Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I have found no difference between the Wasabi batteries and the Pentax in my usage. Worth noting however: the aftermarket chargers that come with the Wasabi batteries are quick chargers. Use them only when you really need to sacrifice longevity for recharge time.
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Agreed. If you're worried about compatibility, always charge with the official charger. My Pentax charger that came with my K-3 charges batteries up to 7.6 volts, but the generic charger that came with my batteries charges it to 8.4V. This might be for quicker charges or to squeeze a little extra battery life, but if you stick with the official charger you won't exceed the manufacture intended voltage (though I haven't had any issues either way).
I think the above quotes are very good advice. The only thing that I would add is that it is not only over-voltage that it is bad - it's also the extra internal heat generated within a rapidly-recharged battery that is also injurious.

[Well, it's maybe not actually extra heat per se -- the total amount of heat generated per charge might be the same -- but it may be the concentration of heat in a shorter amount of time that causes the temp to go higher.]

Regardless of which batteries you are using, use the Pentax trickle charger as much as possible, rather than one of the quick-fryers, er, um quick-chargers, that is...

01-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Regardless of which batteries you are using, use the Pentax trickle charger as much as possible, rather than one of the quick-fryers, er, um quick-chargers, that is...
I use the charger supplied with the Wasabi batteries which I like much more than the Pentax supplied charger. With the wasabi charger you don't need a cord to use the charger, just flip out the electrical prongs on the back and plug it in to a wall socket (in the USA). Much easier to carry in a pocket of my camera bag. So far after over a year all batteries are working well.

Larry
01-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Faster charge equals higher heat, and invariably reduces battery longevity. This is more related to wattage (voltage x current with current the more significant variable generally), not just voltage. If you have to use the Wasabi (which is a rebranded DSTE), it does have the smart charge circuitry if you need the quick charge. However, slow is going to preserve the batteries so Pentax charger is best when not in a hurry.

Historically, most threads here have indicated some concerns with the generics - but they seem to have improved over the years. Even some major generics have proven to be poor, though, such as Lenmar. The Wasabi/DSTE brands have been good, and Watson/Pearstone have proven excellent and highly durable. However, it clearly isn't the case that you should expect equal performance and longevity out of the cheapest generics.

It isn't surprising that OEM battery products come from China which is a world leader in l-ion tech, and rechargeables in general. Not that all the Chinese battery factories are excellent, but brands such as Gold Peak are among the leaders.
01-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all for the advice. In the end bought an original from Jessops (which is where I got the camera) for 56. Wanted to play safe as it's my first DSLR and there's a guy on Amazon who's experience with non-Pentax batteries is considerably worse than most of your stories :-(

01-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Grey Area Quote
Thanks all for the advice. In the end bought an original from Jessops (which is where I got the camera) for 56. Wanted to play safe as it's my first DSLR and there's a guy on Amazon who's experience with non-Pentax batteries is considerably worse than most of your stories :-(
Could you share a link to the story you mentioned?

You've piqued my interest, and I'm envisioning a K-3 with smoke trickling out of the battery door.
(Or would the smoke be contained by the weather sealing until the heat melts a hole out the side?)
01-06-2016, 12:35 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not quite THAT serious...but here you go;

Amazon.co.uk: Questions And Answers: I've had a few problems so apologise but have to ask; is this a genuine Pentax battery and if so approximately how long since manufacture? Thanks!
01-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #22

I have 2 GX-10 and 2 K-3 cameras and have been using Ebay sourced batteries for all of them.

When I bought the spare batteries for the GX-10s the market was a lot more reliable, with less chance of being caught out with low quality/capacity cells.

I have an automatic battery capacity tester with which I test all my batteries every year. The non original GX-10 batteries, which are now over 5 years old, still check at just over 1380mAH (marked 1750mAH), I never measured their capacity when new.

I bought one cheap battery for the K-3 marked, obviously false, 2500mAH just as a test. It measured at 1098mAH, so I contacted the seller and got an instant refund.
I then tried another seller and bought a 2 pack of 1900mAH batteries for 8.98. These checked out at 1489mAH and 1535mAH, so I take it there are 1500mAH cells fitted inside. I can live with that capacity for that price so bought another pack of 2, same results close to 1500mAH.

In storage none of these batteries lose any more of their charge (self discharge) than the Pentax originals.

The original Pentax K-3 batteries, marked 1860mAH, measure 1898mAH and 1872mAH.
01-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
I have 2 GX-10 and 2 K-3 cameras and have been using Ebay sourced batteries for all of them.

When I bought the spare batteries for the GX-10s the market was a lot more reliable, with less chance of being caught out with low quality/capacity cells.

I have an automatic battery capacity tester with which I test all my batteries every year. The non original GX-10 batteries, which are now over 5 years old, still check at just over 1380mAH (marked 1750mAH), I never measured their capacity when new.

I bought one cheap battery for the K-3 marked, obviously false, 2500mAH just as a test. It measured at 1098mAH, so I contacted the seller and got an instant refund.
I then tried another seller and bought a 2 pack of 1900mAH batteries for 8.98. These checked out at 1489mAH and 1535mAH, so I take it there are 1500mAH cells fitted inside. I can live with that capacity for that price so bought another pack of 2, same results close to 1500mAH.

In storage none of these batteries lose any more of their charge (self discharge) than the Pentax originals.

The original Pentax K-3 batteries, marked 1860mAH, measure 1898mAH and 1872mAH.
The measured mAH after charging doesn't really have a great deal of impact on how well the batteries perform under stress, or even in normal operation. The discharge profile is the best indicator. This is why Eneloops (and the Duracell equivalent) are so highly valued. Staying close to the initial voltage value is key. Also, stability at close to full discharge is important. A large ratio of "mirror flapping" episodes come from generics that are nearly exhausted. Not that the flapping is caused by the generics - as a nearly exhausted OEM battery can also trigger it. However, the correlation is comparatively strong regarding flapping and generics. (For the record, the main problem apparently is a main circuit board design flaw, but it appears a less-stable generic current flow is much more likely to trigger it.)

01-07-2016, 06:30 AM   #24

That is correct, I do not just do a straight discharge mAH/WH measurement. The batteries are put through several charge/discharge cycles (charged using the Pentax charger), are monitored at different variable discharge currents, the plateau voltage and slopes are also checked and the termination voltage/current is also varied.

The cheap batteries compare very favorably with the originals, although they terminate slightly sooner due to their lower capacity.
All the K-3 batteries have been in use for over 15 months and are showing no signs of deterioration.

Last edited by Stumpy; 01-07-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: include battery age
01-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #25

Even though the TO has gone with the original Pentax-battery already, I thought I would add my experience as well:
Just like Stumpy, I have had a GX10 for some years now and I bought a "cheap" backup battery for it. There is no brand mentioned on it but it says "NP-400 Li-ion Battery 7.4/1500mAh". I remember it workin just fine in the beginning with no noticeable difference (at least to me) in durability compared to the original. But after a year or so, the performance dropped dramatically. The original still works pretty well (it's almost 9 years old by now) but the "fake" loses it's charge very fast and I only carry it as an emergency backup. So after all, I think I will go for an original battery for my new camera this time. Or just fill up the batterygrip with good reachargable AAs