Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I should point out that the pump action of short to long zooms resulting from long extending tubes is indeed extremely strong. If you zoom in and out quickly, as you would do when shooting football where players are far and near a lot, the resulting pumping strength could be nearly as strong as that of a bicycle pump. (Maybe not quite, but you can see what I mean). In a none sealed lens the pumping strength is somewhat mitigated because there are no seals to offer extra resistance.

When you zoom in very fast you create a partial vacuum inside the camera body and when air rushes back into the body through less than fully sealed spaces it takes water with it that was hanging around there . Once the water is distributed deep inside the body it simply cannot be expelled by any reverse pumping action. Consequently it will be accumulating. The body can't be totally sealed otherwise you would not be able to zoom in and out very well.

I bet you constantly sucked in water into the body by your fast zooming action. The best way to avoid this from happening, at least partially, is to zoom in and out as slowly as you can.

All demonstrations I have seen to demonstrate Pentax's water sealing by pouring water over the camera (and I have poured water over my own camera to wash off salt which accumulated during ocean sailing) is fine as long as the lens is not zoomed or any other part of the camera is being operated during the process and water is being toweled off before usage continues.

Cheers.
On my K-3 this is at the top rear dial - you feel the air and hear the sound when zooming. When water is coming from the top it will surely get sucked in right there. Put a cover over it and should be fine - at least I know where the most apparent weakspot is.

01-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
Forum Member

I've been to Scotland last year with my K-30. Seen some very bad conditions. Storm and rain. But my K 30 still works fine. It was funny to see all canon and nikon users, trying to protect their gear under their jackets and looking depressed, seeing me taking pictures An older man came to me and said: What are you doing? You can't take pictures in such a storm. I showed him that I could. Then he asked me where he could buy Pentax in Scotland Maybe he did...
01-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A few years ago when I had my K-5, I shot it in heavy rain with my DA* 50-135 and the camera was soaked with water hitting it pretty good. It was in Duluth, MN during some old ships show. But then again, I was only out there in the rain with my gear for about 30-45 minutes which isn't as extensive as op's.