Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #1

Does the K-3 provide enough power for the Rode VideoMic GO?

Hi everyone,

First post here, so I hope this is the right section of the forum:

I need a shotgun microphone for the K-3 and figured that the Rode VideoMic GO would be the best choice, considering my tasks and budget.
However, it needs 2.5V output on the audio socket while the K-3 seems to only provide 2.0V.

Does anyone have experience with this combination so far and if it's working? Or can you recommend an alternative in the same price/quality range?

Thanks for your help!

01-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot comment on the Rode VideoMic GO.But I use the Rode VideoMic Pro shotgun. I posted my review at Rode VideoMic Pro shotgun reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database. The VideoMc Pro has its own 9V battery.

I shared my experience at; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/275789...o-shotgun.html. In particular, I alert you that mounting the shotgun on the flash hotshoe might pck up some low frequency linked with the SR:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/279013-sr-characteristic-s...uency-ies.html

Hope that the comments may help.

Last edited by hcc; 01-09-2016 at 01:48 AM.
01-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Opteka VM-200 is about the same price, 9v powered, so it provides plenty of input. They are well matched - and the Opteka pretty much matches the $200 Rode mic. The only downside is the weight - very heavy. If I was in your situation, I would also consider the Olympus DM-620 recorder with the Tresmic system. I use the older Olympus LS-7 (a slightly higher end recorder) and the results are very good on the K-3 (audio out - so I end up with discrete and camera recording). The Olympus PCM recorders in the $120-200 range are stellar.
05-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good question re the K-3 and passive mics.

I'm considering the rode videomicro 🎤 and wonder if anyone has used the passive Rode mics like the go or videomicro successfully in the K-3?