Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 12:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spare batteries

Should I be suspicious?

Pentax D-LI90 Battery (39830) - Wex Photographic

https://www.digi-quick.co.uk/index.php/pentax-k-3-ii-replacement-camera-batt...pzcaAlM_8P8HAQ

And if so - of which one?

Can someone recommend a supplier of a reliable spare battery for my K3-II please? Obviously I'd rather not pay the £55.00 if possible, but if that's what a genuine battery costs, then so be it.

01-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a very good price from wex for a genuine battery. Occasionally, the price can drop a bit on a Black Friday deal, but £70 is the usual price (the best Pentax suppliers in the UK are srsmicrosystems, park cameras, wex, and ffordes)

I've never bothered with the cheap knock off batteries myself, so can't really comment as to the quality/capacity of them. eBay is flooded with them...
01-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I salute the two of you (among others) who show such a die-hard brand loyalty - I on the other hand go for the lowest priced, generic brands available on eBay and knock on wood, I've never noticed any difference in function or the battery life from any of them. From Pentax line alone, I've purchased spare batteries for the K10D, K-5 and the Q, and spare batteries for the Lumix G2 and the G6. Five different batteries for five different cameras without encountering any problems, makes me suspect about the only thing different between the Pentax brand battery and the generic, no-name brand, is the label.
01-04-2016, 02:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I salute the two of you (among others) who show such a die-hard brand loyalty - I on the other hand go for the lowest priced, generic brands available on eBay and knock on wood, I've never noticed any difference in function or the battery life from any of them. From Pentax line alone, I've purchased spare batteries for the K10D, K-5 and the Q, and spare batteries for the Lumix G2 and the G6. Five different batteries for five different cameras without encountering any problems, makes me suspect about the only thing different between the Pentax brand battery and the generic, no-name brand, is the label.
I agree

I have used several no-name alternatives for several years along with the genuine batteries supplied with my cameras from new. K-7 and K-5IIs. I have noticed no ill effects or decreased performance from the substitute brands. All 5, 2 originals and 3 substitutes are still going strong. One a similar note, I have replaced genuine laptop batteries in the past with generic types at a fraction of the price, again with no ill effects with similar longevity. Another no-no is using off brand phone chargers. So far so good, in fact the off brand one has outlasted the original, from a certain fruit company, for 3 years as opposed to 6 months. It may nor be everybody's cup of tea and I make no recommendation for anyone else to follow but that is my experience.

01-04-2016, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You are better off with genuine if you can afford it.
01-04-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had very good experiences with the Watson-brand batteries sold through B&H; with my K-50 and now with my K-3, I rotate the Watson batteries with my OEM batteries and cannot tell the difference in the number of shots.
01-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have used generic batteries alongside the "originals" since I bought my K-5II 3½ years ago. They have worked perfectly and I can't distinguish their performance from the orignals. Most of the batteries are manufactured in China, including the PENTAX originals, so why waste money.

01-04-2016, 04:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used Wasabi batteries in my K-50 and K-3 with no problems. I've noticed a slightly shorter battery life from the Wasabi batteries nothing significant. My take on the factory brand batteries is that they were probably made and labeled by the same folks who make the "knock offs". You don't actually think the OEMs make their own batteries, do you? Why pay the difference if you can't see the difference other than to post some place that you use only genuine Pentax labeled batteries.

Larry
01-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I bought a couple extra generic batteries (I don't remember the brand) for use with my K20D several years ago, along with one genuine Pentax extra battery. I basically rotated through them, one after another, and I found that the generics did not seem to hold their charge as long or they just simply "ran out of steam" sooner. This (lack of) performance continued to get worse over time and I eventually discarded the generics. I have since picked up a third ("pre-owned") OEM K20D battery, and all three get rotated through the charger and all still do very well.

I now own a K-3 (for which I have bought a couple of genuine extra batteries), but I still use the K20D, especially for flash, macro, and MF shooting, and I charge up both cam's batteries in rotation, and they all continue to perk along nicely (and some of the K20D batteries are quite a few years old by now).

So, my own conclusion (admittedly based only upon a couple of batteries of one un-remembered generic brand) is that batteries are ~not~ all the same. Obviously, YMMV. Furthermore, if, as some Pentaxers have found, certain generic batteries of certain brands do indeed work as well as OEM's (and perhaps are even made in the same factories to the exact same specs), my point is still that at least some are ~not~ ~all~ the same. But, once again, YMMV.
01-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've used Wasabi batteries. I've noticed a slightly shorter battery life from the Wasabi batteries nothing significant.
My experience with Wasabi also. No big deal if battery life is shorter. That is why you buy rechargeables. And......they are cheap. Wasabi batteries are available from Amazon.
01-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found no difference between the Wasabi batteries and the Pentax in my usage. Worth noting however: the aftermarket chargers that come with the Wasabi batteries are quick chargers. Use them only when you really need to sacrifice longevity for recharge time.
01-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have used generic brands of batteries for years in Pentax , Nikon,Olympus,Fujifilm and Sony with no change in functionality only a hugh noticable difference in price.
I use the same Supplier and Brands that Wiley Coyote uses - ACME DYNAMITE & STUFF CO. or Whoever has the best prices.
01-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have had very good experiences with the Watson-brand batteries sold through B&H; with my K-50 and now with my K-3, I rotate the Watson batteries with my OEM batteries and cannot tell the difference in the number of shots.
Same here, I've only recently gotten the Watson, but so far notice no difference whatsoever from the original.
01-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I get my spare batteries from Microglobe in London. They are grey market, I'm sure, but absolutely genuine Pentax batteries, and current price for the D-Li90 is £26.52 + P&P. I bought two over the Christmas period...
01-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I have found no difference between the Wasabi batteries and the Pentax in my usage. Worth noting however: the aftermarket chargers that come with the Wasabi batteries are quick chargers. Use them only when you really need to sacrifice longevity for recharge time.
Agreed. If you're worried about compatibility, always charge with the official charger. My Pentax charger that came with my K-3 charges batteries up to 7.6 volts, but the generic charger that came with my batteries charges it to 8.4V. This might be for quicker charges or to squeeze a little extra battery life, but if you stick with the official charger you won't exceed the manufacture intended voltage (though I haven't had any issues either way).

In all my time buying aftermarket batteries I always check reviews and buy the popular ones that have sold well. I haven't noticed any significant difference, and some even last longer than the OEM batteries. Even if there is a slight drop in battery life, at less than half the cost you can still beat the total time of an OEM battery. Currently I use DSTE batteries which is the best deal I could find and they work as well as Wasabi's I've used in the past (--link--).

I like having at least two spares in the field as well. When I have to change the battery I get a reminder of how much I have left so I can estimate if I need to slow down or can keep shooting at the same rate, and when I have to put in my last battery I know if I need to be more frugal.