Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 back lcd timing

There's something that's been on the back of my mind for some time now..

The back LCD will seem to turn off after random intervals - especially, I think, when the lens cap was on.. And the timing seemed to get stranger when I have set the 'raw/fx' button for the top lcd - and/or put the GPS unit on. .... It happened no matter what i set the "meter operating time" to.

When I first got it, I though I might have had a bad unit. But outside of that, it's been ok so far. No mirror-flap issue yet - so that's good.

I haven't shot with my DSLR's in a while, so my memory is fuzzy on the specifics by now.

I've since chalked it down to: 1) Just a fluke, or more possibly 2) it's some firmware set thing and it's doing what it's supposed to do - just that I haven't found the manual to mention anything about it yet.

Soooo...
Does anyone have any insight into this seemingly random timing issue? Is it something known?

01-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

What version of firmware are you running?
01-18-2016, 01:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The latest.. v1.21

I think when I got it, it was an earlier version - but that was when I noticed it. That didn't change when upgrading.

After a half-press to get the meter going - is the back LCD supposed to remain on for a set number of seconds? And what might that be? .... I seem to remember that changing the settings for auto-power-off and whatnot had no effect on it either.
01-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I just played with my K-3 and it does the same thing: LCD turns off after about 30 seconds of inactivity. It comes right back on as soon as I operate any button. Never thought this might be an issue. Can't find any setting/adjustment for this either.

01-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Isn't this just the auto power off setting? (p 29 of the manual, memo section). You can adjust the auto power off setting in the menu system
01-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Isn't this just the auto power off setting? (p 29 of the manual, memo section). You can adjust the auto power off setting in the menu system
Possibly. OP said changing that didn't change behavior. I forgot to check what mine is set to.
01-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Possibly. OP said changing that didn't change behavior. I forgot to check what mine is set to.
No, he said, "no matter what i set the "meter operating time" to" which is a completely different function.
01-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
No, he said, "no matter what i set the "meter operating time" to" which is a completely different function.
See the post in which he answers my question about firmware and also says :

".... I seem to remember that changing the settings for auto-power-off and whatnot had no effect on it either."

01-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay. Got home. Checked the "Auto Power Off" setting. It was set to 30 minutes, so this is not the setting that controls the rear LCD.
Note that, unlike when powering off, it is only the rear LCD that is turning off; the top LCD stays on until the actual "power off."
For example, with Auto Power off set for 1 minute, the rear LCD turns off after 30 seconds of inactivity while the top display stays active. After another 30 seconds, the top display then turns off.

Given that both my newly rebuilt K-3 and new K-3ii both display the same behavior, I have to think that this (the rear LCD shutting off after 30 seconds) is normal.
01-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok, busted out my dormant K3.

It doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.. The back LCD stays on for about 30 seconds regardless of what the 'meter operating time' or 'auto-power-off' is set to.
I connected the O-GPS unit, which I remember to have made the the back-LCD-time shorter - to the point of turning off after just a few seconds after a half-press. And same thing - about 30sec. Also from what I remember, having the RAW/Fx button set to control the top LCD, and using it - there was some weirdness when using that as well.. Yet now that button truly does toggle the top LCD and has no effect on the timing for the back LCD anymore.

So it seems to be acting normal now. Weird.
Maybe it just needed many months resting in my camera bag.

So I guess, now, my only lingering curiosity is what that sound is when powering on the K3.. The K30 doesn't make it, so I don't know what it could be?

Last edited by Hoggy; 01-18-2016 at 10:46 PM.
01-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoggy Quote
So I guess, now, my only lingering curiosity is what that sound is when powering on the K3.. The K30 doesn't make it, so I don't know what it could be?
How good is your hearing? The K-3's ultrasonic dust removal is supposed to be silent, but ...

Check your dust removal settings for both cameras. You can definitely hear the K-30's sensor shake based system!
01-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-3 (& K-5 apparently) startup sound

It's definitely not the dust removal - I can tell the difference between the cams: clunks vs. faint squeal.

According to this thread, it may be either the aperture motor of focus motor:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/279796-k...e-motor-2.html

I had found a better recording of it on Youtube (also without explanation), but can't find it anymore. You can even feel a slight vibration when it does it - just as if gears really are involved.

But if it's either motor, I wonder why would the K-3 need to do it while the K-30 doesn't.

EDIT: OK.. Found it via Youtube history. Here is the better rendition of what I'm hearing.. I guess it happens with the K-5 as well:

Last edited by Hoggy; 01-19-2016 at 08:46 PM.
01-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, yeah,mine do that too.
Guess I just figured it was everything "coming on line."
If the K-30 does that, I wouldn't hear that over its dust removal at start-up.
Tried the K-3 both with a lens and with a body cap, and it did it with each.
Gotta figure it's normal, never-mind what it is.