Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

Original Poster
K3II has a very good iso 1600 and that is good enough for me.
Price point... 645?!. . . OMG. . . Nikon D750, 24-70 / 2.8 VR, 70-200 / 2.8 VR kit is too big for me.
I hope that Pentax will produce a new lens...soon

Last edited by Surovi; 12-26-2015 at 08:22 AM.
12-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #17
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I was just pointing out the incongruity of comparing the Canon 6D to the Nikon D7200 and K3II. A full frame DSLR will always have a one stop SNR advantage over APS-C.
ok, point taken.
12-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #18

I'm finding it really frustrating that you have to wait for about 1 sec before you can zoom in quick preview image. If you try to zoom before the delete etc. icons appear on screen turning rear dial causes the aperture to change. I'm using K3 ii and shooting in manual mode and raw images.
12-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemppo Quote
I'm finding it really frustrating that you have to wait for about 1 sec before you can zoom in quick preview image.
The only solution I can suggest for this is to get a faster SD card, that or develop some patience. The Canon 5DSR takes a while to display its images too you know.

12-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The only solution I can suggest for this is to get a faster SD card, that or develop some patience. The Canon 5DSR takes a while to display its images too you know.
The image shows up on screen right after shot but it takes about a second for the icons to appear and during that time turning rear dial effects to aperture. K5 did not have this feature (of course K3 images are larger)... I'm using Class10 Sandisk Extreme Plus memorycard.

It's just annoying feature when shooting in nature and face a quick situation and have to zoom the image quickly after shot to check for focus and so on. Then next shot gets dark because of this...
12-29-2015, 03:06 AM   #21

Original Poster
What about rubber grip?
Does it peeling away from the body after a few months or years?
12-29-2015, 03:45 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have owned a K3 for a little over two years and it is still a really good camera. No issues that I know of. There were some problems early on with mirror flapping, but those have been fixed and I haven't seen any reports of those with the K3 II.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Surovi Quote
What about rubber grip?
Does it peeling away from the body after a few months or years?
It doesn't. The build on these cameras is really sturdy and they hold up quite well against time and the elements.

12-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-5 has been working hard for five years now with no signs of the rubber grip being an issue. Only had the K-3II for a couple of months but it's ok so far...

The 6D/D7200/K-3II comparison is apples and oranges, and therefore digitalis has a fair point in introducing the 645z. If there is a hankering for a so-called 'full frame' then surely compare it with others of the same format - so that at the moment, Pentax doesn't feature. Let's also not forget the lens, which of course plays a huge part.

Handling and ergonomics are also key: this is why for me in the APS-c arena, the K-3II is a hands-down winner over the D7200. Add a top lens and process the RAWs in the dedicated DCU software, and you get pin-sharp images (especially with pixel-shift) with no intrusive noise up to and beyond ISO1600.
12-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks!

Apples and oranges....I like both
Pentax K3II, Canon EOS 6D and Nikon D7200 are good cameras.
Well build, Pentax is the best, Nikon the second one, but 6d is good enough.
Image Q...go another way, and my conclusion is the same.
All three are good enough and each has advantages and disadvantages.
I compare what works for me, not what "I should".
12-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #25

I can´t get my astrotracer to work. Basically because I´ve never been able to make the precise calibration Anyone else got the same problem? I tried everywhere, high, low altitude, pointing north, etc. GPS logging seems to be working fine, though I think it might be that I got a fail camera...
03-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #26
JC5

I was looking at upgrading my K50 to a K3 but have been put off by reports of "mirror flap" problems in other threads. Does anyone know if Pentax has fixed this problem?
03-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JC5 Quote
I was looking at upgrading my K50 to a K3 but have been put off by reports of "mirror flap" problems in other threads. Does anyone know if Pentax has fixed this problem?
Mirror flop is a very isolated issue with the K-3. It's unlikely that a camera you pick up will be affected by it, and recent firmware updates address the issue by automatically shutting the camera off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #28
JC5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Mirror flop is a very isolated issue with the K-3. It's unlikely that a camera you pick up will be affected by it, and recent firmware updates address the issue by automatically shutting the camera off.
Thanks for your reply Adam, thats good to know.
03-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Manguitom Quote
I can´t get my astrotracer to work. Basically because I´ve never been able to make the precise calibration Anyone else got the same problem? I tried everywhere, high, low altitude, pointing north, etc. GPS logging seems to be working fine, though I think it might be that I got a fail camera...

No... the calibration is just a pain. I've done it twice now. Rather than 180 deg's like the firmware message says, rotate it 360 degs... also there is a time limit, and the camera seems picky about WHICH directions it turns. Advice is to go all 6 directions in under 1 minute with at least 360 rotation per direction. That should get it calibrated even if the camera is being stubborn.
03-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The calibration is a bit of a hassle but I have not found it too difficult on either the K-3ii or the K-3 with the O-GPS unit. You just have to be under open sky and carefully twist the camera the way the screen directs. It usually says OK for me after the first sequence.