Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wonder if the next 645 will have pixel shift.
Having standalone pixel shift capability will give the competition a run for its money. With Hasselblad Multi shot backs there is the annoying restriction that Multi-Shot shooting requires the digital back to be tethered to a computer running Phocus software.

01-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
Unregistered User

If only looking to IQ I guess the K-3 II is enought but when it comes to what a larger image area gives when looking at depth of field, noise, tonal range and diffraction the K3 no longer has the same appeal as a FF or MF. I shoot alot Pentax 6x7 and the different look the images has compared is huge. The FF will be preordered when released. A 645Z II will be my birthdaypresent when I hit 50. ...I wish...
01-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Who needs a full frame
Not me, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted it
(I won't refuse any gifts of FF cameras or lenses though...)
01-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not me, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted it
(I won't refuse any gifts of FF cameras or lenses though...)
Get in line dude....

01-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The only thing that matters is can the FF shoot squirrels. Ricoh answered that with their sample photos...what the heck else do you need to know?

Regards!
01-20-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
what the heck else do you need to know?
Cats. it has to shoot cats as well. Not everyone has squirrels.

Oh, and cheese, it has to be good at shooting cheese or I won't buy it. It would be nice if Ricoh provided some cheese shots for the next teaser.
01-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Cats. it has to shoot cats as well. Not everyone has squirrels.

Oh, and cheese, it has to be good at shooting cheese or I won't buy it. It would be nice if Ricoh provided some cheese shots for the next teaser.

And it needs to be able to write the goodest grammar with the properest spelling, and write it differently in the Americas and Great Britain's area...

01-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #23

FF is not a holy grail. If I were to choose between FF 36 MPx and, say, APS-H 4:3 with K-3 pixel density (so also 36 MPx) I would most likely choose the latter one. If it was significantly cheaper and smaller I would definitely choose it (it would fit almost all or simply *all* of APS-C lenses without SR due to more square resembling ratio). It's just a wish, anyway...
And even APS-C has its obvious pros, i.e. price, size, ...and it works with FF lenses whilst otherwise is usually a bad idea.
01-20-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
FF is not a holy grail. If I were to choose between FF 36 MPx and, say, APS-H 4:3 with K-3 pixel density (so also 36 MPx) I would most likely choose the latter one. If it was significantly cheaper and smaller I would definitely choose it (it would fit almost all or simply *all* of APS-C lenses without SR due to more square resembling ratio). It's just a wish, anyway...
And even APS-C has its obvious pros, i.e. price, size, ...and it works with FF lenses whilst otherwise is usually a bad idea.

Damien Lovegrove shoots Fuji 16mp's... and has stated that 16mp's is all he needs. He said most people that worry about mp's, you can see it in their work, they are more worried about their kit than their photos and it shows. (Paraphrased.)

I only mention him because 99.9% of the people lusting after a FF or medium format Pentax will never shoot work anywhere near his level. He's got me re-thinking a lot of what I took for granted. Prophotonut.com

He also says lens quality is more important than number of Mp's. And a lot of other things. He kinda is the antidote to forum stupidity. (Not this forum, forums in general... )

As a lot of you know I've been toying with FF's and other stuff for the past few months as I gear up for a busy professional year ahead, the first in quite a few. Damien's work and opinions and my own experience have me completely committed to APS-c. And my preference for the Pentax DSLR's has me trying to emulate a Fuji kit with Pentax lens choices. I have a Fuji kit as well, but the proof will be in the shooting this year.

The important take away for me, though, is it's not a FF vs. APS-c fight. FF already lost... It's a mirrorless vs. DSLR fight in APS-c and it's really just a question if the Pentax lens selection can work with the gauntlet that the fast Fuji primes have thrown down.
01-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went ahead and took the fuller frame route with a 645D. The Z was too expensive for me but the D was attainable and I'm loving the output. 24x36 or even 32x48 prints look great.
But if the upcoming FF allows similar IQ with a smaller package I'll be pretty interested. I'm still digging out of the 645D hole so I'll have time to see how the new one does for others before jumping in.
01-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I went ahead and took the fuller frame route with a 645D. The Z was too expensive for me but the D was attainable and I'm loving the output. 24x36 or even 32x48 prints look great.
But if the upcoming FF allows similar IQ with a smaller package I'll be pretty interested. I'm still digging out of the 645D hole so I'll have time to see how the new one does for others before jumping in.

I've never shot a digital medium format, but everything I've read puts it at ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than FF or APS-C. Just like with film, it's the lenses and the magnification factor required of the final image product.

FF is single digit percentages of IQ increase, Medium Format is Orders of magnitude. That's the way I think of it anyway.

