Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'm still waiting for a gutsy purveyor of 28×28mm sensors: no more rotating the camera for a shot and thanks but I'll crop later. I'd expect nearly every DA lens to manage 28mm on a side.. heck maybe even 30
Kodak did it with their 126 format film cartridge cameras. Imagine if instead of the film cartridge you could drop in a digital module into those old cameras.

01-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
what make the fuji pro and the pentax k-3ii not?

fast

prime

lenses

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 10:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Like John, I'm not quite understanding this.

For example, the Nikon D300 has been long considered the epitome of a "pro" APS-C DSLR.

And the Pentax K-3 is certainly just as durable and capable (at the very least) as the Fuji X-T1, and has a line of "designed for APS-C" lenses, as well as lenses that cover the FF image circle.

And, just like Pentax, Fuji does not have a "pro-level" service network.

I have no problem with the cameras, they are pro level for sure.

All Pentax really needs is a fast 16mm, 24, and 35mm APS-c specific lens.

And maybe a refresh of the 16-50 and 50-135.

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 10:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest thing that makes no Pentax a "professional" camera at this point is the lack of support. If you have gear that needs service, the turn around time is pretty slow. Rental companies are few and far between. There is, I think, some sort of Professional Service program that is available if you get enough of your income from photography, but for everyone else, if you drop your camera and 50-135, you will wait 4 to 6 weeks, like everyone else for Precision to get your gear back to you.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't shoot professionally with a Pentax camera -- you can and many do, but the road is just a little harder than with some other brands. (not sure why the D500 and 7D MK II aren't professional APS-C cameras though)...

This for sure.

But to answer everyone having a cow about what I said...

It's not that the Pentax crop gear we have now "is not pro level." IT IS!

BUT, I would have preferred that Pentax pursue really expanding and perfecting and catering to their PRO APS-C DSLR system, which NO OTHER COMPANY has done, and therefore offering truly something unique and desirable to the market.

Instead they are now 10 years behind the curve, battling against truly well and established lines of FF cameras, with probably a majority of people who really wanted a Pentax FF having already bought a Canon, Nikon, or Sony.

I know I have started migrating over to Fuji, not because I want mirrorless, but because I can 1 stop shop for a 16 1.4, 23 1.4, 35, 1.4 and 56 1.2. I'd rather have just bought those lenses for my K3's, but Pentax doesn't make them... (I know there's the 55 1.4 and that's about it unless I start shooting Sigma and Samyang, but not quite the same thing.)
01-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
fast

prime

lenses[COLOR="Silver"]
That's an incredibly weak argument especially since Fuij cameras don't offer any image stabilization.
01-24-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The biggest thing that makes no Pentax a "professional" camera at this point is the lack of support. If you have gear that needs service, the turn around time is pretty slow.
So, if you're a pro, you have back up right?

Because of the price of pentax gear, there is absolutely no excuse for not having a workable back-up for any lens you use professionally. When I see people complaining about lack of service, I'm thinking , those guys aren't pros. If you're a Canon or Nikon guy with your $15,000 600 ƒ4, ya you want quick turnaround on service, because you probably don't own two of them. But complaining about turn around time on Pentax gear? If my 60-250 goes down, and my 70-210, and 18-135 absolutely won't do, I send it off and either rent one or put one on the credit card,(and write it off) because I need it to make money and it's not that expensive. If I don't need it to make money then I'm not a pro, and I should probably just quit whining and complaining.

There are more people throwing around this "no service thing" that aren't pros than are. A real pro would be embarrassed to admit he only had one lens for the job and it had to be fixed immediately or it was going to cost him money. How would that help his/her credibility? Real pros have a plan, and experience in trouble shooting life's little disasters. I'm not hiring some guy who is going to say " I can't do the job you hired me for, my lens broke." Beware of anyone putting forward that argument. You don't want to copy that mindset. And you definitely don't want to hire them.

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2016 at 10:50 AM.
01-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with probably a majority of people who really wanted a Pentax FF having already bought a Canon, Nikon, or Sony.
that wouldn't be very sensible if they really wanted a Pentax FF! - Joking apart, it's about more than the camera - I couldn't afford to replace all my lenses, the more expensive ones of which cover FF, as well as a FF body. I do want a Pentax FF - whether I can afford one is another matter, but changing brands would be a worse, not a better option for me than waiting..
01-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I have started migrating over to Fuji
OK, then why are you shouting on your way out the door?
01-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So we don't lose track of where he's going next. It's tough to keep up.

01-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So, if you're a pro, you have back up right?

Because of the price of pentax gear, there is absolutely no excuse for not having a workable back-up for any lens you use professionally. When I see people complaining about lack of service, I'm thinking , those guys aren't pros. If you're a Canon or Nikon guy with your $15,000 600 ƒ4, ya you want quick turnaround on service, because you probably don't own two of them. But complaining about turn around time on Pentax gear? If my 60-250 goes down, and my 70-210, and 18-135 absolutely won't do, I send it off and either rent one or put one on the credit card,(and write it off) because I need it to make money and it's not that expensive. If I don't need it to make money then I'm not a pro, and I should probably just quit whining and complaining.

