Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Does your battery get warm?

I've taken a group of shots pretty much close together and I noticed that the battery felt warm on my K3, is this normal? (While touching the bottom of the camera). I don't mind it but was wondering if it is a thought for concern. thanks

12-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Efficiency of re-loadable batteries (sadly) is still very poor.
The missing energy is transformed to heat when loading and unloading.

But I do not know how much you should feel it with a K-3.
The sensors in the Li-Io Accu of my IBM/Lenovo notebook (when running) always show something like 40-60C (104-140F).

EDIT (not directly related to your question):

As overheating of Li-Io cells is extremely dangerous, good accus have heat sensors and current limiters.

And if current limit is reached while loading, the battery should be disabled permanently.
It is now just a dangerous good (and if, at that point, it was partially loaded, a very dangerous one).

If there is a shortcut within a cell, this may melt down at temperatures of up to 1000C, No way to put the fire out before all stored energy was transferred to heat.
An advise by a German specialized magazine: if a notebook or cell phone accu starts to burn, open the window and get away as fast as you can.

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-16-2015 at 04:25 PM.
12-17-2015, 02:20 AM   #3

Are you sure your camera isn't heating not the batteries? I took video 20 minutes and my K-3 shutted down by overtemp. Battery was just warm to hand. The ambient was over 30 degrees. My point is that if you open the battery door and look, there is air gap between door and battery so the bottom to warm up would need heat from the sides of the battery.

And if your battery gets hot with normal operation, it is dead. I have recelled couple of ebay batteries. Replacing cells isn't that hard but requires some knowledge and good replacement cells. Batteries fail different way. Some increase internal resistance more so that current can't be drawn, some increase less and current is turned heat by P= RI^2, where R is internal resistance of the battery. And some just drop the voltage down.

Most batteries have two year life span after being manufactured but some can live more than ten years. Charging batteries is one form of magic. Basically you apply constant voltage then constant current. How these happen and what are the values of these constants creates the charging time. Exceeding cells maximum charging voltage or current will kill it.
12-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first K-3 seemed to get abnormally hot this summer when I was doing some very light shooting outside so I sent it back after a day and got a replacement. The second one has been much better. I noticed the heat coming from the LCD screen when I would look through the viewfinder. Not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing or not.

I never really noticed it specifically from the battery area.

01-01-2016, 02:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not really.

I've used Pentax D-LI90 batteries as auxiliary power sources for various projects, sometimes subjecting them to loads exceeding 3 amps (much greater than what the camera will continuously draw) and they only get warm, never hot. Note that if you somehow short the battery contacts or pull too much current from the battery, it will simply shut down and refuse to work until you put it in the charger.