Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #31

@Zafar Have you tried shooting in jpg mode? Try switching to recording as jpg and that would solve most of your problems and should be ample quality for wedding shots.

I shoot military fast jets as a hobby and use only jpg and can get pictures that even at 100% the detail is excellent and could print A0 size.

07-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
@Zafar Have you tried shooting in jpg mode? Try switching to recording as jpg and that would solve most of your problems and should be ample quality for wedding shots.

I shoot military fast jets as a hobby and use only jpg and can get pictures that even at 100% the detail is excellent and could print A0 size.
With jpg I can store something like 57K photos at highest lowest quality on a 32GB card - that's pretty lol

I will say this: *maybe* one day - what I really should do, is to shoot some none critical wedding related stuff in jpg, so I can relate/compare better.

But with the current understanding and experience I have with jpg, my standing point is: I'll never use jpg.

Edit: wups, my bad with the jpg quality and amount - yeah, I'm really not used to jpg :PPP
Save

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 07-12-2016 at 05:04 PM.
07-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote

ROFLMAO Well, at least thanks for showing confidence in me

That's a very good and curious question. I had a look and the differences are marginal - something like 33.1MB vs 33.6MB, with the DNG file being the larger one. As for the writing:

Lexar Pro 95MB/s, 2 cards - DNG: 40secs
Lexar Pro 95MB/s, 2 cards - PEF: 41secs

Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s, 2 cards - DNG 45 secs
Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s, 2 cards - PEF: 44 secs

I didn't do many re-runs and then there's timing inaccuracies, but all in all I'm concluding there is nothing to be gained by changing formats.
Save
I concur.

IIRC, you can record RAW on one SD card and Jpeg on the other. I wonder if this would help and/or be acceptable to you?
07-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by duncan1 Quote
I concur.

IIRC, you can record RAW on one SD card and Jpeg on the other. I wonder if this would help and/or be acceptable to you?
I actually thought it would make a noticeable difference, but no.

RAW + highest quality JPG: 42 secs
RAW + lowest quality jpg: 44 secs (second run and without formatting first: 52 secs)

Just for the lols:
JPG only, Highest quality: 27 secs.
JPG only, lowest quality: 10 secs

The "without reformatting" thing is something I noticed, that speeds change - like RAW only on dual cards with same photos on eash, all shot during same day/event and both cards were formatted prior to that day/event: 1 min 17 secs ...