You won't notice much increase going from APS-c to FF, but you will notice a significant decrease going from MF to FF. That's the consensus of all I've read, be interesting to see what you come up with.

Personally I'd run the MF with the APS-c as the alternate. Best of both worlds. FF is almost the worst of both worlds. Almost as big and heavy as MF, just a little bit better than APS-c.
01-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #27
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I've never shot a digital medium format, but everything I've read puts it at ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than FF or APS-C. Just like with film, it's the lenses and the magnification factor required of the final image product.

FF is single digit percentages of IQ increase, Medium Format is Orders of magnitude. That's the way I think of it anyway.

You won't notice much increase going from APS-c to FF, but you will notice a significant decrease going from MF to FF. That's the consensus of all I've read, be interesting to see what you come up with.

Personally I'd run the MF with the APS-c as the alternate. Best of both worlds. FF is almost the worst of both worlds. Almost as big and heavy as MF, just a little bit better than APS-c.
You say that the FF will be big and heavy. Why would you make that assumption? The thickness of the camera will be the same as before with a larger mirror and prism. That's it. When it comes to lenses all Pentax lenses will yield a higher resolution than the K3 can today. Don't get me wrong, I totally love my K3 and will only sell it when there is a new aps-c out there, but I will get a FF because bigger is better when it comes to photography. And there are the same engineers that made the K3 that are working on the FF. I am prepared to be amazed. There will ofcourse be a lesser jump between APS-C to FF compared to MF but there will be a visible difference. Just compare Canikons APS-C to there FFs. Maybe doing landscape will not give you more IQ but certainly you will gain alot when doing portraits, night or wildlife. A stop or two on the ISO, shorter DOF with cheaper glass, larger DOF due to less diffraction etc...

Well, those are my thoughts when reading your message.

EDIT

After reading your message again I get another interpretation of it but I let it stay for postarity...
01-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll reserve judgement on the FF until it's out but yeah, that is what I'm doing now and it's good to have both for different kinds of shoots.
01-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
You say that the FF will be big and heavy. Why would you make that assumption? The thickness of the camera will be the same as before with a larger mirror and prism. That's it. When it comes to lenses all Pentax lenses will yield a higher resolution than the K3 can today. Don't get me wrong, I totally love my K3 and will only sell it when there is a new aps-c out there, but I will get a FF because bigger is better when it comes to photography. And there are the same engineers that made the K3 that are working on the FF. I am prepared to be amazed. There will ofcourse be a lesser jump between APS-C to FF compared to MF but there will be a visible difference. Just compare Canikons APS-C to there FFs. Maybe doing landscape will not give you more IQ but certainly you will gain alot when doing portraits, night or wildlife. A stop or two on the ISO, shorter DOF with cheaper glass, larger DOF due to less diffraction etc...

Well, those are my thoughts when reading your message.

EDIT

After reading your message again I get another interpretation of it but I let it stay for postarity...

The LENSES are the main problem. Compare the DA*16-50 to the FA 24-70 Tamron/Pentax. Or the DA* 50-135 to any of the 70-200's. That's almost a doubling of size and big increase in weight to accomplish the same thing.

How much resolution do you need? Are you really exceeding the capabilities of your K3? Really?

Regardless of who the engineers are who designed the FF, I think we are going to see the beginning of a shift in the user interface that we have been used to in this new FF. I believe the underlying design philosophy is changing, and I'm not sure it's for the better. But we shall see. The jury is still out, as they say.

As for portraits requiring FF, Damien Lovegrove.

http://www.lovegrovephotography.com/

Looking at his stuff, the format or size of your sensor is really meaningless. Just sayin'
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #30
Unregistered User

The LENSES are the main problem. Compare the DA*16-50 to the FA 24-70 Tamron/Pentax. Or the DA* 50-135 to any of the 70-200's. That's almost a doubling of size and big increase in weight to accomplish the same thing.

How much resolution do you need? Are you really exceeding the capabilities of your K3? Really?

Regardless of who the engineers are who designed the FF, I think we are going to see the beginning of a shift in the user interface that we have been used to in this new FF. I believe the underlying design philosophy is changing, and I'm not sure it's for the better. But we shall see. The jury is still out, as they say.

As for portraits requiring FF, Damien Lovegrove.

Damien Lovegrove Photographer

Looking at his stuff, the format or size of your sensor is really meaningless. Just sayin'
How much resolution I need? Well, as much as possible. If beeing able to crop hard and get high resolution I am all for it. Yes, some lenses are bigger due to FF but not all. FA77 is small.

Your reference to Damien Lovegrove I do not understand, please explain.