Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 05:31 AM   #31

K3 metering problem

This weekend I was using my K3 in the rain with the Pentax DA 16-85 WR on it, and my metering system no longer works properly. When I use OVF I get blown out exposures because it sticks at some incredibly high shutter speeds, such as 10-15 seconds, and that's with the ISO at 1600! It works properly with Live View, though. I posted this on a FB page for Pentax owners, and heard of two other people that experienced the same problem. One seemed to be related to water shorting out the system, and the other not. This is a problem, especially since the water sealing is such a big deal. I've got my camera in rice drying out, but I really don't have a whole lot of hope for it.

03-30-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemppo Quote
The image shows up on screen right after shot but it takes about a second for the icons to appear and during that time turning rear dial effects to aperture. K5 did not have this feature (of course K3 images are larger)... I'm using Class10 Sandisk Extreme Plus memorycard.

It's just annoying feature when shooting in nature and face a quick situation and have to zoom the image quickly after shot to check for focus and so on. Then next shot gets dark because of this...
Hemppo you'll need to buy an Extreme Pro 95MB/s U3 4K card to get the best from the K-3. I've just bought the latest Sandisk Extreme Pro cards and the image is always up on the LCD before I can take the camera away from my eye and view the screen. Both cards need to be the same and format the card using the camera format before use.

That might overcome your dial problem or at least help.

Last edited by Flasher; 03-30-2016 at 03:15 PM.
04-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #33

HELP!! My K3 got stuck in Mirror Up mode with no warning!

I've searched this forum, and have not seen any other issues like this. I hope that I'm posting this in the right area. Today was the first day that I have used my K3 since the latest update in Firmware to 1.21. I was at the Botanical Gardens and was happily clicking along, when my camera suddenly went into Mirror Up mode. I had been using it in AV mode. I tried everything possible and checked everything possible to get the camera to work -- When I popped it into Auto (green mode) it worked sporadically, but it at least worked. On our way home the only thing I could think to try was to reset the entire body back to default reset. Once I did this, it was sluggish at best in responding in any mode.
Has anybody had an issue like this since the new firmware update? I'm really upset that it's happening, especially since I had dealt with flopping mirror issues in the past. I'm going to contact Pentax/Ricoh and see what they say - but I know they are going to say send it in, and I'm about to leave on vacation next week!

Thanks for any help or advice
04-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GAjeeperGirl Quote
I've searched this forum, and have not seen any other issues like this. I hope that I'm posting this in the right area. Today was the first day that I have used my K3 since the latest update in Firmware to 1.21. I was at the Botanical Gardens and was happily clicking along, when my camera suddenly went into Mirror Up mode. I had been using it in AV mode. I tried everything possible and checked everything possible to get the camera to work -- When I popped it into Auto (green mode) it worked sporadically, but it at least worked. On our way home the only thing I could think to try was to reset the entire body back to default reset. Once I did this, it was sluggish at best in responding in any mode.
Has anybody had an issue like this since the new firmware update? I'm really upset that it's happening, especially since I had dealt with flopping mirror issues in the past. I'm going to contact Pentax/Ricoh and see what they say - but I know they are going to say send it in, and I'm about to leave on vacation next week!

Try downloading the firmware from the Ricoh site again and reinstalling it on your K3. It might have been corrupted somewhere along the way. Also try using a different SD Card to install it in case that was the problem.

I assume you have tried removing the battery for 30 seconds to see if that makes a difference.

04-18-2016, 01:03 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flasher Quote
Hemppo you'll need to buy an Extreme Pro 95MB/s U3 4K card to get the best from the K-3.
The bus tops out at about 40Mb/s, doesn't it?

04-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The bus tops out at about 40Mb/s, doesn't it?
Yes it appears to on the K5 but the K3 goes a lot faster so you notice a difference on the K3 with the Extreme Pro.
04-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #37

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and reinstall the firmware update. Yes, I've done every quick fix while it was happening. Different SD card,,,,battery out,,,,back in -- as well as a completely different battery. Now that I've reset the camera, I cannot get it to replicate the issue, and I'm petrified that it will do this in the middle of a shoot or project because it really takes up a lot of time, worry and energy. I certainly don't want to have to set it back to default right in the middle of a planned outing or shoot. I also contacted Pentax, but have not heard back.
I'm so bummed because this is now the second mirror issue with my K3 (the floppy mirror was the first), and I had to have a brand new K5 replaced with a totally new camera when my K5 decided to stop working in chilly temps under 50 degrees. I was VERY close to wanting to pull the cord on the new K1, but to be honest,,,I'm not feeling the Pentax 'love' right now to do so.
04-19-2016, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and reinstall the firmware update. Yes, I've done every quick fix while it was happening. Different SD card,,,,battery out,,,,back in -- as well as a completely different battery. Now that I've reset the camera, I cannot get it to replicate the issue, and I'm petrified that it will do this in the middle of a shoot or project because it really takes up a lot of time, worry and energy. I certainly don't want to have to set it back to default right in the middle of a planned outing or shoot. I also contacted Pentax, but have not heard back.
I'm so bummed because this is now the second mirror issue with my K3 (the floppy mirror was the first), and I had to have a brand new K5 replaced with a totally new camera when my K5 decided to stop working in chilly temps under 50 degrees. I was VERY close to wanting to pull the cord on the new K1, but to be honest,,,I'm not feeling the Pentax 'love' right now to do so.
You might have a bad copy if reloading firmware doesn't work. It's possible your mirror assembly is faulty but if it is working ok now then you probably just have the "standard" mirror problem. It has only happened to me about 3 times the first was with old firmware and I had to remove the battery to reset it. Now with 1.21 it will flap for about 3 shots then lock up for a couple of seconds and reset. I lose the shot I have just taken and I have to remember to reapply any ISO, Shutter or aperture settings but otherwise it is back in action. I have had no other problems at all with the K-3.