There are more people throwing around this "no service thing" that aren't pros than are. A real pro would be embarrassed to admit he only had one lens for the job and it had to be fixed immediately or it was going to cost him money. How would that help his/her credibility? Real pros have a plan, and experience in trouble shooting life's little disasters. I'm not hiring some guy who is going to say " I can't do the job you hired me for, my lens broke." Beware of anyone putting forward that argument. You don't want to copy that mindset. And you definitely don't want to hire them.
I don't shoot professionally, although my wife does and we do have a lot of redundancy in our lenses and bodies that work for back up if the K3/K5 II are not available. That said, I'm sorry if I am down on pentax's service, but after dealing with Precision for several issues last year into this year, I have to say clearly that they do a poor job, both of repairing items correctly the first time, communicating what they are actually doing, and having decent turn around time. I hear things are better in Canada and I am glad for it. I hear as well, that the situation is changing in the US in the future and I hope that is true.

I have been a Pentax proponent for a long time and will continue to be so, but that doesn't mean that I think their service in the United States is good, because it isn't currently.
01-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That's an incredibly weak argument especially since Fuij cameras don't offer any image stabilization.

It's why I bought a Fuji X-T1 and 16, 23, 35 and 56 instead of Pentax lenses.

I would think that Pentax themselves would find that pretty bad from their perspective as well. That's $4900 USD that went to Fuji instead of Pentax. And that's just me. I would have RATHER bought more Pentax.

So, not a weak argument at all.

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Did I SAY I was NOT USING or SELLING my Pentax gear? Shouting because some people are interpreting things I'm NOT SAYING.
01-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I don't shoot professionally, although my wife does and we do have a lot of redundancy in our lenses and bodies that work for back up if the K3/K5 II are not available. That said, I'm sorry if I am down on pentax's service, but after dealing with Precision for several issues last year into this year, I have to say clearly that they do a poor job, both of repairing items correctly the first time, communicating what they are actually doing, and having decent turn around time. I hear things are better in Canada and I am glad for it. I hear as well, that the situation is changing in the US in the future and I hope that is true.

I have been a Pentax proponent for a long time and will continue to be so, but that doesn't mean that I think their service in the United States is good, because it isn't currently.
I guess I just hate seeing Pentax singled out. You seem to know Pentax, although I'm not sure why, but you don't know what service non-Pentax customers in the same price bracket are receiving. Lensrentals.com doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of anybody. IN the old days, I knew a guy. My guess is there are so many brands models etc, there are no "guys" these days. There's just too much to know for one guy to be up on it all. My uncle got out of the television repair business for the same reason. To many brands, too many models, can't afford all those repair manuals.
01-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #56
Veteran Member

So we don't lose track of where he's going next. It's tough to keep up.

AGAIN, where did I say I was NOT using Pentax anymore? Please show me.

My signature line is current gear.
01-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #57
Pentaxian

AGAIN, where did I say I was NOT using Pentax anymore? Please show me.
Yes, you're an experimental kind of guy.... so tel us, how much difference do those wide Fuji lenses make to your images, do you have a couple of examples that would stand out for us?

Or is it just better AF in low light and stuff like that, ease of use rather than better IQ?
01-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I just hate seeing Pentax singled out. You seem to know Pentax, although I'm not sure why, but you don't know what service non-Pentax customers in the same price bracket are receiving. Lensrentals.com doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of anybody. IN the old days, I knew a guy. My guess is there are so many brands models etc, there are no "guys" these days. There's just too much to know for one guy to be up on it all. My uncle got out of the television repair business for the same reason. To many brands, too many models, can't afford all those repair manuals.
I happen to have had some bad luck this last year and had to have a DA 40 limited, DFA 24-70, AF 360 flash and K3 all repaired in the same calendar year. Length of time for repairs ran between 4 weeks and 5 months. Two of the repairs were not done correctly the first time and required me to send the lenses back. One of the repairs (the K3) should have been done under warranty, but Precision screwed up and charged me for the repair. Communication is was dismal.

Maybe things are as bad for Canon and Nikon, but that doesn't make this good service.

I'm not switching. Pentax gear is reliable and doesn't require servicing often, but I certainly would be anything but excited to use Precision again.
01-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Yes, you're an experimental kind of guy.... so tel us, how much difference do those wide Fuji lenses make to your images, do you have a couple of examples that would stand out for us?

Or is it just better AF in low light and stuff like that, ease of use rather than better IQ?

23mm F2.0, ISO 3200 1/100th

23mm F2.0, ISO 2500 1/60th

56mm F1.2, 3200 iso 1/125th

56mm F1.2, 2500 iso 1/125th

01-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #60
Pentaxian

I happen to have had some bad luck this last year and had to have a DA 40 limited, DFA 24-70, AF 360 flash and K3 all repaired in the same calendar year. Length of time for repairs ran between 4 weeks and 5 months. Two of the repairs were not done correctly the first time and required me to send the lenses back. One of the repairs (the K3) should have been done under warranty, but Precision screwed up and charged me for the repair. Communication is was dismal.

Maybe things are as bad for Canon and Nikon, but that doesn't make this good service.

I'm not switching. Pentax gear is reliable and doesn't require servicing often, but I certainly would be anything but excited to use Precision again.
Damn, that's just nasty.

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

23mm F2.0, ISO 3200 1/100th

23mm F2.0, ISO 2500 1/60th

56mm F1.2, 3200 iso 1/125th

I'm not sure I need every lens to be ƒ1.2, but it would be nice to have at least one or two. It does bring something to the table.