I would answer you with a clear and concise solution.
12-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I have the original K5 and would like to use the intervalometer in combination with the two second mirror up function. However, that doesn't seem to be possible.

Maybe it's my tripod that is to weak but I do get problems during astrophoto when using the intervalometer and aiming for the stars. Vibrations from the mirror sort of ruins the method of using the intervalometer for this kind of job.

Yes it does.
12-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote

Unfortunately, the Astrotracer function is a 1 shot deal.

If you want to do multiple shots (for stacking?), you will need a tracking mount such as an iOptron SkyTracker or similar and a wired programmable remote.

Remember, the camera sensor can only be moved a few degrees during an exposure - you have to move the entire camera to properly track an object over a long period of time.

12-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Yes it does.
Oh crap, but thanks for the answer.

---------- Post added 12-13-2015 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
Unfortunately, the Astrotracer function is a 1 shot deal.

If you want to do multiple shots (for stacking?), you will need a tracking mount such as an iOptron SkyTracker or similar and a wired programmable remote.

Remember, the camera sensor can only be moved a few degrees during an exposure - you have to move the entire camera to properly track an object over a long period of time.
Yes, but in this case I used a wide angle lens and a 10sec exposure without the Astrotracer hoping that I would catch a trace from the Geminids meteor shower,

So with a 10sec exposure and the intervalometer set to 14 seconds and 40 shots I ended up with a lot of pictures, all with a slight vibration and no meteors. I'm ok with the lack of meteors, but I don't like the vibrations.
12-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Turns out it might have something to do with SR. I tried it again but with SR off and the problem seems to be gone. Perhaps the K5 doesn't turn off SR automatically when using the intervalometer? Will have to do some more tests about that.