Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Autofocus / Autoexposure Question

Hi Folks

There are a couple of options in my Pentax K-3 custom menu that I have been confused about for a long time andafter a recent discussion about BBF got me wondering and confused again after a year of use. The options are AE-L with AF Locked and Link AE and AF Point. What are the conditions where you would want each option on and or each option off or one or the other either on or off. Using BBF and AF Single then locking focus and then recomposing would it be better to decouple both options rather than coupling them. I can see a situation when using BBF and locking focus, AE-L would probably not be working in the first place. What are everyone's thoughts on this? The Manual isn't a ton of help on this at all

Larry

12-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Link AE and AF Point is useful when you use a non centered AF point.
This area is weighted stronger then for exposure.

AE-L with AF Locked
I haven't found a useful application for this feature yet.
12-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Link AE and AF Point is useful when you use a non centered AF point.
This area is weighted stronger then for exposure.

AE-L with AF Locked
Linking AE point with AF point, thats what I assumed. I use Back button Auto focus and I haven't quite decided if this option totally decouples the shutter button for autoexposure purposes and couples it to the AF button on the back of the K-3 when the camera is setup to decouple the shutter button from focus.

Larry
12-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
AE-L with AF Locked
"Focus, meter, recompose, shoot." Useful with metering in spot mode, especially if you're using MF lenses or third-party AF lenses that don't communicate fully with the camera body, multi-point functions are disabled, and light conditions are complex and might confuse a centre-weighted or matrix picture. I use a lot of older and MF glass on my K-5, so I have this option turned on and use the AF in its focus-confirm incarnation.

12-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
"Focus, meter, recompose, shoot." Useful with metering in spot mode, especially if you're using MF lenses or third-party AF lenses that don't communicate fully with the camera body, multi-point functions are disabled, and light conditions are complex and might confuse a centre-weighted or matrix picture. I use a lot of older and MF glass on my K-5, so I have this option turned on and use the AF in its focus-confirm incarnation.
So if one is using Back button auto focus is the Auto exposure locked when Auto focus is locked? If so, this would relegate the shutter button to only release the shutter when desired, would it not? This would make the shutter button react like a manual only film camera.

Larry
12-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I can't really say. I've tried back button AF and it never really worked for me, so I gave up.
12-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So if one is using Back button auto focus is the Auto exposure locked when Auto focus is locked? If so, this would relegate the shutter button to only release the shutter when desired, would it not? This would make the shutter button react like a manual only film camera.

Larry
For simplicity, I'm assuming you're using BBF with AF-S and not AF-C. When you have AE-L with AF Locked set as "on", then when you press the AF button and the camera "beeps" to lock focus, then the exposure will be locked as long as you continue to hold down the AF button. You'll notice this to be the case as the little star on the button of the viewfinder (indicating locked exposure) will stay on until you release the AF button. With it set to "off", the exposure continues to adjust as you move around the camera regardless of whether you hold down the AF button or not.

Hope this helps!

12-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
"Focus, meter, recompose, shoot."
Well, I use the AE-L button for that.
Do you really fiddle in the menu for rare cases like that?
12-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
For simplicity, I'm assuming you're using BBF with AF-S and not AF-C. When you have AE-L with AF Locked set as "on", then when you press the AF button and the camera "beeps" to lock focus, then the exposure will be locked as long as you continue to hold down the AF button. You'll notice this to be the case as the little star on the button of the viewfinder (indicating locked exposure) will stay on until you release the AF button. With it set to "off", the exposure continues to adjust as you move around the camera regardless of whether you hold down the AF button or not.

Hope this helps!
Hmmmm, I use BBF in both AF-S and AF-C so I think my best bet is to turn that feature off and use the shutter button for AE. Lately I have been staying in AF-C and holding it down for continuous focus and releasing it for non-continuous focus. Thanks

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 12-21-2015 at 08:52 AM.
12-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hmmmm, I use BBF in both AF-S and AF-C so I think my best bet is to turn that feature off and use the shutter button for AE. Lately I have been staying in AF-C and holding it down for continuous focus and releasing it for non-continuous focus. Thanks

Larry
Yes, I haven't seen a use for the "lock" option when using BBF in conjunction with AF-C (which is what I do, too). But we still have the separate AE-L button which can accomplish the same thing if needed.