Make sure you download a new copy of the firmware in case the one on your computer is corrupt.

I'd be waiting for the K-1 Mark 2 given Pentax's recent history with unfixable problems with the K5 and K3.

04-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Flasher Quote
You might have a bad copy if reloading firmware doesn't work. It's possible your mirror assembly is faulty but if it is working ok now then you probably just have the "standard" mirror problem. It has only happened to me about 3 times the first was with old firmware and I had to remove the battery to reset it. Now with 1.21 it will flap for about 3 shots then lock up for a couple of seconds and reset. I lose the shot I have just taken and I have to remember to reapply any ISO, Shutter or aperture settings but otherwise it is back in action. I have had no other problems at all with the K-3.

Make sure you download a new copy of the firmware in case the one on your computer is corrupt.

I'd be waiting for the K-1 Mark 2 given Pentax's recent history with unfixable problems with the K5 and K3.
Well, I heard back from Pentax, and it must be sent in -- of course it's out of warranty, so I will have to pay for the shipping and the repair. And so, I'm thinking that what I might just use the body and see if it happens again, and then send it out. I can't lose anything by waiting for a little bit (at least in my eyes)
Appreciate your help!
05-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Mirror flop is a very isolated issue with the K-3. It's unlikely that a camera you pick up will be affected by it, and recent firmware updates address the issue by automatically shutting the camera off.

Well, I purchased a new K3II about a month ago, and I had the mirror start flapping in the middle of taking pictures the other day. I had to pull the battery to get it to stop.
05-11-2016, 02:17 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Surovi Quote
What about rubber grip? Does it peeling away from the body after a few months or years?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It doesn't. The build on these cameras is really sturdy and they hold up quite well against time and the elements.
I wouldn't be so sure @Rondec.

The grips have peeled away to some extent on all my pentax SLRs. But to be fair the grips on all my Leica, Nikon and Canon cameras are also peeling off. My lenses aren't safe either: my K 50mm f/1.2 has a loose rubber grip that I have recently replaced.
05-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wouldn't be so sure @Rondec.

The grips have peeled away to some extent on all my pentax SLRs. But to be fair the grips on all my Leica, Nikon and Canon cameras are also peeling off. My lenses aren't safe either: my K 50mm f/1.2 has a loose rubber grip that I have recently replaced.
I'm sure everything wears out eventually. I just haven't seen much problem to this point and I use my gear a lot.
05-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddbarchitect Quote
Well, I purchased a new K3II about a month ago, and I had the mirror start flapping in the middle of taking pictures the other day. I had to pull the battery to get it to stop.
If your experience is that of the K-3 then, you're the first to report it. Like I said, my experience is the same with the other k-3II owners. My mirror started flapping while my camera was set to single shot mode and I was shooting one shot after another continuously. I believe it was about the 4th or 5th shot when it started flapping. However, when I released the shutter it stopped. I tried to replicate it several times but it never recurred again and I hope it will never happen again. If you're under warranty you might need to send it back.
05-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm sure everything wears out eventually
I just seem to wear things out faster than others...which is cause for introspection, I treat my Noctilux 50mm f/0.95 ASPH with the same amount of care I treat my A 50mm f/1.7. I do not coddle my gear, lenses and cameras are tools: if they break they can be repaired...but you won't find me kicking my cameras or lenses around the local soccer field either*.

*With my predilection for high quality metal over-engineered lenses, I'd probably break a toe before the lens suffered any permanent damage.
05-12-2016, 02:50 AM   #45

My K-3 II is about 11 months old, about 7000 on the shutter count, in round numbers.
About a week ago when shooting single shot mode, when I pressed the shutter button it went off just like it was in continuous shooting mode, sounded just like 6-7 shots, and ceased when I released the shutter button. No images were recorded.
A switch off, then on again and confirmed all the settings were as I thought, TAv, spot focus, spot meter, single shot mode.
I contacted the distributor via their web site contact facility, explained what had happened. I have not heard a word from them.
I'm not impressed. I have had issues with my 1.4xTC as well and their response on that has also been very poor.

Cheers,
Terry